DIY Dehydrated Meal Recipes / And other food ideas

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I typically do these and just rotate: 1) chili 2) a mexi spiced meat/rice/veggie/salsa/cheese powder 3) meat/rice/veggie/pasta sauce/Parmesan cheese

I worked up a salmon chowder inspired by heather choice the other day that seemed good so I will add that into the rotation.

Whip

WKR
I need to get started on making my meals as well. I like to dehydrate leftover casseroles for some. Have some recipes for others I'll have to dig up.

For anything that needs noodles ie: spaghetti, etc just use a packet of ramen noodles and skip the flavor packet. They hydrate back up perfectly.

Rehydrating hamburger works best if it is cooked with bread crumbs.

For breakfast I'll do oatmeal sometimes, but really like a good granola with powdered milk. Nestle Nido is good. I pre mix portions in zip lock bags. Often will just have a granola bar with coffee when I first get up and take a bag of granola /powdered mix in my pack for mid morning.

Lunch is usually soft tortilla with a tuna packet or hard salami /cheese topped with a squeeze packet of mayonnaise. Snacks are another granola bar and /or trail mix.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes if dehydrating cooked ground meat solo break crumbs mixed in helps rehydration however I've found just mixing the cooked meat into whatever sauce I'm using with the meal and dehydrating it all together works fine also.

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
41779216795_36ed86a282_n.jpg
After dry I will add equal part of dry pasta or mashed potato. I usually do 2.5oz meat 2.5oz pasta. for 5oz total and add olive oil packet.
41779216765_3fb9aed50b_n.jpg

27810149707_2bf5e4fefd_n.jpg

Lots of great ideas here! Definitely gonna try these out and see what I wanna take this fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I decided to make dehydrated eggs. I think they turned out pretty good. I did a batch of 3 eggs and I figured out the nutritional facts. 3 eggs@78 cal =234 cal. Total weight of the dehydrated eggs is 37g or 1.3 Oz. Now I'm not sure if you can eat them dehydrated or not but i was planning on rehydration them and then cooking them. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear feedback!
6a609cfad544a12daf0da765fef7c39b.jpg
After they've been rehydrated
71409ea15ce4f9453594d5f6f90b795e.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things that has become part of my go to foods is quick jerky. I mix ground deer or beef with Comercial jerky spice packs. I use very little if any of the pink salt. I sometimes mix my own spices or add a few things to the commercial stuff.

Jam it in a jerky gun and dehydrate it. Since i went light on the preservatives I freeze I until I am ready to use it. Throw a bag in the pack and I have a meaty snack or crumbles to add to any dish for extra protein and flavor. I have even thrown a stick in hot water to make broth.

Squirrels

WKR
I'm going to do my own meals and I am looking for bags to put the dehydrated meals in and be able to pour in boiling water to sit and rehydrate. My research has found that you should not use mylar bags or basic Ziploc freezer style bags. I have read that you should use what is called a retort bag, this is what all the commercial dehydrated/freeze dried food companies are using. So, anybody know where a guy can pick some up and not have to buy 500 or 1,000 at a time?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going to do my own meals and I am looking for bags to put the dehydrated meals in and be able to pour in boiling water to sit and rehydrate. My research has found that you should not use mylar bags or basic Ziploc freezer style bags. I have read that you should use what is called a retort bag, this is what all the commercial dehydrated/freeze dried food companies are using. So, anybody know where a guy can pick some up and not have to buy 500 or 1,000 at a time?

What did you find against name brand freezer bags? Also I guess since we're asking what did you find against mylar? I've been using ziplock freezer for the last couple years.

Owenst7

WKR
What did you find against name brand freezer bags? Also I guess since we're asking what did you find against mylar? I've been using ziplock freezer for the last couple years.

There's nothing that's going to hurt you in polyethylene. That's why tons of food is packaged in it, and it's used in labs to store specimens. Hell, it's used all over for potable water plumbing. It's one of the most chemically inert materials known to man.

Squirrels

WKR
Mylar and freezer bags are fine at regular temps and freezing or even below. I think, and I say think because I've not seen the actual science of it, the issue is adding boiling or near boiling water to those materials. I honestly have no clue and not attempting to say it is harmful. I'm sure the exact formula of the plastic used has a lot to do with the safety of it. A product can be approved for food storage, but heating in that same FDA approved container is another story.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I reuse the mountain house bags. You can get a lot of use of of them. I just bring one and my meals stay in their vacuum bags until I'm ready to eat them.

If I go backpacking with a friend who eats MH, I'll grab his when we are done. Wash em out and your good to go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Great thread. I cannot stand the thought of ever eating another Mountain House. Ever. I use to look forward to them. I liken them to Poison Ivy where it builds up in your system over time and once you reach your limit, it gets worse and worse and you become more sensitive...

Chicken recipes; use the canned chicken from Costco rather than your normal breast meat.

I never worry about putting too much water in, all my stuff ends up like soup/stew in the field. Don’t think you can get too much water in the field.

Owenst7

WKR
Mylar and freezer bags are fine at regular temps and freezing or even below. I think, and I say think because I've not seen the actual science of it, the issue is adding boiling or near boiling water to those materials. I honestly have no clue and not attempting to say it is harmful. I'm sure the exact formula of the plastic used has a lot to do with the safety of it. A product can be approved for food storage, but heating in that same FDA approved container is another story.

The melting point of polyethylene is well above the boiling point of water.

Being a thermoplastic, PE can be melted and reused without degration many times. This is common practice in manufacturing. The nature of a thermoplastic (and PE being one of the highest quality ones) mean that it is not breaking down even when it is melted.

Further, it is an inert material to your body, so even if you were ingesting it, it wouldn't do you any harm. It frequently gets used for artificial hearts and replacement joints.

Last edited:

Squirrels

WKR
Breakfast idea. Got some ideas from other post and another member (Napperm4). Anyway, it's 4 ingredients, weighs 4.8oz including the zip loc. Get you roughly 620 calorie breakfast and I really like eating it, to the point it's good to keep some made up in baggies so you can grab it in a hurry heading out the door for any activity.

2 oz of the Quaker Simply Granola
1 oz of the Nature Valley Almond Butter Granola
1/2 oz of unsweetened cocunut flakes
1/4 cup of Nido

Put in a quart ziploc, add 6-8 oz of water (whatever you prefer) and shake it up and eat. Eat it out of the bag or pour in a bowl. You could add some other things for additional flavor and even add different things to each day to spice it up. Raisans, Craisans, drid bluberries, dried straberries, choclate chips, ....you get the idea.

81a99e697a4954586ed20b3b08bd27b2.jpg

Bulldawg

WKR
I did this a couple days ago, then I tried eating them, and I couldn’t haha. They were so bad I’m hoping to figure out how to make them better because I love to eat eggs, and I would eat half a dozen a morning in the backcountry

I decided to make dehydrated eggs. I think they turned out pretty good. I did a batch of 3 eggs and I figured out the nutritional facts. 3 eggs@78 cal =234 cal. Total weight of the dehydrated eggs is 37g or 1.3 Oz. Now I'm not sure if you can eat them dehydrated or not but i was planning on rehydration them and then cooking them. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear feedback!
6a609cfad544a12daf0da765fef7c39b.jpg
After they've been rehydrated
71409ea15ce4f9453594d5f6f90b795e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk