Where’s the love for KUIU?

boom

WKR
i have a ton of Kuiu gear..when it comes to hunting, i'm just putting on a shirt or jacket. the name on the garment quits being important. i just wear it to stay warm and dry. my crap doesnt even match anymore.

this forum has their clear favorites. it's like a parents dirty secret: they do have a favorite.

Like my kuiu gaiters, dcs guide jacket attack and tiburon pants. I have a snap shirt jacket that I love. Base layers were fine. I like the zip off bottoms a lot for the zip function.

I find their fit to be inconsistent on different items. I have tops ranging ranging from xl - xxxl.

Customer service has been good on all but one occasion.

I probably own more first lite stuff and even more Sitka at this point but I think the kuiu is right up there in terms of performance.

I've tried almost all of their clothes. I kept the zip off base layers, both sets of gaiters, guide gloves, northstar gloves, yukon rain gear, and chugach rain gear. As most have stated it is personal preference. I now have mostly Sitka with a mix of Kuiu, but it's ever changing. I get a deep discount with Sitka, so that is why have so much Sitka. If I didn't have that, then I probably wouldn't own as much Sitka as I have.

TheCougar

WKR
I like their gators, guide pants, alpine pants, guide vest and chinook synthetic jacket. Their attacks are okay but Eddie Bauer guide pants at 50% off blow them out of the water for value. I am one of those that has a mix of First Lite, Kuiu and Sitka and wear it interchangeably. First Lite merino is my preferred for base layers. ExOfficio boxers are the best underwear made.

Here is a picture of a First Lite/Kuiu marriage.

2f669c2d5f77f879bbbb07b94fdb98af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correction: Ex officio WAS the greatest underwear ever made... but they recently changed the design and fabric and I don’t like it. Way to loose and the fabric just doesn’t support the way the old ones did. This change happened within the last 6 months and no matter where I look, I can find the old ones...

I agree. The new exofficio designs aren’t the best. The old version are awesome.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Their attacks are okay but Eddie Bauer guide pants at 50% off blow them out of the water for value.

So I LOVE the eddie baurer guide series, seriously its my uniform (chinos at work, pro guide pants at home all winter, one pair of pro guide shorts I wear a lot already and I'd like more of them)... that said for my hunting I still like the attack pants more. I hunt rifle mainly so the attack being a bit thicker and having hip vents suits me better. I find the cut very similar and both pants fit me great.

I am a mix/match clothing guy but do have numerous kuiu pieces due to the sales and/or features I couldn't find elsewhere but other pieces I could easily use another brand. The ones I like that I would likely rebuy kuiu if I needed to replace:
*Attack pants - as noted I like these a lot, I'd check with skre as they are also doing hip vents now but seriously the other manufacturers need to get on board with the hip vents...
*Zip off base layer pants - I'm the right deomographic for these, I like them a lot actively hunting in the mountains with large temperature swings.
*Peleton 200 gloves - The thickness, fit, quick dry works very well for me (better than polartec 100 type gloves), I'm not ruling out there might be something else on the market that would also work well but I know about these and like them a lot.

Their fit is also weird as hell. If you're not a 90lb high school cheerleader, it probably won't fit you. I normally wear an XL, but need a 3x or 4x in KUIU. It's really crushing my self image.

This exaggeration is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal but the guys who are used to the loose clothes for the average American (who on average are a bit more rounded out) that in turn say things like the above 90lb cheerleader comment get rather old. Its simple the stuff is cut athletic towards a mountain athlete. I can foresee some athletic guys might run into issues if they have really large muscular thighs in the smaller sizes.

I'm 6' and being 100% honest with myself (no delusional "I've filled out over the years" claims) my lean weight is 170lb unless I'm carrying around more honest muscle at times. When I was heavier than that for years I lied to myself with the filled out mindset, it wasn't till I hit 180 that I saw I had more fat, then 175 and still more fat, reality was 170 and the only filled out was fatted out. That said I was back up at 200 a bit ago and currently only back down to 190 and no it wasn't honest muscle. :p With than in mind 34attacks fit me great. Large shirts are loose if anything. I have the Teton puffy in a medium, if fits me slim but in no way is it constricting when worn over my baselayer or thin fleece. Maybe some other pieces run weird/small but I haven't ran into that situation and I don't see a basis around the 90lb cheerleader claims when I am honest about what size I actually am. Yes that size reality can be humbling, don't get pissed at kuiu (or other brands with athletic body cuts as a mission statement) its the clothing made for the average that has gotten incrementally larger/looser over the years... ;)

