sheep pack weight ?

super

Banned
when all the sheep hunters go for a back pack hunt whats your weight of the pack gear included

also do you guys use a walkin stick if so what kind.

EastMT

WKR
The lowest I know of is about 35, some go at 80+. Most cub flight require less than 50 gun not included. 48 oz of water, light gun, you are at 60 if you max out your 50lb limit.

ljalberta

WKR
Newer sheep hunter here, but last year I was 60lbs on the nose for 11 days solo including a liter of water and everything but the shirt/pants/boots I was wearing. Could definitely shed some more pounds.

My pack weighs just under 50 lb. for a 10 day, solo hunt. This is everything in my pack including 3L water, spotter, rifle/ammo, etc. That's going in as light as I can and not including any comfort items like bourbon, a book to read, etc. This wt. doesn't include my bino pack, chest holster/pistol, or the clothes I'm wearing.

• Banned
OP
S

super

Banned
40 lbs would be great that might be tough to do.

• Banned
OP
S

super

Banned
what about walkin sticks any one useing them ?

EastMT

WKR
Yes, I made fun of the hippie sticks for a lot of years, until I used a pair. I won’t hunt without them now, even when not in steep country.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
My pack weighs just under 50 lb. for a 10 day, solo hunt. This is everything in my pack including 3L water, spotter, rifle/ammo, etc. That's going in as light as I can and not including any comfort items like bourbon, a book to read, etc. This wt. doesn't include my bino pack, chest holster/pistol, or the clothes I'm wearing.

WTF!? NO BOURBON?????????
We gotta talk.........

Randy

WTF!? NO BOURBON?????????
We gotta talk.........

Randy

That is my pack wt. without bourbon. Have you seen my new Diamond D chest holster?
d1e028441daa945f86fcaa02b5a76efd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider

That is impressive at 50lbs for 10 days. Especially since that includes your rifle/ammo, 3L water and the spotter. I am doing my first sheep hunt this year too and have been going through all my gear in an attempt to get the pack weight down to a low starting point. Any chance you could post up a gear list? I have seen a couple of lists close to that weight but they usually don’t include rifle, water and optics. I know I have seen that you use a lot of cuben fiber gear so that must help.

Sure thing Tom, here goes.

SG Sky 7400 w/Xcurve, two belt pockets, CF pack cover, and Kifaru gun bearer=93 oz.

Minimal extra clothing (rain pants/jacket, 1 pair underwear, 2 pair socks, down puffy jacket/pants, merino wool pants/shirt, down mittens, gloves, and beanie),=69 oz.

camp shoes=8 oz.

Spotting scope/tripod=82 oz.

Sleep system (CF shelter, stakes/cordage, EE quilt, CF bathtub floor, and small Xlite pad all in a CF stuff pillow)=38 oz. This wt. could go up by about 6 oz. if I decide to take a bigger, 2 person, CF shelter.

Cook system (titanium pot/lid, long spoon, BRS stove, lighter, and 100g Jetboil fuel)=11 oz.

Misc. CF dry bags/stuff sacks for everything except food=2-4 oz.

SG load cell (all food goes in this), 5 oz.

3L of water in Camelback type bag=110 oz.

3-1 liter Platypus bags and Sawyer Squeeze water filter system=5 oz.

10-Mountain house breakfasts and 10-Mountain house dinners (b-fast=5 oz. each and dinners=6 oz. each)=110 oz.

Misc. food (Gatorade powder, cheese, meat sticks, trail mix, etc.), approx. 40 oz.

Kimber Mountain Ascent .270 Win. (fully loaded), with Talley LW rings/bases and Leupold VX2 UL scope=101 oz.

Kill kit (to include headlamp/batteries, 9'x12' visqueen, 2-Tag bags, 2-Kestrel knives{caper and skinner}, knife sharpener, heavy duty rubber gloves, flagging tape, and some misc. cordage all in a zippered CF bag) =26 oz.

Electronics in a zippered CF bag (includes iPhone/cord and Phoneskope, sat phone/battery, and battery bank),=27 oz.

First aid kit/toiletries, and misc. all in CF bag (includes toothbrush/paste, toilet paper, reading and sun glasses, lighter, Ibuprofen, sunscreen, gauze, emergency bivy, cuben fiber repair tape, tenacious tape, bacitracin ointment, band-aidschapstick, and leuko tape),=10 oz.

Not included in backpack wt. is; what I'm wearing, trekking poles, bino pack and everything that goes in there, ie., range binos, lens cleaning cloth, GPS, ear plugs, bino pack rain cover, and extra ammo, and my pistol/ammo, that I wear in a chest holster.

