Where’s the love for KUIU?

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
This year I drew a once in a lifetime rifle elk tag as a non-resident in my first year putting in (I did take a point last year). Since the draw, I have watched every pack dump, gear review and spoken to numerous experienced backpack hunters and one thing has stands out to me. Very few of them have mentioned KUIU as their go-to clothing and gear brand of choice for backpack hunting. Most have mentioned Sitka, Archteryx, First Lite, etc. Why is that? I own mostly Sitka Gear clothing in their Whitetail line so I’m looking to get a bunch of clothing more suited for backpack/spike camp Western hunting...

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
Reposted this thread in “Clothing” where it should’ve been in the first place...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Kuiu since they first came out and continue to wear many of their items as my first choice. Specifically the gaiters they rock for waterproof and staying up and buckled. The guide pants are a great late season pant weight to warmth ratio very good. Attacks very comfortable and love the leg zips to dump heat. The glove line specifically the north stars do well in wet weather and keep me dry. Have worn out several of the light weight beanies and always have backups. I had the superdown which was a little to light and not quite warm enough and upgraded to the new heavier down jacket last fall and it is plenty warm for the weight. The clothing line is well done.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as this thread stays on track with people posting about personal use, good or bad, it will stay open. If it turns into my stuff is better than yours or just bashing it will be closed.

I like their gators, guide pants, alpine pants, guide vest and chinook synthetic jacket. Their attacks are okay but Eddie Bauer guide pants at 50% off blow them out of the water for value. I am one of those that has a mix of First Lite, Kuiu and Sitka and wear it interchangeably. First Lite merino is my preferred for base layers. ExOfficio boxers are the best underwear made.

Here is a picture of a First Lite/Kuiu marriage.

2f669c2d5f77f879bbbb07b94fdb98af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
The reason I got rid of my Kuiu is because I wanted to try something different, the reason I didn’t go back is because i found what I like better. The wool from first lite is hands down way better that Kuiu. But I have found that I really really like using synthetic layers instead of wool for the most part. I’m digging my Sitka, it’s legit but so was the first lite kit. The only thing that I really missed from Kuiu was the guide jacket. Other than that for me there are better options in other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want to get into the history of rokslide and KUIU just search for it and you'll get numerous articles that are locked but are great threads if you have time.

Now onto the clothing. I have used several pieces of KUIU and I just felt the quality wasn't that great. The gaiters are solid though and I cant recommend them enough. Otherwise I sold all my stuff for Sitka and FL. They just fit my needs better. I've noticed a trend on RS since I've joined that KUIU isn't brought up that much anymore because of the blowback that happens.

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
I had no idea really. I’m new to Rokslide but I’ve been a member of ArcheryTalk and LongRange among others for a long time. I like this forum a lot so far. It’s been very helpful and will continue to be for my upcoming hunt

I like their stuff. Have a bunch of it. It is a bit less expensive than some of the other premium brands. Just not popular to discuss here due to the relationship. Lots of old threads to read there. No need to rehash.

The Gaiters are really good and they are known for their attack pants. I have a first gen(after the frame fix) Icon 1850/5200 pack and it has been very good for me the last three hunts.

I like their upper base layers, but run a different brand of lowers, but rarely wear base layers (except as outer layers) on early season hunts.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The cut of their clothing is about the weirdest I've seen in a long time. It just doesn't fit me correctly.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I run a mixture of FL baselayers, mostly KUIU top layer stuff (love my Chugach NX rain gear), and random other companies like Prana, Columbia, Eddie Bauer, etc.

I like their stuff for the most part. Some things they aren't the best at, others they are, IMO. I can't say, however, that I will be buying much more of their clothing. They are just pricing themselves too damn high these days. Every time they release an updated version of something, the price jumps another $50. It's gotten a bit ridiculous. $400 for a puffy? $700+ for their best rain gear? GTFO of here with that crap.

Their fit is also weird as hell. If you're not a 90lb high school cheerleader, it probably won't fit you. I normally wear an XL, but need a 3x or 4x in KUIU. It's really crushing my self image.

That said, I do think they make some quality clothing (but not all) and I really like a lot of the things I already own. Even if I have no idea WTF Toray fabric is, or what Quix Down is.

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I’m worried about how it would fit me. I’m 6’0” 235# with a short torso and long legs, which may give me an advantage though with the shorter type jackets and 34” inseams. I’ve always had great success with Sitka Gear so probably don’t need to change. The Timberline pants looks really good to me

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love my Yukon gaiters and Kenai jacket. Like Ross, I found the Super Down jacket to not be warm enough and found better value elsewhere for that. Wasn't a fan of their merino base layers either. I would love to wear some of their pants but they aren't long enough for me. As far as just the clothes aspect of KUIU they're like any other manufacturer......they have stuff you'll like and other stuff you may not like.

robie

WKR
Jay,

Just curious what season is your OIL tag? A couple of points.

