Opinions on this saw?

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
It weighs 5oz & it takes sawzall blades. Think it would work for a skull cap and/or light firewood use?
b0b219aecde66e44d0beb563395825cb.png

This one weighs 3oz and takes hacksaw blades. Think it would be better?
65098921f3ab9657e6aa27a28c6c3d2b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't plan on them lasting long. The blades bind and bend. Once they bend it's a royal hassle

530Chukar

WKR
I agree with the above post. You’ll have bending issues. The second saw you posted would be way to small. From most of the threads on here people seem to like the Sven saw and Wyoming saw the best. Both are pretty solid. Ive found the smaller hacksaw style blade not to work well. I only pack the bone blade for cutting wood now.

• Banned
OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Those are all a pound or close to it. The two I listed are 5oz or less. I figured they wouldn’t be that durable, but I wouldn’t be using them much. Any more than ~5oz and I’ll leave the saw in the truck and carry it back in after the first load out.

Owenst7

WKR
I use a kobalt version of the Lennox in the kitchen for cutting femurs for osso buco. The blades are fine. The attachment in the center keeps you from getting a proper stroke. I'd probably just bring a cheap hacksaw frame. I doubt the cheap ones weigh more than a couple ounces. A 10-14 blade would probably be a good compromise between bone and wood.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are all a pound or close to it. The two I listed are 5oz or less. I figured they wouldn’t be that durable, but I wouldn’t be using them much. Any more than ~5oz and I’ll leave the saw in the truck and carry it back in after the first load out.

I carry a gerber vital saw (4oz). It won’t do much on an elk but for clearing brush around it and minor camp chores it’s good. At the truck is a cheap aluminum frame hacksaw with a Wyoming saw bone blade that I will bring after the first load.

I am have tried many hand saws. The best I used for the $$ was the Bahco. Yet I have found a good pair of gloves, boots, and a rock go a long way in processing wood for fires. As such I don't carry a hand saw anymore.

If you really want to try a handle for a reciprocating saw blade I would recommend using a pruning blade. Might not be worth all the trouble and you will need to keep it covered. I would just buy a folding saw. But if you are really trying to watch the weight a pruning blade will do what your looking for. I have used them. Very tough and very sharp. Will cut through bone, branches, small logs, and fingers quickly.

milwaukee-reciprocating-saw-blades-48-00-1301-64_1000.jpg

Trying to use a hacksaw blade I think would be a waste of time.

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
That Bahco Laplander is only 6 oz. Pretty cheap too. If I decide to carry a saw I will probably pick one of those up. If I decide to leave it in the truck it will just be a hacksaw probably.

The pruning blade is a good idea.

Picked up one of the Bahco saws a little while ago. Seems decently enough made but my first impression was the teeth werent nearly as sharp as all the other folding saws ive ever had. Probably do fine when i try it out- riding under the seat of my truck isnt much of a test im afraid to say.