Stoves; what’s best for backpacking

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
I currently run a pocket rocket and has never let me down, but what is best for up to 12k. I’ve read on a couple that not recommended for over 10k. Looking to upgrade my system for a light weight dependable do all stove. Would mainly use it just to boil for rehydration and coffee. But would like to be able to cook and simmer as well if it doesn’t require a weight penalty with everything I would need, pan, different food ect. My plan for this year is to begin to dehydrate my own meals and be less dependent on mountain house and actually enjoy the food a consume in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rsully661

Lil-Rokslider
This is about the most versatile stove you will find:

Burns just about any kind of fuel, including white gas or butane canisters. Field maintainable, robust. Will last a lifetime.

Primus OmniLite Ti with 350 ml fuel bottle (free ground shipping) :: Multi-fuel stoves :: Cooking :: Moontrail

That’s the one I’ve been eyeing but wasn’t sure if truly was better that some of the jet boils. All the different nozzles and cleaning issues have me worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
Canister stoves all burn the same at elevation. You may see some difference by using different fuel. They all function on the same stoichiometry. The only thing you'll see with specific stoves is some have a bigger valve (btu rating) which will allow them to discharge faster. This can cause the canister to rapidly cool to the point that butane and/or propane won't vaporize. Running the burner on a lower setting, warming the canister with water, or inverting the canister can be effective methods of dealing with that.

ethan

WKR
I’ve got a lot of buddies that run jet boils. I’ve never owned one but they just seem like they’ve got to many parts and things to go wrong. I’ve been using my pocket rocket for years and it’s never let me down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve got a lot of buddies that run jet boils. I’ve never owned one but they just seem like they’ve got to many parts and things to go wrong. I’ve been using my pocket rocket for years and it’s never let me down.
There are no more parts to a JetBoil that could let you down than with a Pocket Rocket. The burners aren't that different, everyone carries a lighter in case a piezo goes out, the main difference is the pot connection to the burner assembly. You don't have to use a JB pot with the burner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
My opinion is pretty much anything from Primus and MSR is better than a Jet Boil. I have a friend who loves his JetBoil but has had to have it replaced 4 times in the last 5 years. Latest one he has just looks put together a little cheap. Lots of failure stories here if you search threads, and they're also not known as a "hunting friendly" company.

I personally have the Primus ETA spider with a dual fuel kit. Only thing that's ever gone wrong is a jet getting clogged which is a quick fix.

Beendare

WKR
My opinion is pretty much anything from Primus and MSR is better than a Jet Boil. .....

^agreed. I know a couple of buddies that broke a plastic part on their Jetboils and ended up having to buy a whole new stove. IMO, the only downside to the Pocket Rocket type stoves is no windscreen....which is easily solved.

I've used my little butane stove camped at 11,600 along the continental divide with zero issues....as long as you can keep the canister from freezing. This is easily solved by tossing it in the bottom of your bag.

BTW, I can't imagine trying to sleep above 12,000'......

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems this thread is leaning heavily toward stove durability & reliability.

In that case, I don't really like a jetboil or one of the other integral windscreen systems. Give me a ti pot with lid, handles, and bail. Can use a pocket rocket, esbit, alcohol, or wood fire to cook with.

A Gram Cracker esbit stove will weigh what, 3 grams, and esbit tabs .5 oz per, take 6 and you're at 3 oz for the kit. That's 6 almost guaranteed hot meals whether your canister craps out or not. You just need a homemade pot stand (wire mesh) and windscreen made from aluminum foil.

I'm seriously thinking about taking a bushbuddy with esbit backup this year to cook with. Lighter overall system because I'm using found fuel, but it'll be slower and require more work. But I enjoy starting and cooking with fire.