Spot X???

These just got released. Anybody had a chance to play with one yet? It seems like a good step up as far as a messenger goes. It seems like it is pretty awesome as a communicator but lacks some GPS capabilities. I REALLY like that is can work well on its own. It is not reliant on a cell phone for full functionality. I might pick one up as it seems like it will fit my needs well.

Gorp2007

WKR
Here's a review (First Look: SPOT X 2-Way Satellite Messenger), it looks fine but I'd probably get the Garmin inReach Mini for $100 more. Either one is going to need either a standalone GPS or your phone if you're looking for maps and if I'm already bringing my phone I'd rather have a system that ties into it directly like the Garmin. Both systems offer standalone SOS messaging, so you don't need your phone around to call for help. I don't know if SPOT has updated their billing, but on the older models you had to subscribe for an entire year, whereas Garmin lets you subscribe on a month-by-month basis. That alone can account for the difference in model costs if you're not using a backcountry communicator every month.

Full disclosure, I had an older model SPOT that I sold to buy a Delorme InReach because of the added functionality and cost savings on monthly vs annual subscriptions. The new SPOT X wouldn't change my mind.

dotman

WKR
Don’t just take price and unit functionality as the basis for a decision here, network is key. The spot network is not even close to as good as what the inreach uses. A spot was my first device I had, no way am I going back to that network, globalstar, the iridium network inreach uses is far superior.

Don’t just take price and unit functionality as the basis for a decision here, network is key. The spot network is not even close to as good as what the inreach uses. A spot was my first device I had, no way am I going back to that network, globalstar, the iridium network inreach uses is far superior.

How did you come to the conclusion of the iridium network being far superior to the global star network?

dotman

WKR
How did you come to the conclusion of the iridium network being far superior to the global star network?

Cause it works, my spot was intermittent in CO, MT and ID, many preset messages never were received when sent. I’ve had zero issues with my inreach. Google the issues spot users have and the iridium network covers the entire globe while globalstar does not.

Not my experience but the Avery’s talk about how the spot phone failed to work in ID but was good in AK, maybe they’ll chime in.

Better Buy: Iridium Communications vs. Globalstar -- The Motley Fool

Difference between Iridium vs Global Star vs ICO satellite

Last edited:
Cause it works, my spot was intermittent in CO, MT and ID, many preset messages never were received when sent. I’ve had zero issues with my inreach. Google the issues spot users have and the iridium network covers the entire globe while globalstar does not.

Not my experience but the Avery’s talk about how the spot phone failed to work in ID but was good in AK, maybe they’ll chime in.

Better Buy: Iridium Communications vs. Globalstar -- The Motley Fool

Difference between Iridium vs Global Star vs ICO satellite

The motley fool article is an investors guide and strictly looks at one financial graph that I can’t even find information on if it’s reliable. The author states at the bottom he owns iridium stock so I’m not sure that’s the most reliable source for information.

What is the rfwirless world link supposed to show? I’m not says no you’re wrong I’m just a newer RF engineer working directly in the this field so I was curious.

I am also curious when these issues with the spot device occurred? I found some globalstar issues on google but they were all pre-2010 before globalstar had a satellite upgrade. Last year globalstar announced a partnership with Inmarsat to beef up their coverage. The only reason iridium is still considered global is because you can get service at the north and South Pole. I don’t think any of us are hunting in Antarctica.

dotman

WKR
The motley fool article is an investors guide and strictly looks at one financial graph that I can’t even find information on if it’s reliable. The author states at the bottom he owns iridium stock so I’m not sure that’s the most reliable source for information.

What is the rfwirless world link supposed to show? I’m not says no you’re wrong I’m just a newer RF engineer working directly in the this field so I was curious.

I am also curious when these issues with the spot device occurred? I found some globalstar issues on google but they were all pre-2010 before globalstar had a satellite upgrade. Last year globalstar announced a partnership with Inmarsat to beef up their coverage. The only reason iridium is still considered global is because you can get service at the north and South Pole. I don’t think any of us are hunting in Antarctica.