1. All of the top three brands (Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite) will do what you want as well as others including just plain hiking none camo gear.

2. Just like several guys have said a lot of it comes down to personal preference on fit and feel. Doesn't make one brand good/bad.

3. Most guys on here like gear, so they simply want to try new things which can mean selling something they had/liked to try something different.

4. If you're watching a bag dump often times they are sponsored and will wear all brand X. If you looking through hunting mags Eastmans, Epic, Hunting Fool you will see plenty of Kuiu and other brands from the average hunter.

Me personally I wear a lot of Kuiu because they used to offer amazing sales, 30% off black Friday and 20% off throughout the year, and I would stock up when they did. It seems they no longer have the sales they once did so I will shop around a bit more to see has the best deal for the article of clothing I need.

My advice is you don't need a ton of clothing to get a hunt done, if you want to buy it have fun. Good luck.

WoodBow

WKR
All of the big companies do certainly things very well and are lacking in other areas. I keep the stuff that works well and sell the stuff that does not. Kuiu gaiters are legit.

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
Jay,

Just curious what season is your OIL tag? A couple of points.

1. All of the top three brands (Kuiu, Sitka, Firstlite) will do what you want as well as others including just plain hiking none camo gear.

2. Just like several guys have said a lot of it comes down to personal preference on fit and feel. Doesn't make one brand good/bad.

3. Most guys on here like gear, so they simply want to try new things which can mean selling something they had/liked to try something different.

4. If you're watching a bag dump often times they are sponsored and will wear all brand X. If you looking through hunting mags Eastmans, Epic, Hunting Fool you will see plenty of Kuiu and other brands from the average hunter.

Me personally I wear a lot of Kuiu because they used to offer amazing sales, 30% off black Friday and 20% off throughout the year, and I would stock up when they did. It seems they no longer have the sales they once did so I will shop around a bit more to see has the best deal for the article of clothing I need.

My advice is you don't need a ton of clothing to get a hunt done, if you want to buy it have fun. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve hunted my entire life but never out West for anything really serious, been to Bozeman twice on some grouse and partridge hunts, little muley action with a buddy. My hunt is from Oct. 20th thru the 28th in Unit 410 Missouri Breaks of MT. I’m a gear freak too as I always get my balls busted by my buddies here in the South who don’t spend much money on gear but then always call me when they wanna borrow something. Funny how that works. As far as watching the pack dumps go, I have enjoyed listening to Randy Newberg because he seems to use things that work for him and not because he’s paid to. I could be wrong in that. One this is for certain, I will always be prepared, maybe over prepared on whatever hunt that I’m doing...

Last edited:
OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
All of the big companies do certainly things very well and are lacking in other areas. I keep the stuff that works well and sell the stuff that does not. Kuiu gaiters are legit.

I’ve heard nothing but good things for their gaiters and zip dry and roll top dry bags. I’m a member of Huntin Fool and they have a Father’s Day sale going on so maybe I’ll pick up the Yukon and a Scree gaiters and try em out...

Looking at getting a super down ultra is it as good as the kuiu videos say? I have a mix of Sitka, kryptek, FL and I like to think I've put together a great layering setup just looking to fill that insulation layer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I’ve hunted my entire life but never out West for anything really serious, been to Bozeman twice on some grouse and partridge hunts, little muley action with a buddy. My hunt is from Oct. 20th thru the 28th in Unit 410 Missouri Breaks of MT. I’m a gear freak too as I always get my balls busted by my buddies here in the South who don’t spend much money on gear but then always call me when they wanna borrow something. Funny how that works. One this is for certain, I will always be prepared, maybe over prepared on whatever hunt that I’m doing...

Gear is fun. We all enjoy researching and talking about it.

You won't be upset with Kuiu if you go that route, but you may find something else you like better.

Congrats on the tag, you should have a great hunt.

slick

WKR
Use their Chugach, Kenai, & Guide, sets. A mix of merino, peloton, down, & attack pants.

I will say the crotch in the pants fits a little weird, but other than that I have no complaints. As others have stated less than ideal or stellar at times moves by Jason, but some of this has been gifted to me and I won’t turn that down. That being said I also use Sitka and FL.

I will say I wore the guide pants for 17 days straight last Sept and they held up great in all conditions; sun-sleet.

And I’ve currently been wearing their solid color attack pants 50+ days in a row for work. They have held up without a stitch missing and don’t think I’ll stray from the attacks after putting them through the ringer the last couple months.

Last edited: