Where’s the love for KUIU?

I'm not into the trend of completely selling one brand to buy into another whole hog. I love my Kuiu rain gear and superdown jacket and vest! I think their merino is over priced, and I don't care for their zip off thermals. The concept is good, but I don't think it is well executed.
The critters don't care if you mix and match patterns or brands.

Find what meets your needs and wear it with confidence.

JP100

WKR
I have used a fair portion of their clothing and gear and I think most of their clothing has credit, price wise they seem spendy but so is Sitka and a few other top end brands(Arcteryx for example).
The bulk of my clients use a fair portion of Kuiu, and Jason has done a very good job at promoting it.

I dont think its the be all end all of gear, but nothing is.

The more hunting I do the more I am moving away from hunting brands gear and clothing wise haha, I think there is some great options out there who make gear based on products performance not a 'cool' camo pattern. And its generally alot cheaper!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would agree that the "90lb cheerleader" is an exaggeration. However, I notice that you love the EB Guide Pants. There is no exaggeration that those pants fit like skinny jeans look like they fit. The crotch is 3" higher than every other pair of pants I've ever tried on, and my skinny thighs could barely fit into 38's, and I normally wear a 34-36. Those are NOT exaggerations.

As for the KUIU fit, there is no doubt that they run small.......not just athletic, but SMALL. I'm 6'6" 220 and very athletic fit. Everything is an upsize in KUIU.

No its still an exaggeration. Skinny jeans specifically refer to a cut of pants which if you lay the guide pants flat you can plainly see they aren't cut that way. They are simply a straight cut (with articulated knees) which may folks feel straight cut feels "skinny" in comparison to loose/relaxed/etc. but they simply aren't. My legs aren't twigs nor tree trunks, the pockets are functional, there is slack in the material, sorry they aren't "skinny jeans" which folks can't even fit a cell into their pocket easily with. I understand the thighs will be tight on folks with larger legs, in the fall when I bulk my legs up I can feel the reduced slack in them but they still are not skinny jeans.

I'm sure pieces vary but my experience after upsizing initially based on folks comments which was a bad idea for me was that their large stuff fit as I would expect large things to fit (keep in mind a large shirt in one brand might fit nicely and in another it might be huge, manufacturers these days seem to make clothes larger...). But its not like a have a full kit either. I just see folks talking universally about things being small and I haven't found that to be the case at all for my body. I've read some comments that were very clear about certain models specifically being sized small/large (apline pants and 210merino pants come to mind).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't care for their zip off thermals. The concept is good, but I don't think it is well executed.

Genuine curiosity: what don't you like about it? They work pretty well in my book, easy enough on/off (on is a little slower but off is really fast) and the zipper doesn't bother me which was an initial concern.

Zip off bottoms and hip vents I think more brands need to get on board with.

Pramo

WKR
I use some Kuiu specifically the attack pants, 145 Merino quarter zip, Merino neck gaiter and super down pants. I'm 6'2'' 180 and wear 34 pants and large tops the fit is the best comapred to Sitka or Firstlite but the lack of windstopper made me not use any of the outwear, for that I like Sitka

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered and received the KUIU gaiters, both the Scree and Yukon and they look pretty legit. Haven’t had a chance to run em obviously, but they fit great and have some well thought out aspects to em...

I’m not a KUIU fanboy, but I do find I keep ordering their stuff. It’s high quality, reasonably affordable, and works well together. Stuff like the hip vents on the rain pants aligning directly over the vents on the attack pants, so you can easily reach in and zip/unzip them. Same with the bino harness riding well under the backpack.

At 6’ and 160 lbs the fit is great for me. Some other brands I look like a kid wearing their dad’s suit, and there aren’t a lot of guys with 44” waists that are into backpack hunting.

Regarding durability, I don’t think a lot of people realize that ultralight gear has to be treated differently. It doesn’t mean it’s poorly made or won’t last, but you shouldn’t go busting through an alder patch in an 8 oz puffy jacket without expecting it to tear. They are pretty clear about this in their videos but most people may not watch them.

I fully understand not wanting to support someone because of their stances or personality, it’s why I won’t buy Budweiser products. I don’t find Jason to be any more of a dick than most other guys in the industry though.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m not a KUIU fanboy, but I do find I keep ordering their stuff. It’s high quality, reasonably affordable, and works well together. Stuff like the hip vents on the rain pants aligning directly over the vents on the attack pants, so you can easily reach in and zip/unzip them. Same with the bino harness riding well under the backpack.

At 6’ and 160 lbs the fit is great for me. Some other brands I look like a kid wearing their dad’s suit, and there aren’t a lot of guys with 44” waists that are into backpack hunting.

Regarding durability, I don’t think a lot of people realize that ultralight gear has to be treated differently. It doesn’t mean it’s poorly made or won’t last, but you shouldn’t go busting through an alder patch in an 8 oz puffy jacket without expecting it to tear. They are pretty clear about this in their videos but most people may not watch them.

I fully understand not wanting to support someone because of their stances or personality, it’s why I won’t buy Budweiser products. I don’t find Jason to be any more of a dick than most other guys in the industry though.

Totally agree here - I’ve got stuff from all of the brands but find myself always going back to Kuiu because it fits like it was made for me, is functional, and I’ve never had an issue with the company backing their stuff. I also agree that I’m not totally I love with everything the company does. I’ve got examples of stuff that doesn’t work or fit from every brand.

Why no love for Kuiu? As quick as it was cool to like them it was cool to hate them. Some of that was the growth, some management, some of it was their over the top marketing (aspirational branding is what I’ve heard Jason say) and some failures along the way. Google will give lots of true examples and lots of garbage hatred. I totally get all of that, I’ve used their stuff since 2012 off and on and have been deeply bothered by some stuff they’ve done. I used to really care about that stuff. But I’m to the point I wear everything and keep the stuff that works best for me individually, and based on this thread, it’s obvious other people are kind of in that same boat.

At the end of the day they are still trying to push the envelope and I think they are still trying to build top notch gear in their own perspective. Some works really well, some doesn’t. That’s cool, and I hope they keep pushing the envelope.

This is the longest thread I’ve seen on Kuiu not get locked in years, I haven’t posted because I figured it would be futile to throw out my on the fence perspective of the company’s stuff. I just want to say I think that’s a positive sign for the forum, and I appreciate people not tanking this one!

I have quite a bit of their apparel and most of it I really like, some I absolutely love, and a few items that I really didn't care for so I sold. I've never tried anything other than their apparel so I can't speak to that, but I've heard/read enough about their failures with tents, packs, etc., that I've decided not to try those products.

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
Like most people on this thread I have a lot of stuff from all three. Sitka I have the least amount of clothing and that's mainly because I feel they way over charge and for the price underpreform. Their core lightweight shirts remind me exactly of Nike undershirts I used to wear for football and baseball. I get the same stench in them also. I would argue with anyone about the quality with kuiu (clothing).

I've never felt the need to love or hate a specific company. I think it's very easy to find fault with something a company does, says or makes....and then comes the bashing. No company is exempt from it, and there is no company which is endlessly without faults. We're not exactly a very forgiving society either. I've had issues with the products of many outdoor gear makers, but I don't write them off or beat them senseless.

I own more KUIU clothing than anything. A lot of it has to do with price as I think Sitka is great but generally not superior enough to warrant the high retail cost. When Sitka hit the market it was much like YETI coolers. People screamed about the prices, but it sold. It performed well. It essentially opened the door for other high quality lines to emerge...similar to the cooler market. Pick your favorites and buy them. Many people here have bought copycat coolers while refusing to pay YETI prices. It works for clothing and all gear in reality.

I personally like KUIU sizing and fit. I'm no little boy but I'm not bulked out and needing to accommodate much fat under my clothes. I've done enough really hard and demanding hunts to know that KUIU clothing is more than up to the task. So are many other lines of course. I've been impressed with the quality of KUIU and the price advantage is undeniable. I'll never worship at the altar of any brand, but will continue to use what works best within the prices I'm willing to pay.

Truecoastie

Lil-Rokslider
I think every company has their specialties. Id say kuius merino line isn't one of them. Left a funky smell after days of use in the September heat. Loved the Yukon rain gear. That stuff is the shit for the dark days in the pnw. Also liked the Teton pants more than the great attacks. The attacks were just way to hot and the dwr lasted about 10 minutes after a misty day working through some reprod.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like many have said I also use several brands. Some of my kuiu I love, some is ok. I moved on from some not because it wasn’t a good or great product but I didn’t have a use for it. When shopping for a particular piece research may point me towards another brand. How often or what scenarios a product would be used also determines if I really need to buy any top shelf brand.

I think a lot of the product bashing comes from misinterpretation of what it was designed for and expecting zero compromise.

I would have to see Kuiu be more transparent about what they do for conservation and public lands before falling in love. The opposite can be said about other brands as I’m not finding any products that wow me. It doesn’t have to be a “zero or hero” decision.

Genuine curiosity: what don't you like about it? They work pretty well in my book, easy enough on/off (on is a little slower but off is really fast) and the zipper doesn't bother me which was an initial concern.

Zip off bottoms and hip vents I think more brands need to get on board with.

The fit on their zip offs is just weird, I can get past the capri length I suppose, but for me they just don't stay where they should, and I look like a wannabe gangsta sagging them halfway down my crack.

edited to add, the hip vents are the best!

bhylton

WKR
just to throw in my 2 cents. im really liking some of the first lite stuff ive got now, but if i was to recommend 2 pieces of KUIU stuff to anyone, it would be the attack pant and hooded kenai jacket. ive had those two for several years and they have been excellent. hunted eastern mt last year with those two items and was very happy. i would absolutely recommend a heavy duty rain coat also. whatever brand. when the wind picks up out there.... not much can stop it. congrats on the hunt

lkwoolsey

WKR
I use a bunch of stuff interchangeably, just depending on what was cheap/ what I needed at the time. I have Kuiu Yukon raingear and it works great. A couple of Kuiu synthetic tops that work great too. I think to use a single company's line is somewhat foolhardy and any hunter should shop around for the product that fits their need/ budget. Also, I think a couple of others have echoed this as well, a lot of the gear from any given company is all hype and and oftentimes a cheaper, more durable, and more suitable alternative can be found. Just my thoughts and opinions though.

Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Kifaru, they all make amazing gear, period. Find what works best for you and don’t care about what trends in the forums.