Trekking poles?

I am thinking I might try some trekking poles, never have. I think they might really help. What are some pros and cons and what are decent ones to get. I will not use them a ton, so longevity isn’t that big of a deal. Maybe a few hunts. I have actually heard good things about the cascade mountain carbons from Costco. Any input is appreciated!

Black Diamond trail ergo corks.
Can get 20% off at Rei until 28th.
I love mine, try to never leave home without them.
The costco ones seem decent but they are quite a bit heavier.
I bet u will really like trekking poles and would suggest just spending a little extra do u don't have to buy twice.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a lot off deadfall to navigate through and the trekking poles really help with a relatively light pack (about 40 pounds). Descending steep hills is another way they help a lot.

I don’t think there are crazy heavy ones so unless you need to watch ounces just look for quality and a cork grip. Avoid twist locks. Personally I’m not a fan of the ones that section out like a tent pole, kinda limits tarp set up on uneven terrain. Mine have flip locks that can come loose. My little multi tool has a flathead that fits the screw if I need to tighten them.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
No cons at all. They really save your legs in the mountains and have prevented many falls for myself, I'll never head out with out them.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I will be picking at least one of these up to swap out with one of the BD trekking poles I use. I would not go into the mountains without my trekking poles. They make ascending and descending mountains with a pack a wee bit easier.

111536_whippet_ext_web.jpg

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Trekking poles are a must for me in the mountains or even even flatter ground if I'm carrying a load. Poles help keep you more upright when packing a load which saves the back. They also take pressure off the knees on the down hill.

I'm a fan of Black Diamond. Leki is also good. Make sure you get flip locks. Twist locks like to come loose and collapse on you. Antishock is a pointless gimic.

Buy some poles and you'll be wondering how you made it this far in life without them.

OP
S
Not every day you have a unanimous opinion! Thanks everyone, looks like I will be getting some trekking poles!

I started a thread on this in December if you want to check it out. I haven't taken them out much yet but I'm happy with my Black Diamond two piece poles. I think they'll be really good and researched quite a bit beforehand. I was focused on sturdiness. The Costco ones seem like a good budget option.

CorbLand

WKR
You will like them.

I suggest anything with cork handles. I tried the rubber ones and they caused hot spots on my hand within a mile of using them. Gave them away a soon as I could find someone to take them. I will also say I wish I hadnt gotten the twist locks, the flip locks are much much better. When I have to get new ones I will get the flip locks for sure.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above, rubber handles suck. Rubber gets sweaty, gritty, and dirty. I prefer the foam grips but cork is a close second.

jmz82

FNG
everyone here is suggesting the more expensive poles. I agree that they are better for handles, straps, weight, etc but they tend to cost 5 times more too. I've seen the expensive ones get bent and broken fairly easily. For the benefits I have trouble justifying the cost, I havn't had the rubber handles bother me to the point of hurting or really being that bad and if I am really looking to cut the amount of weight I would save, id probably be better off spending the month somewhere else. I'm not saying anyone here is wrong, because they are right, I'm just saying I'll but cheap and be less upset when I break a pole.

If you want super cheap get a set of bamboo poles from the garden center. Drill a hole and use 550 cord for a loop.
$10 that's what I did to make sure I wanted poles.

Black Diamond aluminum 3-piece Trail Pros with foam grips for me. Same pair the past 8 years. Flick locks work great yet. I buy the 140 cm (tall) ones, that way they double as decent cross country ski poles with the addition of the large screw-on baskets. Longer poles provide for more head room when I pitch the Siltarp using the hiking poles for tent poles too.

muddydogs

WKR
I hate trekking poles, I've tried them a couple times and I just can't stand having them in my hands and the poles banging on everything. Maybe its the years upon years I worked in the woods without them but they are just a pain to deal with. When I'm hunting I want my rifle in my hand or fast access and don't want to deal with poles.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
have trekking poles will travel :) they are always with me and on long days they save your knees and lower body from further punishment and aid in uphill as well...wish I would have started using them 3 decades ago:) many good options, and have had good experience with several brands but am partial to bd options...like anything they will fail eventually and especially if planted in between rocks and you leverage. I use them all year long...….and if you have any lower body issues/me my right knee they will aid in taking weight off and transferring to your upper body.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They are always with me and consider them my friend like aleve to help complete the mission:)

Last edited: