Cook stoves

Tradchef

WKR
I’m in the market for a newer cook stove. I’ve run a jetboil flash for the last 7 years. It smokes a pot of water but I’m looking for something I can simmer and boil as well. Was looking at snow peak ti, Optimus crux lite, msr pocket rocket. If I can get a titanium pot to try and shave a bit of weight it would be preferred. What are y’all using? I hunt solo so I don’t need anything crazy big.

Scott

Owenst7

WKR
I use a kovea supalite (OEM for snowpeak stoves) for solo stuff and a kovea spider for trips where I run a big pot and do a lot of actual cooking. The supalite simmers well, but the spider is great for cooking low to the ground with big lots or skillets. You can also invert the canister with the spider for running in cold weather, although the MSR fuel usually doesn't give me much issue down to about 20°F.

My Supalite IIRC is 1.9oz and my snow peak 600ml pot is about 6oz with lid. I burn a bit under 1oz of fuel a day to boil about 26 oz a day (two meals and a cup of coffee).

Napperm4

WKR
I’ve been using a Soto Micro regulator stove for the past 5 or 6 years. Smokes a pot of water and I can simmer it down to cook eggs etc.

Evernew TI pots and frying pan when it’s more than me solo.

Alone I use either a primus litech mug / frying pan or a sea to summit x kettle if I’m doing water only.

Can’t say enough good about the set up. Even the igniter still works after many years of constant use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my MSR Pocket Rocket 2. I used to use the original pocket rocket and I think the "2" is a great improvement and much more compact.

For my cook pot I use the Toaks 750ml ti pot.

I can fit a 4oz fuel can, the PR2 stove, a lighter, a piece of Alum Foil folded up to use as a wind screen if needed and a half a dish scrub pad to clean up, and I'll usually throw a couple instant coffee packs in too in case I want a hot drink I won't have to dig out my food bag, all inside the Toaks 750ml pot. I think the 750ml is a great size for one or two people and it fits a fuel can with room for stove. I don't understand people who don't prioritize packing the fuel and stove inside the cook pot.

I've been running a Soto Windmaster for the past 4 years with a cut down Jetboil Ti Pot and it's flat out performed perfectly. I've used other pots on it as well (Toaks, Evernew, MSR), and they all work fine, but the Jetboil cup boils fastest and most efficient for solo setups. For two or more, a larger, wider Toaks is used and has worked well and all fits into the pot along with fuel canister.

Clarktar

WKR
I've been running a Soto Windmaster for the past 4 years with a cut down Jetboil Ti Pot and it's flat out performed perfectly. I've used other pots on it as well (Toaks, Evernew, MSR), and they all work fine, but the Jetboil cup boils fastest and most efficient for solo setups. For two or more, a larger, wider Toaks is used and has worked well and all fits into the pot along with fuel canister.
I've been down ng the exact same thing. Works great!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Soto windmaster here too, love it. I use a titan cup and if I expect to cook a 4" 3 oz frying pan from Walmart.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Had any issues with the piezo igniter on the Windmaster? I am not a fan of the one on my jetboil. It works half the time so I normally just use a bic or ferro steel to get it going.

541hunter

WKR
Had any issues with the piezo igniter on the Windmaster? I am not a fan of the one on my jetboil. It works half the time so I normally just use a bic or ferro steel to get it going.

I have used one for 2 years now. Even had it fall out of the truck doing 55+ and it still works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I picked up the SOTO. Badass little stove. Thanks for the recommendation on that. Got a good deal on it at backcountry.com. Now a solid cook pot or two and we are good to go.