Trekking poles?

OP
S
I ended up buying the cascade mountain poles. Haven’t tried them yet but they seem nice. I don’t know much about them so I will have to wait until I give them some use. They seem to lock well and the only downside I can see is they don’t collapse real small. But that’s fine by me

slowelk

WKR
Costco carbon cork flick lock, 15 oz. for the the pair and $29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With as much money as we all spend on gear I had a hard time thinking these would be the right solution, but they are excellent. The are sturdy, lightweight, and plain do the job. Even if they break (don't know why they would), you can have multiple sets for what most others cost. Cascade Mountain Tech is the brand on these, you can get them at walmart, but they are more expensive than the Costco set.

Jimss

WKR
I got a pair of Leki's for about 1/2 price from Sierra Trading. I've used them on several Alaska/Colorado sheep and mtn goat hunts.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I heard a rumor that Steve Speck is building a trekking pole for S&S Archery. I also heard that they weigh about 6.3 ounces each, and that they will be available in a few weeks for $120 a pair. Just rumors tho...

rob

Tag_Soup

WKR
They are awesome and I am in agreement with most that they are like 4WD for hiking. I will say I do find some things less convenient though since I started running them.
1) my bow is on my back if I have poles in my hands and it has cost me at least 1 shot opportunity.
2) I pitch my shelter with them, which is awesome! but...once my shelter is up I don't have both poles anymore to hike with. I sometimes will still take one and keep my bow in the other hand. This works pretty well, but you still have a potentially noisy pole in your hand to lay down before a shot.

A benefit I haven't seen on here yet is using a trecking pole as a monopod. I frequently glass with my binos resting on the end of my trecking pole while sitting. It isn't quite as stable as a tripod, but it is quick, convenient, and way more stable than free-hand glassing.

I have had the costco version for 2 years and love them. I am a pretty big guy and haven't hand any issues with them. Just get the tension locks right so they don't slip and you are good to go. Light, pack easily, and the grips are fantastic. Honestly I can't believe I haven't broken one yet with the abuse I put them through.

snakelk

WKR
Costco carbon cork flick lock, 15 oz. for the the pair and $29.

This. Hard to beat these for the price. I'd definitely get the cork handles. Costco sold these with the foam handles a couple of years ago, but they are back to cork now.

Someone on here mentioned the Costco carbon poles were heavy compared to the Black Diamond they recommended. I'd check on that. From my research, the specs on the Black Diamonds show them as equal to or heavier than the Cascade Mountain Techs from Costco.

Hard to go wrong with the 15 oz Costco carbons for $30, especially if you're not sure you're going to use them much.

snakelk

WKR
I ended up buying the cascade mountain poles. Haven’t tried them yet but they seem nice. I don’t know much about them so I will have to wait until I give them some use. They seem to lock well and the only downside I can see is they don’t collapse real small. But that’s fine by me

Solid choice.

15.69 oz. according to this.
39fdf45131722253508eaf8f3ca659ff.jpg

Guess I'll eat my words.
Black diamonds are 16.5 ish.
With tips tho.
My lady gave the costco ones to here Sister.
Wonder if they were different ones, they should be over this weekend.
Hope I haven't got so hoity toity that cheap stuff just feels heavy lol.