sheep pack weight ?

Wow troutbum..you got me rethinking things here. Primarily the 9 lb rifle I planned on using.

Seems like waiting out storms in the patrol tarp would wear on a guy. It looks like you forego a bivy with that bathtub floor?

I haven’t had the opportunity to use the Patrol tarp in any kind of inclement weather thus far but I have waited storms out, for multiple days, in other floorless solo shelters and yeah, it wears on a person for sure.
I set the shelter up with the CF bathtub attached inside and eliminated the bivy all together. It ended up shaving another 3 oz. off of the sleep system.
I’ll be sheep hunting with my son this year so we’ll be able to split up the weight a little bit with the commonly shared items. The plan is to only hike in for a week, but have more gear/supplies back at the strip that were flown into. So, I’m hoping to have my sons pack only weighing in at about 25 lbs or maybe a little more and mine to weigh in at around 37 lbs. We are only taking one rifle and those were the rough estimates I came up with last night.

I'm heavy on the spotter and tripod at 6.5 lbs for a swaro 65mm but find it a valuable tool to have for sheep.

That’s one piece of equipment (80mm Swaro HD), that could absolutely lose some weight, but I don’t think I really want to. I’ve been considering other, much lighter weight, scopes but I am super happy with the one I have and I don’t think I wanna give up anything in regards to quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think sub 50 lbs counting everything but the clothes you’re wearing is a reasonable goal with 10 days of food and a full size spotter and tripod. I’m trying to come in at 40 lbs for a 6 day elk hunt but I may be slightly over that unless I spring for a quilt this year.

It makes no sense to me why people talk about gear weight minus food, water, rifle, and optics. Break your food weight down to a daily average and use that based on the length of the trip. My kit probably weighs 12 lbs without that. :rolleyes:

If you’re hunting with a partner, one person can carry the shelter while the other carries the spotter and tripod. If you’re spike camping, focus on saving weight on the hunting gear you’ll carry every day. I’d rather carry a 45 lb pack in then hunt with a 20 lb pack for a week than carry a 40 lb pack in and hunt with 25 lbs on my back every day.

I hear you, I never go into the mountains without trekking poles, I prefer cork handles though. The shelter I listed is a MLD Patrol tarp, but I can substitute a Locus Gear (2 person), Hapi for only a 6oz., give or take, wt. gain.

Patrol tarp vs.Hapi
915f0a02b6274ebf4af81d6df5af3118.jpg

97d4d31f8ea4a9abc6db9a3ba8d05e95.jpg

aeac9dd145fb9fd8209d36b6c25c712d.jpg

45a8583e97533c01fc8ff37f0b193e09.jpg

I was looking at the Hapi's more today, $$$ for that Dyneema version..

Is that picture on the scale with cordage and stakes and do you plan to run the same bathtub floor?

I was looking at the Hapi's more today, $$$ for that Dyneema version..

Is that picture on the scale with cordage and stakes and do you plan to run the same bathtub floor?

Don’t know if I understand your question but the Patrol tarp with cordage, stakes, and bathtub floor (as seen in picture #2), weighs approximately 14 oz.

Don’t know if I understand your question but the Patrol tarp with cordage, stakes, and bathtub floor (as seen in picture #2), weighs approximately 14 oz.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the weight of the Hapi in stuff sack, assuming that it was cordage and stakes and no bathtub? And separate question was did you intend to use the same or any bathtub floor in the hapi?

The Hapi seems like an awesome option, debating between that and a Duomid with solo nest or tub as a solo shelter.

Sure thing Tom, here goes.

SG Sky 7400 w/Xcurve, two belt pockets, CF pack cover, and Kifaru gun bearer=93 oz.

Minimal extra clothing (rain pants/jacket, 1 pair underwear, 2 pair socks, down puffy jacket/pants, merino wool pants/shirt, down mittens, gloves, and beanie),=69 oz.

camp shoes=8 oz.

Spotting scope/tripod=82 oz.

Sleep system (CF shelter, stakes/cordage, EE quilt, CF bathtub floor, and small Xlite pad all in a CF stuff pillow)=38 oz. This wt. could go up by about 6 oz. if I decide to take a bigger, 2 person, CF shelter.

Cook system (titanium pot/lid, long spoon, BRS stove, lighter, and 100g Jetboil fuel)=11 oz.

Misc. CF dry bags/stuff sacks for everything except food=2-4 oz.

SG load cell (all food goes in this), 5 oz.

3L of water in Camelback type bag=110 oz.

3-1 liter Platypus bags and Sawyer Squeeze water filter system=5 oz.

10-Mountain house breakfasts and 10-Mountain house dinners (b-fast=5 oz. each and dinners=6 oz. each)=110 oz.

Misc. food (Gatorade powder, cheese, meat sticks, trail mix, etc.), approx. 40 oz.

Kimber Mountain Ascent .270 Win. (fully loaded), with Talley LW rings/bases and Leupold VX2 UL scope=101 oz.

Kill kit (to include headlamp/batteries, 9'x12' visqueen, 2-Tag bags, 2-Kestrel knives{caper and skinner}, knife sharpener, heavy duty rubber gloves, flagging tape, and some misc. cordage all in a zippered CF bag) =26 oz.

Electronics in a zippered CF bag (includes iPhone/cord and Phoneskope, sat phone/battery, and battery bank),=27 oz.

First aid kit/toiletries, and misc. all in CF bag (includes toothbrush/paste, toilet paper, reading and sun glasses, lighter, Ibuprofen, sunscreen, gauze, emergency bivy, cuben fiber repair tape, tenacious tape, bacitracin ointment, band-aidschapstick, and leuko tape),=10 oz.

Not included in backpack wt. is; what I'm wearing, trekking poles, bino pack and everything that goes in there, ie., range binos, lens cleaning cloth, GPS, ear plugs, bino pack rain cover, and extra ammo, and my pistol/ammo, that I wear in a chest holster.

So, if my math is correct, that comes to 738 oz. or 46.1 lbs. If I tack on the electric bear fence that adds 38 oz., but I generally only take the fence to Kodiak for goat hunts.

If you see something that I'm obviously missing, let me know, but I think that's it.

Great list. You have obviously worked hard on this honing what works for you over the years. Well done!
Comparing to mine at first glance I thought I was about the same but my pack weight is around 53.25lbs.
Then I looked in a bit closer on your list and where you save weight over mine...just to see what I could improve!

Huge difference in food. Looks like you only run about 1800 calories a day assuming you are running Mountain house meals that average 120ish cal/oz and same for misc food. I eat 90% of my food in 10-11 days and average 3715 cal/day and 125.8cal/oz.
That is a 9lb difference in pack weight! I think I may just need to tough it out a bit more...

Do you still have pretty good energy with that low of a calorie consumption during the day?

Another 13oz in pack, 9oz in rifle (my MA is 7mag...), 11oz in spotter, head, tripod, 9oz in clothing,
I've got some work to do!

That is amazing efficiency out of that BRS stove! A little 100g canister would only last 5 days max in my windpro making two dehydrated meals a day and no tea/coffee.
Those BRS stoves are so small and seem a bit fragile...have you had good experience with yours?
My MSR is a bit heavy and is old enough to buy tobacco legally...so I should upgrade at some point

OP-Sorry for hijacking a bit...but trekking poles are a necessity so many uses like troutbum says

I'm sorry, I was referring to the weight of the Hapi in stuff sack, assuming that it was cordage and stakes and no bathtub? And separate question was did you intend to use the same or any bathtub floor in the hapi?

The Hapi seems like an awesome option, debating between that and a Duomid with solo nest or tub as a solo shelter.

So the wt. of the Hapi is with the stuff sack, and all cordage and stakes (7-9” carbon fiber and 6-MSR mini groundhog stakes/CF stake bag). I’ve only used a bivy (6 oz.), in my Mids, so I’ve never set them up with any kind of a nest or bathtub ground sheet, and the bivy was not included in the Hapi picture wt. I actually have a MLD CF SoloMid nest/innernet that I’ve never used and would like to get rid of, if you know anyone that’s interested.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
I've seen tourists getting off the tour bus in Dawson City and walking
the sidewalks with trekking poles......seems to work for them!

Huge difference in food. Looks like you only run about 1800 calories a day assuming you are running Mountain house meals that average 120ish cal/oz and same for misc food. I eat 90% of my food in 10-11 days and average 3715 cal/day and 125.8cal/oz.
That is a 9lb difference in pack weight! I think I may just need to tough it out a bit more...

Do you still have pretty good energy with that low of a calorie consumption during the day?

That is amazing efficiency out of that BRS stove! A little 100g canister would only last 5 days max in my windpro making two dehydrated meals a day and no tea/coffee.
Those BRS stoves are so small and seem a bit fragile...have you had good experience with yours?
My MSR is a bit heavy and is old enough to buy tobacco legally...so I should upgrade at some point

My typical food for the day is a mountain house breakfast and dinner, then I usually just snack periodically throughout the day on cheese, some kind of beef sticks/jerky, trail mix, etc. So here’s a typical breakfast and dinner, about 1600 cal. combined, and then with the other snacks added in, I’m probably taking in right around 2000 cal a day.
3e63f1a22a821b5317a5386e9ad28ef4.heic

There are times that I’ve been hiking really hard and forget about eating, then find myself burning out and having to stop and eat something, but usually I don’t have any issues with low energy.
I’ve also been on hunts and ended up taking too much food because, for whatever reason, I wasn’t hungry enough at the end of the day to eat a dinner. I always lose weight on a hunt but I pretty much always go in a little heavier anyway. My fighting weight is right around 150 lbs. and right now I’m just under 160, and that’s what I’ll probably be at when I start hunting this fall.

Here’s the stove wt. (stove, 20 oz. pot/lid, hot lips, spoon, and lighter), with a 100g fuel container and then with a 230 g container.

9140807a0bd3299d5fe37aea445d4350.jpg

e2a10ce3bb45f4083fc0c94a351d1e66.jpg

I found that if I burn with a much lower flame, and take even twice as long to heat up 16 oz. of water, my fuel consumption is greatly reduced. I did some pretty extensive testing and compared it with a MSR Pocket Rocket and a Jetboil SOL, weighing the fuel canister to calculate how much fuel was burned after each test, and also timing how long it took to bring 16 oz. to boil. The BRS and MSR were pretty much identical with everything except the actual weight of the stove itself and the Jetboil system was, all in all, quite a bit more efficient but obviously, quite a bit heavier as well.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Troutbum does it about as light as I've ever seen while still being honest. I'm on the heavy side of pack weights but I'll stay longer, glass harder and be able to keep a positive attitude if I'm comfortable (not saying TB isn't, just speaking for myself). I just have to make sure I'm in good enough shape to carry it all.

I average a little over 1lb of food per day so that's an easy 10lbs in my pack.
Everywhere I go, I take 100oz of water so there's 6.5lbs.
Add in my gun at 7.5lbs.
Sleep system (Hilleberg Akto, Xlite Reg, Down Bag) is around 6lbs.
Rain gear, hat/gloves and puffy pants/jacket is around 4.5lbs.
Kifaru Fulcrum and Frame is, off the top of my head, 7lbs???
Stove, pot/cup and fuel 1.5lbs.
Spotter/Tripod 5lbs.
Kahtoola Microspikes and Trekking Poles (Black Diamond Trail Back) 2lbs.
Camera, crocs, phone, batteries 2lbs.
Binos, rangefinder, Marsupial pack 2lbs.
Headlamp, knife, game bags, water filter etc etc small stuff 3lbs.

