DIY Dehydrated Meal Recipes / And other food ideas

Owenst7

WKR
I decided to make dehydrated eggs. I think they turned out pretty good. I did a batch of 3 eggs and I figured out the nutritional facts. 3 eggs@78 cal =234 cal. Total weight of the dehydrated eggs is 37g or 1.3 Oz. Now I'm not sure if you can eat them dehydrated or not but i was planning on rehydration them and then cooking them. If anyone has done this before I'd love to hear feedback!
6a609cfad544a12daf0da765fef7c39b.jpg
After they've been rehydrated
71409ea15ce4f9453594d5f6f90b795e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did you dehydrate them raw or cooked?

Every time I've tried dehydrating them cooked, the sugars in them caramelize and make them brown and crunchy. Perhaps I need to try a lower temperature?

Huh I didn't have that issue. I just put raw eggs and seasoning in the blender then blend it till there's a little foam on top and put it on dehydrator sheet. It's a little tricky putting the tray in the dehydrator because it's so runny. It usually takes about 8-12 hours at 135. I'll flip some of the bigger pieces over near the end because they can be sticky on the bottom. Then I freeze it and put it in the blender again to make a powder so it mixes better. When you are ready to use them you basically mix them with water then cook them. You wanna make sure you make them pretty runny or they'll end up kinda rubbery. Here's the website I used Eggs in the Backcountry - Dirty Gourmet This worked good for me but I needed a lot more water per egg than they recommended.
Did you dehydrate them raw or cooked?

Every time I've tried dehydrating them cooked, the sugars in them caramelize and make them brown and crunchy. Perhaps I need to try a lower temperature?
d347d578b17c203449ba44f4af930831.jpg
4c2bb7c02d60b45b9f7d8a082e180df8.jpg

Bulldawg

WKR
So you add water and then cooked them like scrambled eggs? I tried this but they came out real rubbery and tasted awful haha. I’m gonna keep trying if some people think they’re edible

Huh I didn't have that issue. I just put raw eggs and seasoning in the blender then blend it till there's a little foam on top and put it on dehydrator sheet. It's a little tricky putting the tray in the dehydrator because it's so runny. It usually takes about 8-12 hours at 135. I'll flip some of the bigger pieces over near the end because they can be sticky on the bottom. Then I freeze it and put it in the blender again to make a powder so it mixes better. When you are ready to use them you basically mix them with water then cook them. You wanna make sure you make them pretty runny or they'll end up kinda rubbery. Here's the website I used Eggs in the Backcountry - Dirty Gourmet This worked good for me but I needed a lot more water per egg than they recommended.
d347d578b17c203449ba44f4af930831.jpg
4c2bb7c02d60b45b9f7d8a082e180df8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you add water and then cooked them like scrambled eggs? I tried this but they came out real rubbery and tasted awful haha. I’m gonna keep trying if some people think they’re edible

Yup thats how I did it. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between the dehydrated and normal eggs(my brother tried it too and couldn't tell the difference). I did let them sit about 5 min and made sure the powder dissolved completely. The first time they were a little rubbery for me then I added more water and it was fine. It was about the consistency of olive oil if that helps.

PNWGATOR

WKR
An easy cheat on the eggs is to buy Ovaeasy brand and don’t look back. Save the dehydration projects for suppers.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
An easy cheat on the eggs is to buy Ovaeasy brand and don’t look back. Save the dehydration projects for suppers.

Amen. I take bacon crumbles and dehydrated onions and pepper and have a ziplock farmers scramble every morning now. Oatmeal packets be damned!

Attempting my first dehydrated meals. Making Venison meat sauce with shells as well as Venison chili. My question is how long does it typically take to dehydrate these meals?

blackdawg

WKR
I dehydrated bananas and apples. They both came out with overpowering flavor, any idea what I did wrong? Appearance and texture seemed perfect.

Bulldawg

WKR
You probably didn’t do anything wrong, you just concentrated all that flavor by taking out all the water.

I dehydrated bananas and apples. They both came out with overpowering flavor, any idea what I did wrong? Appearance and texture seemed perfect.

Squirrels

WKR
Decided to break out the spagheti I dehydrated last week and give it a test. Rehydrated great and tasted just like it did when I cooked it before dehydrating. Going to test all the other meals over the weekend. If they turnout the same I don't see me buying any meals ever again.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the posts so far guys. I've been playing around with your recipes, and they've all worked great so far. I'm going to be eating good this October. Haha.

Sturgeon

WKR
Since we are mostly hunting out of a basecamp from the truck I've been making lots of soup, chili, and stew for dinners. I have been freezing them all and we will have one defrosted on the day we will use it. That way we can get back to truck after hunting and simply warm up the meal on stove and not have too cook it.
One meal I made is a tailgate stew it has canned tomatoes as the base, homemade venison brats, onions, and sauerkraut. It tastes really good, but might need to crack a window on the tent that night!

Also if anyone is looking to make their own jerky seasoning, I've worked this one up with great results. All my jerky is whole muscle.
2 tbl of celery salt
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl chili powder pepper
1 tbl cayenne powder
1 tbl of garlic powder
1 tbl of paprika powder
1 tbl of mesquite powder

You will be able to get quite a few batches out of this recipe. Everything can be found at any grocery store, except the mesquite which I order from Amazon.

Bulldawg

WKR
One of the best recipes I’ve had when hunting out of a base camp is a pot roast. I use a can cooker and pack all the ingredients ready to go in a 2 gallon ziplock bag. Meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, beefy onion soup mix, garlic, and some other seasoning. When you get back to camp throw in all in there, one beer, and some water and through it on the stove. Cooks for 45 minutes while I put gear away, change, get the wood stove going and relax. Eat it up and there’s only one pot needs cleaning. It’s easily the best camp meal I’ve had to date.

Squirrels

WKR
Decided to break out the spagheti I dehydrated last week and give it a test. Rehydrated great and tasted just like it did when I cooked it before dehydrating. Going to test all the other meals over the weekend. If they turnout the same I don't see me buying any meals ever again.

I tested one of the Knorr pasta sides (used the entire package) with some of the canned chicken I dehydrated (used half of a 12.5oz can). Worked great, north of 600 calories if memory serves me. Also tried a meal with two packs of the kraft macaroni single serves and 2.2 oz of ground beef I dehydrated (that’s about 1/3 lb of raw meat). Worked well too, and lots of calories. I was pleasantly surprised how well both meats rehydrated. Key to the ground beef is mix in a 1/2 cup of fine bread crumbs per lb of meat prior to cooking. I bought a book “Recipes for Adventure”. Good source for all things dehydrating and maybe more in important, best methods for rehydration.

OP
PowellSixO

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Got a new one that's easy, cheap, dehydrates fast, and most importantly tastes great!!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 cup salsa (you pick the brand and the heat, I like the hot pace picante)
1.5 lbs cooked shredded chicken (I like to cook the chicken and then put it in my wife's food mixer to shred it / also remove any fat from the chicken and cook with as little oil as possible in skillet to)
15 oz. can black beans (drained)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 white onion diced
2-3 green onions diced
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper
Optional: I like to put a few dashes of Tabasco sauce in mine.

INSTRUCTIONS
In a large skillet, combine the rice, onion, salsa, chicken, black beans (drained), chili powder, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
Place a tight fitting lid on the skillet, turn the heat on to high, and let the skillet come to a full boil. As soon as the skillet comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.

After 15-20 minutes, turn off the heat, and let it rest with the lid in place for 5 more minutes. Finally, remove the lid, and fluff the mixture with a fork. All of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice should be tender. You may have to add tiny bits of water to the mixture to keep it cooking, if the rice isn't quite soft enough at the end of the 15-20 minutes. You want to get the rice as soft as possible, so it makes it softer once re-hydrated.

Once it's cooked, put the mixture in your dehydrator over night. Make sure not to put it on too thick in any one spot, to help with even dehydrating. It only took me 8.5 hours to dry a dehydrator full of this meal.

I'm still working on the right amount of water to add to a said portion, but it seems to be 1 part water to 1 part dehydrated food. Let the hot water and meal set for 10-15 minutes. Stir, and enjoy. It's very tasty, and dehydrates very well. It's very light in your pack, and costs almost nothing to make. I'll post some pictures later.