Delorme, Spot, Garmin. Which one?

I'm looking for some feedback here. I'm looking for a back-country communication device, and want to know why I should buy one versus another. I know the Garmin Inreach is excellent, but it is over twice the money of a Delorme Inreach.

I'm not planning to use the GPS function at all as I do all that on my phone. Simply wanting the Text messages when there's no cell service. Call in the horses when I've got an elk down, let the wife know I'm ok, etc... Anyone have some feedback for me? Thanks!

muddydogs

WKR
First off Delorme and Garmin are the same thing, Delorme started the InReach then a year or so ago Garmin purchased them. There are still Delorme InReach units on the new and used market but in general there the same as Garmin.
A week ago I would have said the InReach was the only option but I now see that Spot has come out with a 2 way communicator. With the Spot unit being new I would be hesitant to jump in to a unit until there proven and there's a few more reviews out showing all the Spot's functions. The InReach is going to be hard to beat in function and reliability.

OP
Buglebrush
Thanks. I just noticed all the other threads on this or I wouldn't of posted. Thanks!

HookUp

WKR
Spot has a new communicating device out called the X out. Looks great, I'll wait for some reviews.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you're deciding between a SPOT and the Garmin/inReach, take into account how many months you'll use it. The SPOT devices are a great deal, but you've got to pay subscription fees for all 12 months of the year. With the SPOT/inReach, I saved money because I only use it 3-4 months a year.