Probably forgetting an item or two but that puts me at 57 lbs.

I'll lose a few more pounds myself before I worry too much about spending the money to cut weight.

C Bow

WKR
Troutbum what kind and what diameter carbon pole do you use and why so long for the HAPI

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on about 3,000 calories per day at about 120 calories/ounce. That makes for roughly 25oz (1.56 lbs) of food per day. For a 12 day trip that puts me at 18.75lbs of weight.

Troutbum what kind and what diameter carbon pole do you use and why so long for the HAPI

I just use my trekking poles and a couple carbon fiber pole extenders when it’s pitched in an A-frame configuration, otherwise I just use a single trekking pole for that shelter.

My typical food for the day is a mountain house breakfast and dinner, then I usually just snack periodically throughout the day on cheese, some kind of beef sticks/jerky, trail mix, etc. So here’s a typical breakfast and dinner, about 1600 cal. combined, and then with the other snacks added in, I’m probably taking in right around 2000 cal a day.

There are times that I’ve been hiking really hard and forget about eating, then find myself burning out and having to stop and eat something, but usually I don’t have any issues with low energy.
I’ve also been on hunts and ended up taking too much food because, for whatever reason, I wasn’t hungry enough at the end of the day to eat a dinner. I always lose weight on a hunt but I pretty much always go in a little heavier anyway. My fighting weight is right around 150 lbs. and right now I’m just under 160, and that’s what I’ll probably be at when I start hunting

I found that if I burn with a much lower flame, and take even twice as long to heat up 16 oz. of water, my fuel consumption is greatly reduced. I did some pretty extensive testing and compared it with a MSR Pocket Rocket and a Jetboil SOL, weighing the fuel canister to calculate how much fuel was burned after each test, and also timing how long it took to bring 16 oz. to boil. The BRS and MSR were pretty much identical with everything except the actual weight of the stove itself and the Jetboil system was, all in all, quite a bit more efficient but obviously, quite a bit heavier as well.

Thanks Troutbum. I went in 163 last year on sheep hunt and came out 159...I'm 6ft so at 159 lots of ribs showing haha.
I just get too sluggish if I'm running a big calorie deficit.
This year I'm just chasing elk and antelope so I may try dipping down to 2200-2400/day and test it out.
If I run out of food I can just hike out!
Problem I see myself running into is...wow saved 5lbs on food...time to pack some whiskey.

I will have to pick one of those BRS up...hard to give my old friend up but hard to argue against that efficiency/weight savings.

jherald

WKR
Usually at 45-48 pounds pack weight for 10 days hunt all in, minus rifle and binos. I'll grab water as I go.

TXCO

WKR
50-55 is a good target going solo, 40-45 if youre sharing gear like tent, spotter, etc. Trekking poles are so important in the mountains.

The other big thing to remember is how do you plan on getting an animal out? Not many people can pack out a sheep in one trip, let alone with camp.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't plugged in all my exact numbers in a while but with 10 days of food (1.35lb/day), 3L of water, weapon and pack included but not including binos on chest, bino harness, or any clothes/boots I'm wearing my total weight comes in right around 46-47lbs. One great way I've found to save some weight is by using a 100% dry food menu. That means you leave the mountain houses, stove, fuel canister and utensils at home. It also saves on the amount of water you use which is great when hunting areas where water is scarce.

Trekking poles are a MUST imho. May seem nerdy but are lifesaving and can also function as support poles for your shelter.

Stid2677

WKR
My pack weight changes from hunt to hunt,, every hunt is a bit different. Later season might need more insulation, longer trip more food...

Ask yourself,, what is worth carrying for you?

Just like any transport,, ATV, Plane, Boat whatever, you need to know what the max load is right??? Then plan back from that number, so say a sheep and cape is 100 ish and you can haul 175 lbs on your back, then the max you want in your pack is 75 lbs.

People tend to bring too much food and too many clothes.....

In the 50s is the average for a 10 day trip.