WKR
I really like their stuff. I like their business model of direct to consumer, I like the camo pattern (vias), I like the sales they do, I like their gear. I feel that it is very good quality and I haven't had any problems with their stuff. I also really like the fit. I'm 5'11", 190#, 32" waist big butt/legs, arms/chest like a 10 year old girl. Kuiu pants are the best I've found for my build. They are tight in the thighs and butt, but stretch so it's not limiting, and the waist doesn't bunch up too much after I tighten my belt. Shirts/jackets are fine.

I don't care about Jason or any of the other drama, doesn't affect me at all.

OP
jayjay24

jayjay24

Lil-Rokslider
How is the SKRE Gear for anyone who’s tried it out? They have a Father’s Day sale going on currently...

Likes: Chugach Rain Gear, Attack Pants, Webbing belt (and they are 1-1/2" wide, not 1" like their ad says), Peloton 240 full zip jacket with hood, Guide Gloves, zip-off long johns, Super-down parka with hood, Super-down side zip bottoms, Super-down 15*F sleeping bag.

Dislikes: Merino zip neck tees and bottoms, Guide jacket and vest.

Overall I think they are good clothing supplier. I typically mix some Cabelas and COSTCO stuff in with the KUIU and am happy.

boom

WKR
This exaggeration is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal but the guys who are used to the loose clothes for the average American (who on average are a bit more rounded out) that in turn say things like the above 90lb cheerleader comment get rather old. Its simple the stuff is cut athletic towards a mountain athlete. I can foresee some athletic guys might run into issues if they have really large muscular thighs in the smaller sizes.

)

i agree whole-heartedly. this exaggeration reminds me of one of those old wives tales. for example, never drink Corona Beer because i have cousin with a friend that used to date the uncle of the gardener that used to plant trees for a man that said he PERSONALLY peed in the fermentation tank.

i wear the Kuiu Attack. i am getting lighter, but i am NOT a thin athletic build. my pants fit fine..do the exact same pant look better on my skinny ass brother? you bet! my pants have a way looser leg.

my good buddy is downright obese. his KUIU that hangs in his closet is HUGE..they fit him fine. when he puts them on. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So I LOVE the eddie baurer guide series, seriously its my uniform (chinos at work, pro guide pants at home all winter, one pair of pro guide shorts I wear a lot already and I'd like more of them)... that said for my hunting I still like the attack pants more. I hunt rifle mainly so the attack being a bit thicker and having hip vents suits me better. I find the cut very similar and both pants fit me great.

This exaggeration is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal but the guys who are used to the loose clothes for the average American (who on average are a bit more rounded out) that in turn say things like the above 90lb cheerleader comment get rather old. Its simple the stuff is cut athletic towards a mountain athlete.

I would agree that the "90lb cheerleader" is an exaggeration. However, I notice that you love the EB Guide Pants. There is no exaggeration that those pants fit like skinny jeans look like they fit. The crotch is 3" higher than every other pair of pants I've ever tried on, and my skinny thighs could barely fit into 38's, and I normally wear a 34-36. Those are NOT exaggerations.

As for the KUIU fit, there is no doubt that they run small.......not just athletic, but SMALL. I'm 6'6" 220 and very athletic fit. Everything is an upsize in KUIU.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve hunted my entire life but never out West for anything really serious, been to Bozeman twice on some grouse and partridge hunts, little muley action with a buddy. My hunt is from Oct. 20th thru the 28th in Unit 410 Missouri Breaks of MT. I’m a gear freak too as I always get my balls busted by my buddies here in the South who don’t spend much money on gear but then always call me when they wanna borrow something. Funny how that works. As far as watching the pack dumps go, I have enjoyed listening to Randy Newberg because he seems to use things that work for him and not because he’s paid to. I could be wrong in that. One this is for certain, I will always be prepared, maybe over prepared on whatever hunt that I’m doing...

Randy has a list of sponsors, just like most hunting personalities you'll see on TV. Sitka is included in that list.

codym

WKR
Kuiu has been good for me. Really love my attack pants, have several pair and even wear them to work. I have merino base layers and they have all been good. I'm 5'10 225 10% body fat so not a cheerleader, XXL in tops and 36 in pants are perfect, a bit tight in the thighs but the stretch makes it an non issue for me. I have had consistent sizing from them which has been way different than what I have experienced from FL. I only have 2 FL pieces so that's my vey limited experience. My wife has a full FL kit that she loves and fits her well. I really want to try some of their new wool base layers but been waiting since March and I refuse to pre-order especially if they can't meet their own release dates. I have never used Sitka always seems really high priced to me, but I have no doubt it's solid gear. Try some stuff and see what you like but I like kuiu no bad to report with quality or CS.

keller

WKR
I am not a member of any gear cult.i own some kuiu.some cabelas.very little sitka gear, lightweight sitka hoody which I love.kuiu gear 0 degree sleeping bag.socks over the calf are awesome.145 zip off bottoms.130 peloten tops.yukon gaters.yukon pro gloves.yukon rain gear.7200 pack.guide pants.attack pants camo and solid color. wear the solids for training and church.i love the attack pants.binoc harness.love them all. kuiu gear I sent back that didn't work.boxers I have big thighs they stuck to my thighs and pulled down as I walked.guide coat tight in forearms I wanted to put a puffy under it wouldn't work.customer service has been great with kuiu. except for one snotty female who had no idea what she was talking about.it depends who you get on the phone.i am 5'4" 150 lbs med size in everything fits me perfect.good luck

boom

WKR
I agree. The new exofficio designs aren’t the best. The old version are awesome.

i'm hoarding a few pairs for my vacation. the old version is fantastic. i joke that the make my junk look awesome. :D

Dwnorton1

FNG
Love Kuiu pants both the Alpine pants and the Chinook pants, maybe odd beany. Had some earlier generation kuiu wool and it really piled and lost material. They warrantied couple of time but finally went with FL and never looked back. Nearly everything else is first lite. Have a pair of first lite pants but man is the inseam short. Other perplexing thing is that they put giant metal button right on side of knee to tie rolled up pants to. Not sure who thought that was good idea I promptly removed them. Most of my FL is older design. Wore some red deserts out. Tried some aerowool and they fell apart. FL did warranty Love FL raingear with giant pit zips and zips down side of pants. Also run a KUIU pack and have no real complaints with it. But really want a kifaru really really, but just haven't been able to justify new backpack in my own mind.

From whole thread above, seems like everyone does the same thing, mix and match what fits and you find on sale etc. I'll keep my hodgepodge of gear until I find a sponsor. Hear that FL or KUIU still waiting on sponsorship.:)

Brendan

WKR
I personally wear Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Prana, Carhartt, Kuhl, Eddie Bauer, marmot, patagonia, REI, Black Diamond, and whatever else fits the bill for the specific gear I need.

As far as Kuiu goes, I have not found a better Archery Elk insulating layer than the Kenai. Love it. Big pit zips, quiet, perfect amount of insulation. The zip on/off merino bottoms are brilliant. Being able to layer up or down without taking off your boots/gaiters is a game changer. Love the attack pants, will be going back to them after trying others. Guide DCS jacket was an awesome soft shell - need one in Major brown. Been running the Chugach NX jacket and pants for 4 years and they're still in great shape even though I have the bug to try something else.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the company sometimes, but they do have certain gear that works really well.

Clothing is so subjective and personal. I love my KUIU clothing. I ran an original pair of attacks for 6 years in the oak brush of the SW with no real issues and what I would consider normal wear for the conditions. That said I sold my attacks and alpines last year and am going with EB guide pros for early season. I will also sell my super down this year. I have not kept the FL pieces I have tried. They just didn't fit my style of hunting needs. I think my favorite KUIU is the pants, the heavy peloton, the rain gear, the gaitors, and the gloves. I plan to get the heavier down jacket.

MattB

WKR
I have some pieces from a number of top notch hunting clothes manufacturers but prefer Kuiu. Love the Attack pants, next to skin merino 1/4 zips, mid layers, and gaiters. On the packs, tents, and bags, I think there are better options.