Handgun carrying

Blacks Creek Guide Gear - "RAPTOR" MULTI-PURPOSE BINO SYSTEM - COYOTE BROWN

Elkaddictmark is this the bino system you are trying.How is the bino compartment opened?Tab?Zipper?Any other compartments?

Mflloods3800 do you have any pics or more info on Pods8 holster?Would it work with a G20?Any pics or more info sure appreciated.
Thanks.

No pics yet as it hasn't being built. We have tossed design ideas back and forth and it should be done before too long. I do have our final drawings, but a real pic would promote this best.
It will have 2 tab loops for connecting on every side (4). So it will work with most bino harness set ups.

I will look for the preliminary drawing and post here next.

Warning*
- its so basic and simple, it may just work
lol
a604a8dfbf1e6836973803872d70c01f.jpg

Last edited:

SoDaky

WKR
Thanks!Look forward to seeing pics.Have spent pretty much all afternoon putting binos and backpack on/off and holding real and simulated holsters here/there.Your idea just seems like the best for me.The Razco and others work and almost ordered a Razco but it hangs low on the AGC and bothers me there with that weight.The Black-Creeks bino is great looking to.Love the Serpa retention system but tried for an hour without success to figure a way to mount it where you are talking about.Dang!!!

Yep, I hung holsters every where and went hiking. Nothing for me, felt right. Keep in mind, if it is grizz country, I would say ease of access is above comfort on priority list. And with that said, I can draw it out from behind the bino harness as fast as any where else other than directly below the harness in the special strap set ups. For me I just didn't like the bulk, and when ever I removed or put on the bino harness, it was more cumbersome than I can tolerate. Granted I rarely take it off, but when I did, it was hard for my old shoulders to reach behind me and find straps hanging down.

I can swing the entire harness and the gun stays put. I hope Pods8 finishes it up soon, I'm wanting to wring it out.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
I have been playing with the new bino harness from blacks creek. So far I'm really liking the design. It has a holster built into the front of it that keeps your pistol close and tucked away.
So how's the new bino/gun holder working? Is there a place for both bino & rang finder?
Can't tell on website what kind of compartments it has.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

frankrb3

WKR
I am not going to ask about a handgun vs another choice of bear protection .....but what I am asking about is how do you guys carry your handguns? I plan on getting a g40 10mm
Will be bow hunting this September in Idaho....

I carry my .44 mag on my pant belt in a blade tech kydex holster. It’s mounted on their long drop offset attachment which allows my pack waist belt to clear my holster. I like wearing it this way because this way my gun is always with me even when I drop my pack.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Starting to rethink my carry scenario. Last I checked I am not a police officer, special military operative or ex-western gun slinger. I think my fellow bow hunters in my group might like if I dont cover them with my pistol on my bino harness

So any good thigh holsters you guys recommend I look at ?

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmden

WKR
Starting to rethink my carry scenario. Last I checked I am not a police officer, special military operative or ex-western gun slinger. I think my fellow bow hunters in my group might like if I dont cover them with my pistol on my bino harness

Paul

There are so many that are good, just make sure it has good retention for your pistol and the trigger guard is covered. I've use Blackhawk CQCs for years with paddle attachment so I can quicklly switch from pack belt (depends on your pack) to pants when pack comes off. See post 11 for a new holster for 10mm G40 I'm starting to use.

Paul

My Bino set up has the muzzle aiming directly at the ground just to the left of my feet. No one gets swept with it. I have not liked the side bino harness holsters for this very reason..

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
So for those that do not carry your handgun in the bino harness or some sort of chest rig....what holster do you use? And what sort of system do you employ ; attache to mole on pack belt, drop leg holster system, attach to mole on pack shoulder strap?...
I have a kifaru pack and of course will have my AKG bino harness on.
Thinking maybe a drop leg thigh system that can also allow me to attach holster to pack mole on waist band.

bsnedeker

WKR
So for those that do not carry your handgun in the bino harness or some sort of chest rig....what holster do you use? And what sort of system do you employ ; attache to mole on pack belt, drop leg holster system, attach to mole on pack shoulder strap?...
Thinking maybe a drop leg thigh system that can also allow me to attach holster to pack mole on waist band.

