Weather backpacking tarp

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry if this has been talked to death but I’m not looking for a tarp for my main shelter. I have a tent and rain fly for that, what I’m looking for is a lightweight tarp that packs up small to throw in my pack just Incase a storm hits while I’m out in the middle of the day or to keep the sun off while I’m glassing. What are y’all using? Not trying to spend a lot either, thanks!

oldgoat

WKR
I have a Jimmy's Tarp and a Kifaru Sheep Tarp. Not really a lot of price difference and the Kifaru is much much better fabricated! I use them for short rain squalls to sleeping under for the night when I can't find a big enough spot to pitch my shelter!

OP
K

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I was looking at the sheep tarp as well as the Gunnison and Colorado from seek. How small does the sheep tarp pack up?

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah I was looking at the sheep tarp as well as the Gunnison and Colorado from seek. How small does the sheep tarp pack up?

Uhh, I just slip mine in the slot pockets on my Nomad, so trying to remember, guess about a quart Ziploc in size

I carry an Intregral Designs 8’ x 10’ Siltarp II with cut-up Carbon arrow stakes (discards) and very thin cord tied on it. With 7 stakes it weighs about 16.5 ounces in the the sack. Pitched with 145 cm Black Diamond hiking poles it makes an excellent shelter. It has withstood some high winds as well. Tougher than I expected and in its 8th year of use.