Wrist watch

jmz82

FNG
I have a Suunto core and have had bad luck with it over and over so I'm done with Suunto.

I like the Suunto look so I was considering a Garmin Fenix, probably a 2 cause I don't need the newer features or apps. The only thing that worries me is having to charge it all the time

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

what do you need in a watch?

i personally have never been let down by my Casio g-shok. i would suggest the GW-9400-1CR Master of G. its has all the important watch functions of an abc (altimeter, barometer, compass) and its solar. it also has atomic time, which means you can get the exact time any were in the world off of radio towers that broadcast it. water proof to 30atm or 300 meters. if you take it off your wrist, it will give you accurate temp readings. i would suggest the white face, because the inverted watches are harder to read (i learned the hard way).

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a fenix 3, and if you don't run gps it will last two weeks. Obviously having the gps on cuts that down a great deal. I have been happy with it for both everyday wear, along with hiking and run tracking.

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
Thanks, I did see the Casio's and while I think its maybe the best fit feature wise I wanted something that had a clean look that would go well with dress clothes. Basically I guess im looking for something I can wear all the time, hike/hunt, dressed up, work, etc.

boom

WKR
i forgot and wore my rough scorched earth Casio Pathfinder to a high-brow event. i'm not sure anyone noticed. :D

this year's elk hunt could potentially go the distance at 15 days..with two in front for scouting..i'm wearing my Casio. it just works for me.

i do want the Fenix 5X too..but i'm sure that has it's limitations.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said you were done with Suunto but I've got to say that I'm pretty happy with my Suunto Traverse Alpha. The only thing that the Garmin Fenix 5x has over the Suunto is the maps but personally I don't like all the heart rate sensors and other stuff designed for runners and bikers, I'm a hunter and hiker, all I need is atmospheric info and the gps to help guide me to a point of interest so the Suunto works well for that. I've had no problem with mine so far but then I got it after this last elk season so I haven't had it in subzero weather, it has been through a few snow storms and rain storms and it's holding up well to them.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a Casio G-Shock Mudmaster. It has solar recharge which is a great feature, never ever have to change the batteries. In the 2.5 years I have owned this watch, I have not had an issue. Mine has date, time, alt, barom, temp, compass and more. It is over kill for what I need, but you can drag it thru the mud, rain or whatever, including diving, and it will still work. It also resets itself to the National time clock on a regular basis. You never lose time.

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
I know you said you were done with Suunto but I've got to say that I'm pretty happy with my Suunto Traverse Alpha. The only thing that the Garmin Fenix 5x has over the Suunto is the maps but personally I don't like all the heart rate sensors and other stuff designed for runners and bikers, I'm a hunter and hiker, all I need is atmospheric info and the gps to help guide me to a point of interest so the Suunto works well for that. I've had no problem with mine so far but then I got it after this last elk season so I haven't had it in subzero weather, it has been through a few snow storms and rain storms and it's holding up well to them.

I thought about looking at them but yeah I just wasn't impressed with the one I had and then on top of it I wasn't impressed with the support process, it wasn't terrible but just a pain each time. Its been a year and a half and I have had a number of issues that made the watch at least temporarily unuseable. I have a cheap lad weather thats a year older and has been worn longer and hasn't had a single issue. The fact that I had to keep going back to the "cheap" watch when my suunto quit working irritated me. I guess it all just made me question their quality control since most of the issues didn't appear to be wear and tear.

I had previously asked them during a support ticket when I had to mail my watch in if I could just get a discount on a different version rather than a replacement watch but they just didn't respond.

I got the Fenix 5S about 6 months ago and like it so far. I've worn to the office several times and it dresses up pretty nice. The band has quick connects so you could always swap out for leather if you wanted a more refined look. Haven't used the maps/gps functions much but I like having it as a back up. It is nice to see a text or calendar reminder pop up on the watch without having to dig my phone out of my pocket. Charge lasts about 2 weeks. I personally like the heart rate monitor. It allows for a fairly accurate calorie burn for the day. Realized with working out that I was running a pretty large calorie deficit. That should come in handy on my next hunt to make sure I'm getting enough fuel.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
My wife bought me a garmin vioactive 3 and I really like it so far. She got the gunmetal one for $224 at REI during a sale last month. It does everything that I could need without a lot of extras that I don't. I have had it in the saltwater fishing, completely under water and in some large fuel fires at work, under my bunker gear. It has worked perfectly without a hiccup. Kind of neat to see my heart rate during a fire. I can go over a week on a charge and get two or three charges from a small battery pack. The gps is basic but accurate enough to use as a backup. Altimeter and compass seem accurate too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I got the Fenix 5S about 6 months ago and like it so far. I've worn to the office several times and it dresses up pretty nice. The band has quick connects so you could always swap out for leather if you wanted a more refined look. Haven't used the maps/gps functions much but I like having it as a back up. It is nice to see a text or calendar reminder pop up on the watch without having to dig my phone out of my pocket. Charge lasts about 2 weeks. I personally like the heart rate monitor. It allows for a fairly accurate calorie burn for the day. Realized with working out that I was running a pretty large calorie deficit. That should come in handy on my next hunt to make sure I'm getting enough fuel.

the NEWER Fenix 5S PLUS is ridiculously cool!! way more money, but i think as a sport watch, playing music via bluetooth is cool..and it tracks O2 saturation now as well. it would be cool to see what happens during high elevation playground stuff.

not sure if the pricetag is worth it tho.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I run the G-shock master of G as well. I have worn it every day for 3 years. I am not sure I trust the ABC functions on the watch as they never were the same as any of our garmin gps units in the mountains. Either the watch was wrong or the 2 gps units. I did send it back and they repaired it but still not convinced its right. At his very moment I think it off by 500' which is pretty much par for the course. I use the stop watch all the time and I really like that it has the solar charger for the battery. The last g-shok I had went almost 10 years before it crapped out. I just could not bring myself to pay more than $200 on something I am going to beat the crap out of and then also had to worry about it dying after 2 weeks. Overall I would give it a thumbs up

What about the new Apple Watch? Has heart rate monitor, built in GPS, and there are some map apps available cheap? Also dresses up nice? Just wondering cause I'm also looking at the Fenix but was checking out the Apple watch also considering I cna wear it to the office. Kind of thinking it's too much like my phone though?

OP
J

jmz82

FNG
What about the new Apple Watch? Has heart rate monitor, built in GPS, and there are some map apps available cheap? Also dresses up nice? Just wondering cause I'm also looking at the Fenix but was checking out the Apple watch also considering I cna wear it to the office. Kind of thinking it's too much like my phone though?
I got a Fenix 3 certified refurbished and am happy with the decision. I can connect it to my phone if I want but rarly do. Battery lasts probably over a month. Apple watch would be a no go for me, made to connect to your phone all the time, looks easy to damage the face and I don't think is has all the barometer and altimeter info but I could be wrong

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Casio protrek
Compass is awesome
Two years never a problem,only take off a few minutes per week if i need to at the gym,no batteries ever!