MSR Windburner Duo

Camomutt

FNG
I found a used windburner duo for sale, so I looked up the specs and was surprised at the weight of 1lb 5oz. Is this worth the weight? I know its more efficient, but if I were to get an msr pocket rocket, I could bring alot more fuel for that weight. Am I looking at this the wrong way?
If I were to buy a PR, would a titanium pot and titanim mug be the way to go? Or a titanium pot and plastic cup, using the pot to boil water for food and coffee, and mixing the coffee in the plastc cup?
Thanks for your help.

Lawnboi

WKR
Depends a lot on your use. I have a pocket rocket and have for a long time, along with a titanium MSR kettle. It's my lightweight, decent weather stove. If I'm going somewhere it's going to be cold, windy or otherwise I'll bring something else. If it's a short trip, summer or warm weather trip or day trip I'll bring the pocket rocket.

A Nalgene bottle will take hot liquid and not be redundant and will be tough.

If you're looking for just an UL wt. system, why even bother bring a separate cup for coffee. For UL, I use a 0.9 oz. BRS stove (pretty much the same as the MSR pocket rocket but lighter and less expensive), and a Toaks 650ml titanium pot with lid and hot lips. The only thing I'm doing with it is boiling water for my MH meals and coffee. The hot lips allow you to drink hot liquid right out of the ti pot. Total wt. with a long ti spoon, 100g fuel canister, and lighter is 11.4 oz. Anyway, just another option.

I always bring the extra cup for coffee cuz I don’t like mixing coffee and food from the same pot. That said find a little Ti or Al cup instead of plastic. Makes it dual use (ish) and won’t crack in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Camomutt

FNG
Thanks for the help. I'm planning a week stone sheep hunt, a 3 day elk hunt, and 2-3 overnight goat hunts, so I bought a windburner. Then I bought a BRS to try out because its only 20 bucks.