So, if my math is correct, that comes to 738 oz. or 46.1 lbs. If I tack on the electric bear fence that adds 38 oz., but I generally only take the fence to Kodiak for goat hunts.

If you see something that I'm obviously missing, let me know, but I think that's it.

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Troutbum, that's dang light. For 8-10 days in the mtns. I always seem to be right around the 60-64 lb mark and that's splitting the tent, spotter, and cooking system between two people. My 60 lbs includes bino w/ harness, boots, and all clothing I'm wearing. Pull those out and I guess I'm not that far off the 50 lb mark but definitely not approaching 46 lbs.

38 oz. on a full sleep system is crazy light! What cuben fiber shelter are you using? I'm in need of a good one man tent. I'm also looking at changing up my bag this year to shave and easy 7-9 oz. A quilt would save me even more weight

Trekking poles are a must for me and have saved my arse from rolling down a mountain more than once. Not to mention they really help save the knees and low back. I've used Black Diamond poles for years. No matter the brand, always get flip lock closures. Anti-shock is a pure sales gimmic unless your doing power walks everyday down the sidewalk with your 70 year old neighbor Phyllis. Foam handles are my favorite, cork second, and rubber doesn't even make the list. Rubber is constantly grimmy, slimy, and gritty in your hand.

Troutbum, that's dang light. For 8-10 days in the mtns. I always seem to be right around the 60-64 lb mark and that's splitting the tent, spotter, and cooking system between two people. My 60 lbs includes bino w/ harness, boots, and all clothing I'm wearing. Pull those out and I guess I'm not that far off the 50 lb mark but definitely not approaching 46 lbs.

38 oz. on a full sleep system is crazy light! What cuben fiber shelter are you using? I'm in need of a good one man tent. I'm also looking at changing up my bag this year to shave and easy 7-9 oz. A quilt would save me even more weight

Trekking poles are a must for me and have saved my arse from rolling down a mountain more than once. Not to mention they really help save the knees and low back. I've used Black Diamond poles for years. No matter the brand, always get flip lock closures. Anti-shock is a pure sales gimmic unless your doing power walks everyday down the sidewalk with your 70 year old neighbor Phyllis. Foam handles are my favorite, cork second, and rubber doesn't even make the list. Rubber is constantly grimmy, slimy, and gritty in your hand.

I hear you, I never go into the mountains without trekking poles, I prefer cork handles though. The shelter I listed is a MLD Patrol tarp, but I can substitute a Locus Gear (2 person), Hapi for only a 6oz., give or take, wt. gain.

Patrol tarp vs.Hapi
915f0a02b6274ebf4af81d6df5af3118.jpg

97d4d31f8ea4a9abc6db9a3ba8d05e95.jpg

aeac9dd145fb9fd8209d36b6c25c712d.jpg

45a8583e97533c01fc8ff37f0b193e09.jpg

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Greg! That indeed is a good breakdown of gear/clothing. I dont have any cuben fiber yet so I will have to take that weight penalty. Everything else looks quite doable. Once I get my “list” figured out I will post it up.

duchntr

WKR
I'm around 45-55lbs (everything glass, rifle, etc) for 10 days with a partner splitiing shared items. Trekking poles are BD alpine's and whippets. Best way to drop weight is to carry less crap. I use everything I bring, if you think you MIGHT need it than leave it behind.

Best way to drop weight is to carry less crap. I use everything I bring, if you think you MIGHT need it than leave it behind.

Yup, and the more stuff that has multiple uses is also a way to shave wt., like using your trekking poles for your shelter setup and, in some cases, for your shooting sticks, etc.

Wow troutbum..you got me rethinking things here. Primarily the 9 lb rifle I planned on using.

Seems like waiting out storms in the patrol tarp would wear on a guy. It looks like you forego a bivy with that bathtub floor?

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Same as previous comments always use trekking poles and flip lock is the best. I've had a pair of Leki poles for 10 yrs now that work great.

My pack weight is around the 60LBS mark, with everything for 10 day sheep hunt with 2 lts of water, food and gun. My sleep system is heavier as I use a 2 person tent for myself and a nemo sleeping bag, quilts just don't work for me but I'm happy to make that weight sacrifice to have plenty of room for my gear and dry stuff out in the 2 person tent. Plus I'm heavy on the spotter and tripod at 6.5 lbs for a swaro 65mm but find it a valuable tool to have for sheep. After every trip out I look at wasn't used and usually don't bring it again, except first aid kit, That should never be used. LOL. That's For late season sheep too in Sept/Oct if I go in Aug I will cut probably close to 2-4 lbs from clothes/gloves/beanie.