Backpack hunts: what did you wish you brought, what should you have left

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
As above, did a thread last year but can’t find. Thought I’d start a new one. I packed WAY too much food and didn’t bring a substantial rain coat. For my finances I thought I did pretty well with gear tho. I stepped it up this year and want to see what you guys learned as well.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I usually pack a little too much food, but not a lot extra. I figure I'd rather have a little trail mix and an energy bar left over in case I need to stay another day or half day. Most of the time it's oatmeal that doesn't get eaten. It's not heavy so no biggie.

Last year was unusually cold for early season, coldest in 8 years. So I added a puffy vest. And bear spray.

bsnedeker

WKR
Last year was my first true backpack elk hunt (had done day hunts from basecamp prior to that) and I learned a TON!

1. No matter how nutritious your breakfast is, if it doesn't taste good it's just extra weight! I had planned out these SUPER oatmeals to start my day off right: 2 packs quaker instant, handful of nuts, handfull of dried fruit, and a FULL scoop of protein powder!!! It didn't taste that bad to me when I tried them at home...but trying to cram that stuff down my gullet 3 days in a row and I was done with breakfast!

2. Not enough layers! It was 90 degrees when I left the truck, why should I carry an extra hoody and jacket? Yeah, the night I spent stuck under a tree would beg to differ!

3. No rain gear! It's CO during archery, you don't need raingear! Do NOT listen to this advice!!! Rained every single day...not much, but enough to make it miserable!

Other than that things were ok...I've upgraded most of my gear for my trip to Montana this year, but more for weight than anything else.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah did CO last year too. Had rain, sleet, lightning, wind and snow on most days. Cheap sylo rain pants were fine but the ultra thin jacket I had wetted out quickly in the heavy rain. Forgot to mention my gloves. Used some all weather hloves, forget the name, and they soaked through on first day. Wool gloves, never leave without them again

FlyGuy

WKR
Subscribed. Great thread here. I hope to pick up a few pieces of knowledge. I've done a few spike camps but this year will be my first true backpack hunt. Flying in so I'll be fairly light on gear anyway, just some back-up supplies stashed at the (rental) truck. I've been going over my pack list and weights and I'm just about there. Found that I could knock out a solid three lbs by upgrading my knife and bag. Just ordered a Tyto to replace my 30 year old Buck knife and I'm Going to give the quilt a go this year over my 20F Slick Bag.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1. No matter how nutritious your breakfast is, if it doesn't taste good it's just extra weight! I had planned out these SUPER oatmeals to start my day off right: 2 packs quaker instant, handful of nuts, handfull of dried fruit, and a FULL scoop of protein powder!!! It didn't taste that bad to me when I tried them at home...but trying to cram that stuff down my gullet 3 days in a row and I was done with breakfast!

I struggle with breakfast also, I'm tired/sore/not hungry. I figure when training I can wake up and run for an hour on an empty stomach for instance so eating immediately isn't a requirement for my body but I do need to make sure don't ignore eating throughout the day (starting early) if I do that. This year I just put 150cal of powdered coconut oil in my coffee so I had something in my stomach to start the day. Once glassing I could start snacking away, keeping in mind I knew I only had a 1/2mi hike to where I would be glassing. If I was hiking for a couple hours I'd need to have eaten prior to keep energy up.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I struggle with breakfast also, I'm tired/sore/not hungry. I figure when training I can wake up and run for an hour on an empty stomach for instance so eating immediately isn't a requirement for my body but I do need to make sure don't ignore eating throughout the day (starting early) if I do that. This year I just put 150cal of powdered coconut oil in my coffee so I had something in my stomach to start the day. Once glassing I could start snacking away, keeping in mind I knew I only had a 1/2mi hike to where I would be glassing. If I was hiking for a couple hours I'd need to have eaten prior to keep energy up.

A breakfast I can eat every day is granola cereal (many choices here, fav brand is Bear Naked) and powered milk. Simple and quick.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thin sliced bagels with salami, pre cooked bacon, cheese-and worked really slick last year. Did not spoil the six days we had em. I vac sealed these too to save on space. Got turned on to almond butter single serves and (cant remember the brand) energy bloks that were like big gummy bears. Ate pretty well but brought too much trail mix.

boom

WKR
know your water supply. no sense hiking in with a 3L bladder if there is lots of water around. refilling is lighter.

and take that weight savings and bring lightweight slip on shoes. especially if you are gonna do some fishing.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When you've been at it a while it really comes down to take / not take items, it's all good gear, just different stuff for different trips.

This fall I have a shortish bear hunt and a longish mule deer hunt. Take / not take is probably going to break down to a helinox chair zero glassing chair at 18 oz, and my "good knife" at 10 oz vs a replaceable blade 3 oz knife.

