Delorme InReach NOS or Garmin Version?

Is there any downside to purchasing a Delorme InReach Explorer vs the newer Garmin version? Someone suggested I get one of these NOS and save a bunch of money but don't know if there is any downside that would offset the money saved?

bairdi

FNG
I’m still using my 4 or 5 year old Inreach and it works just fine for what I need it to do. Reliably sends and receives messages either as a stand alone unit or with the app on my phone. Battery life is good. Weather resistant. The weather forecast feature is as accurate enough, even for up here in AK. In the rare instances I need it for navigation, it accurately tells me where I am. I don’t know much about the newer Garmin units because I haven’t had any reason to need to upgrade or replace yet.

OP
F
I’m still using my 4 or 5 year old Inreach and it works just fine for what I need it to do. Reliably sends and receives messages either as a stand alone unit or with the app on my phone. Battery life is good. Weather resistant. The weather forecast feature is as accurate enough, even for up here in AK. In the rare instances I need it for navigation, it accurately tells me where I am. I don’t know much about the newer Garmin units because I haven’t had any reason to need to upgrade or replace yet.

Thanks for the info. Based upon this and some other threads I found in the Garmin version. I ordered one from Cabelas last night for $200 vs the $450 for Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brought my delorme inreach on a quick overnite in the Sierras this weekend and it failed to get a basic mothers day text out to my mom. Pretty disappointing and it reduced my faith in it.

That said, I'm still bitter at Garmin for butchering the once great tri tronics electronic dog collars after they acquired them..

muddydogs

WKR
My work is still using about 80 Delorme SE units with no issues, we are replacing them as the need arises with Garmin SE+ units. My personal SE unit is 4 years old and still working just fine.

muddydogs

WKR
Brought my delorme inreach on a quick overnite in the Sierras this weekend and it failed to get a basic mothers day text out to my mom. Pretty disappointing and it reduced my faith in it.

That said, I'm still bitter at Garmin for butchering the once great tri tronics electronic dog collars after they acquired them..

Posts like this sure don't tell us much unless you include details. The first question I always ask someone having issues with there unit is was the unit turned on long enough to acquire satellites and left on long enough to send the message? Did the unit have a relatively clear view of the sky and not shoved in the pack were it couldn't acquire a signal?

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Delorme inreach during a solo elk hunting trip in the NW Colorado wilderness. Worked flawlessly. Texts were easy and received delivery notifications. The peace of mind for my family was worth well over the $250 that I paid for it.

OP
F
I used my Delorme inreach during a solo elk hunting trip in the NW Colorado wilderness. Worked flawlessly. Texts were easy and received delivery notifications. The peace of mind for my family was worth well over the $250 that I paid for it.

When my wife heard me telling my son that he won't be able to watch his sports YouTube videos on his phone because there won't be cell service she just about flipped. That's when I told her I expected that reaction and had already ordered the Inreach. She actually thanked me because she said "I would have lost my mind not knowing that everything is ok."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: