Camping Water Filter

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions on a good water filter to be used out of a vehicle? Want one that is relatively inexpensive, quality, and can be used to filter 1-5 gallons of water pretty quickly.

Thanks!

Get the big msr drom bag with built in filter
Not cheapest but best option for camp set up
For my system any way

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Napperm4

WKR
Platypus gravity works is another great option. I’ve been using them solo and group camps for about 8 years with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platypus gravity works is another great option. I’ve been using them solo and group camps for about 8 years with no issues.

I agree. I just used the Gravity Works last season and was amazed at how well it worked compared to the pumping method with an MSR. SO MUCH easier and no issues, even in cattle country. Very impressive.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I agree. I just used the Gravity Works last season and was amazed at how well it worked compared to the pumping method with an MSR. SO MUCH easier and no issues, even in cattle country. Very impressive.

This really surprises me. I would think that the pump would be faster than gravity.

I'm not familiar with how the system works. So I guess you have a "Dirty bag" and a "clean bag" and you just elevate the dirty bag to get it to flow?

At first I thought that the bags might be nice if you camped next to a stream or something that you could just fill the bag and drink from it. I will probably have to drive or hike to a water source and will fill up some containers and then head back to camp - but I guess if the system is more efficient that pumping it will work at any location that way.

I have a saywer mini filter that I use for backpacking. Could this be rigged up to filter using the gravity method?

Napperm4

WKR
This really surprises me. I would think that the pump would be faster than gravity.

I'm not familiar with how the system works. So I guess you have a "Dirty bag" and a "clean bag" and you just elevate the dirty bag to get it to flow?

At first I thought that the bags might be nice if you camped next to a stream or something that you could just fill the bag and drink from it. I will probably have to drive or hike to a water source and will fill up some containers and then head back to camp - but I guess if the system is more efficient that pumping it will work at any location that way.

I have a saywer mini filter that I use for backpacking. Could this be rigged up to filter using the gravity method?

Yes it can. That’s how I started with gravity filters. It’s a little bit slower than the platty system but works awesome.

When i rigged it up I still bought a dirty platypus bag (big zip marked permanently as “dirty” to avoid confusion.) I put a couple quick connects inline on my pack bladder and fill right into it without having to remove it from the pack.

The gravity systems are actually handier camping away from a stream. You can filter super fast using the Sawyer mini too into all your clean bags then fill the dirty bag to filter later.

I do this all the time in early season when I set up on ridges and peaks to buy myself some extra glassing time where getting fresh water means melting snow if it’s still there or a hike back down.

If I’m backpacking in the off-season with the wife and dog I add a couple Nalgene canteens for extra capacity depending on availability of water.

f0acc30ecd256a9b7a36477f4caa1043.jpg

Here’s my solo set up. With the bladder I have 6L capacity

d9b2fc59ec7d8b29b524c69f7237f6f9.jpg

Bladder with quick connects

a5effce78271152a309bc09abad79be4.jpg

Solo weight

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Yes it can. That’s how I started with gravity filters. It’s a little bit slower than the platty system but works awesome.

When i rigged it up I still bought a dirty platypus bag (big zip marked permanently as “dirty” to avoid confusion.) I put a couple quick connects inline on my pack bladder and fill right into it without having to remove it from the pack.

The gravity systems are actually handier camping away from a stream. You can filter super fast using the Sawyer mini too into all your clean bags then fill the dirty bag to filter later.

I do this all the time in early season when I set up on ridges and peaks to buy myself some extra glassing time where getting fresh water means melting snow if it’s still there or a hike back down.

If I’m backpacking in the off-season with the wife and dog I add a couple Nalgene canteens for extra capacity depending on availability of water.

f0acc30ecd256a9b7a36477f4caa1043.jpg

Here’s my solo set up. With the bladder I have 6L capacity

d9b2fc59ec7d8b29b524c69f7237f6f9.jpg

Bladder with quick connects

a5effce78271152a309bc09abad79be4.jpg

Solo weight

Pretty cool setup. Thanks for the info.