Water sources play a part. Good clear water and I'll take tabs only. Drinking elk wallow water and I want a good filter. If unsure about water sources, i'll take the filter.

I don't eat breakfast when on a backpack hunt. I drink coffee, and then eat dates, almonds, pecans, craisins, epic bars, lara bars, etc. Snack all day and then eat freeze dried for dinner. GU gels for big climbs.

One thing I did take last year was a bag of Oberto bacon jerky. I thought it would be a different flavor of jerky, no big deal. WRONG. When I opened that bag on day 3 or 4 I had intentions of saving some for my buddies....nope, I ate the whole thing right then, then turned the bag inside out and licked out the crumbs. Best thing I've ever eaten.

I'm making my own bacon jerky this year so I can control the salt and preservatives. I'll take a LOT. I get hungry for fat and not much else when I'm out a while.

oldgoat

WKR
Wood stove for my solo shelter! Last weekend of the season I had a prolonged rain, sleet, snow and fog event, everything was wet from either being out in the elements or in the condensation in the shelter! I ordered one as soon as I got home! Can't think of much I would of left behind, getting better about that!

I wish I would've brought more trioxane.
Rain Rain, snow ,snow and more rain. Even with wood in tipi, it was so wet.

FlyGuy

WKR
I wish I would've brought more trioxane.
Rain Rain, snow ,snow and more rain. Even with wood in tipi, it was so wet.
No kidding. 11 day hunt for elk last year in WY, had rain or snow on 9 if them. After last September, I started carrying a small amount of lighter fluid with me. Trying to get a fire going inside of a smith cylinder stove with wet wood and tinder was - even with trioxane tablets - an exercise in frustration! A partial bottle of a Zippo lighter refill solved that issue (~ 3oz) a small squirt 1st thing in the morning and then just drop the match in and go back to sleep. 10 minutes later the heat drives you out of your bag. Awesome.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I did take last year was a bag of Oberto bacon jerky. I thought it would be a different flavor of jerky, no big deal. WRONG. When I opened that bag on day 3 or 4 I had intentions of saving some for my buddies....nope, I ate the whole thing right then, then turned the bag inside out and licked out the crumbs. Best thing I've ever eaten.

Jerky.............. I'm listening. BACON.............. Yes please. BACON JERKY.................. Why have I not heard of this before?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Fire starting - Silky Saw and a good stout 4" knife (mora works) for batoning will get you to some dry wood. Instafire really needs a lighter to get it started, but it burns long and much hotter than trioxane IME. May want to mix in a pack or two for those wet wood days.

Post on our site I wrote that may be worth a read:
https://seekoutside.com/blog/fire-starting-wood-prep/

Agree 100%
I had to splinter wood to Get a fire going

I started more fires than I expected
Ended up back at camp mid day A couple times due to rain, snow.

Ran out of trioxane
Plus chimney screen got plugged and I didn't realize it
Fire went out, smoke came in
Used More trioxane
Lol

Wet weather is unique, but totally doable with a little extra work

Fire starting - Silky Saw and a good stout 4" knife (mora works) for batoning will get you to some dry wood. Instafire really needs a lighter to get it started, but it burns long and much hotter than trioxane IME. May want to mix in a pack or two for those wet wood days.

Post on our site I wrote that may be worth a read:
https://seekoutside.com/blog/fire-starting-wood-prep/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
One thing i have been considering adding is an ultra lightweight tarp to my kit.

just feel it would be nice to have, could set up at camp or take with me during the day.

Not sure if its the kifaru sheep tarp or a bigger cuben fiber type tarp but a mere 8-10oz wouldn't be noticeable and is on the top of my to buy list this summer

bsnedeker

WKR
One thing i have been considering adding is an ultra lightweight tarp to my kit.

just feel it would be nice to have, could set up at camp or take with me during the day.

Not sure if its the kifaru sheep tarp or a bigger cuben fiber type tarp but a mere 8-10oz wouldn't be noticeable and is on the top of my to buy list this summer

+1 on this one....I always take a couple of contractor bags that I can cut and fly out into a tarp and so far I have done this on every hunt I've been on with one of my bags. I'm looking at building a dyneema tarp...should weigh under 7 ounces for what I'm looking for.

Mac7

WKR
+1 on this one....I always take a couple of contractor bags that I can cut and fly out into a tarp and so far I have done this on every hunt I've been on with one of my bags. I'm looking at building a dyneema tarp...should weigh under 7 ounces for what I'm looking for.

+2 I need to pick up another tarp. I have one I bought years ago that is noisy think its cuben fiber material but not sure. Have had a para and mega I wish I hadn't sold both. Even for day hunts it's nice to build a fire and have some shelter waiting out storms or just sitting and glassing.