One thing to look at is financial health and what investments companies are making in their network. If you look at the second link you should undestand the satellite positioning, number of satellites in orbit and uplink downlink rates. Also since you are aware of the possible partnership you will understand globalstar is limited in coverage.

Now I’m just a tax guy so you’ll know way more technical aspects but what I know is my experience from using both, spot/globalstar sucks. Being your in the industry why do you think? Have you used both networks? You don’t work for globalstar I hope because I can then understand standing up for your employer.

In the end I base my decision on which network is better based on how it has performed from my use.

One thing to look at is financial health and what investments companies are making in their network. If you look at the second link you should undestand the satellite positioning, number of satellites in orbit and uplink downlink rates. Also since you are aware of the possible partnership you will understand globalstar is limited in coverage.

Now I’m just a tax guy so you’ll know way more technical aspects but what I know is my experience from using both, spot/globalstar sucks. Being your in the industry why do you think? Have you used both networks? You don’t work for globalstar I hope because I can then understand standing up for your employer.

In the end I base my decision on which network is better based on how it has performed from my use.

I work for an independent research body so I have no specific interest in either company. I’m just in the market for one of these devices and I was wanting more information as I haven’t used either network yet. The financial comment makes total sense and I think you are 100% correct to look at financials, I just couldn’t find any info to back up his financial claims and it looked like the author was heavily biased so I mentioned that.

Globalstar, given the information in the link you provided, looks better on paper to me. Iridium has more satellites and a better elevation minimum but they are half the distance away from earth so each satellite will have much less coverage than globalstar. Globalstar uses much lower uplink/downlink frequencies so their devices should be cheaper to make and hopefully cheaper to the buyer as well. This also makes me think that globalstar might have an edge on reliability since lower frequencies are less susceptible to signal fading from rain or snow etc... Globalstar has almost 4 times the bit rate so you should get faster speeds with the device. Iridium has global coverage but global star has coverage to the +-70 latitude which is about the arctic circle (the uppermost portion of Alaska/Canada), so you would need the iridium device if going above the arctic circle.

I would go with whatever comes out cheaper personally, especially if in the lower 48. Both iridium and the global star satellites can have dead zones and issues with connectivity since the satellites are orbiting around the earth. I respect your experience though. I’d ditch something that failed multiple times on me too.

Does spot devices only have year long contracts and no freedom plans like garmin? That’s a deal breaker for me and would keep me from looking seriously at this spot X device.

dotman

WKR
I work for an independent research body so I have no specific interest in either company. I’m just in the market for one of these devices and I was wanting more information as I haven’t used either network yet. The financial comment makes total sense and I think you are 100% correct to look at financials, I just couldn’t find any info to back up his financial claims and it looked like the author was heavily biased so I mentioned that.

Globalstar, given the information in the link you provided, looks better on paper to me. Iridium has more satellites and a better elevation minimum but they are half the distance away from earth so each satellite will have much less coverage than globalstar. Globalstar uses much lower uplink/downlink frequencies so their devices should be cheaper to make and hopefully cheaper to the buyer as well. This also makes me think that globalstar might have an edge on reliability since lower frequencies are less susceptible to signal fading from rain or snow etc... Globalstar has almost 4 times the bit rate so you should get faster speeds with the device. Iridium has global coverage but global star has coverage to the +-70 latitude which is about the arctic circle (the uppermost portion of Alaska/Canada), so you would need the iridium device if going above the arctic circle.

I would go with whatever comes out cheaper personally, especially if in the lower 48. Both iridium and the global star satellites can have dead zones and issues with connectivity since the satellites are orbiting around the earth. I respect your experience though. I’d ditch something that failed multiple times on me too.

Does spot devices only have year long contracts and no freedom plans like garmin? That’s a deal breaker for me and would keep me from looking seriously at this spot X device.

If I remember correctly yes only annual contracts with spot but I haven’t looked at their pricing since I left them. Also to cancel you have to call and talk to someone, they will also auto renew and bill your card, if you cancel after they bill it’s hard to get a refund. They operate similar to Sirius xm with their billing/customer service model.
With inreach it’s simple to change plans and remove add-on’s like insurance and suspend or cancel service all over the web without talking to a single person.