This is my question as well, I was leaning towards a drop-leg arrangements as I don't see anyplace on my chest that would be comfortable. I read a bunch of people saying to stay away from the drop-leg arrangements as they would tire you out but that doesn't make much sense to me. Apparently Yankee Marshall on youtube thinks drop-leg holsters are for idiots, which makes me think drop-leg holsters are a really good idea since I disagree with just about everything that guy says, LOL!

I used this one for a while to be able to quickly switch between belt and pack belt: Amazon.com: Bianchi Military Universal Holster with Trigger Guard: Sports & Outdoors. There is a thumb snap attachment for quicker draw too.

A buddy of mine surprised and got charged by a brown bear close range. All he had time to do was flip his trekking pole into the bear's face. Luckily that was enough to deter the bear, but he said the only way he would have gotten a shot off was if he was carrying a pistol in a friction tension chest holster or carrying a rifle/shotgun ready to shoulder and fire. So, I have switched to a kydex chest holster for my g20. Surprising bears is pretty much always avoidable, but just in case you need to get a quick shot off, I think a chest holster is the way to go.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
So, I have switched to a kydex chest holster for my g20. Surprising bears is pretty much always avoidable, but just in case you need to get a quick shot off, I think a chest holster is the way to go.

There is a guy down in Anchorage making some nice kydex chest rigs. Knightfall Customs is the company.

XrayDoc88

FNG

I've been agonizing over the best way to carry a heavy pistol while bowhunting as well. At first I wanted to thread a holster on the hip belt of my backpack. But the outside belt is only thin nylon with velcro. I'm sure a holster would sag. Plus I'd have to carry the gun another way when I took the backpack off. Then I thought hanging the pistol underneath a bino harness was the way to go. But even if the pistol is angled downward, it would be too easy to muzzle a hunting companion. Plus, at base camp, what do you do, wear the bino harness all the time? Then I considered a chest or shoulder rig. But now the number of shoulder straps is getting excessive. Plus, it must get pretty crowded in front with a separate holster, bino harness and range finder pocket. I've come to the conclusion that for me, the most likely workable solution is to use a thigh holster that rides below the hip belt of my backpack. With this setup I can hang the holster from a more sturdy pants belt that will be underneath the backpack hip belt padding. The holster will also be secured from moving with a strap around my upper thigh. I can put on or remove any gear I'm carrying and the pistol is always with me. I don't have to shift holster locations at base camp. Although you could hang the thigh holster from the packback hip belt and attach a strap around your thigh, this just makes it messy again. Now you can't just take your pack off to rest without undoing the belt attachment.

This is the system I'm considering. Let me know if you have better thigh holster suggestions (or simply feel my whole thinking is flawed).

Micro-Aggression Panel – GunfightersINC

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Xray.....that is the same lines of thinking I was going thru. I could hang the holster on my pack belt if needed though. So something with an option like might work at times.
I heard good things about the black hawk serpa cqc holster but I dont know if it's made for glock g40 mos

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Just got confirm from black hawk....no go for g40 mos

wyodan

WKR
Xray and Paul, I have gone through the same thinking, and just recently picked up the Microagression panel. I think it is the way to go. It drops it down far enough to make it easier to draw. When the pistol is on the pack belt, it is hard to draw. Plus after taking off the pack, the pistol is still with you. It does cause a little extra fatigue in the one leg, but not bad. For me, it was a good investment. I'm just using one of the Mystery Ranch holsters, as I can put that on my pack if I wanted to for some reason.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Thanks for the info. Does that micro aggression panel snug down enough to not flop around?
I was looking at perhaps a diamond custom holster and drop loop. It should hang low enough off belt to clear pack

wyodan

WKR
It doesn't flop around for me. Plus it is reasonably cheap, and if you want to mount the holster to the pack belt or something different, it is the same mounting system.