Sawyer mini VS Katadyn befree

I'm in the market for a water filter and was curious if anyone has any experience with these. Looking at specs the Katadyn has a much higher flow rate but I read several places that they seem to plug up faster. I will be using it for about 2 weeks this fall if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Everything I read pointed me to the Sawyer Squeeze over the mini, even though I ordered one first. It can be run as an inline filter if you choose, but the sweet setup many use is the quick connect.

You don’t have to take the bladder out of your pack to refill it, and if you have to carry a full day’s worth of water you can leave the filter at camp. I spliced mine in farther up the hose so the mouthpiece stays attached to the shoulder strap clip.

Sawyer Fast Fast Fill Adapters - YouTube

No experience with the sawyer.

I spent a week using the Katadyn Liked it but experienced the silting and flow reduction when it got plugged up. Worked great in clear lake water. Silty river stuff was trouble. The issue was that if you tried to back flush the dirt went into the dirty resivoir so it plugged again. If you buy Katadyn make sure you get an output hose. Trying to pour into bottles and pans was a pain in the ass.

I bought a platypus rig in part because the inline filter can be back flushed by removing the filter and running clean water back thru with a reverse flow - gravity or squeeze. I liked the two resivoir concept and 4 liter capacity as well. So far I have tested it but need to ring it out for a trip or two before I can say whether I really like it.

Floorguy

WKR
The mini is slow and I have had issues with two minis cracking and leaking at the place where the body meets the endcap.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk