Critique my CO Elk Gear List

Your list isn’t that bad, but I would definitely save weight on your sleeping bag and the pad, especially if you don’t have a pad yet. You can get a 2lb bag for $200 and a 1lb insulated pad for $100. If you’re really not talking about going until September 2019, saving $5/week until then would get you there. If you can’t save $5/week than go with your plan but IMO you’ve got no business elk hunting and should be working instead.

I’ve been that poor before where I needed to get a deer for the meat and the gas driving the 30 minutes to my hunting area was eating me up, I won’t go back to doing it again.

OP
Boxerboxer
Your list isn’t that bad, but I would definitely save weight on your sleeping bag and the pad, especially if you don’t have a pad yet. You can get a 2lb bag for $200 and a 1lb insulated pad for $100. If you’re really not talking about going until September 2019, saving $5/week until then would get you there. If you can’t save $5/week than go with your plan but IMO you’ve got no business elk hunting and should be working instead.

I’ve been that poor before where I needed to get a deer for the meat and the gas driving the 30 minutes to my hunting area was eating me up, I won’t go back to doing it again.

I'm a mid-career engineer with a large ag equipment manufacturer. I also have priorities other than hunting (family vacations, savings, etc), and a budget I take seriously. That budget gets me into all the gear I need plus a tag by September IF I'm extra judicious with it. If you don't see how absurd it is to suggest I not hunt because you think my sleep system is too heavy, you've got no business giving internet advice :)

I'm a mid-career engineer with a large ag equipment manufacturer. I also have priorities other than hunting (family vacations, savings, etc), and a budget I take seriously. That budget gets me into all the gear I need plus a tag by September IF I'm extra judicious with it. If you don't see how absurd it is to suggest I not hunt because you think my sleep system is too heavy, you've got no business giving internet advice :)

Not that your sleep system is too heavy, more that if you don’t have an extra $5/week you need to be working rather than hunting. Hope a week’s pay is more than $300 or you need a new job. JMHO.

WIWapiti

FNG
I like to always have two releases myself. I also like the tyvek over plastic. I'd have more arrows in the truck because I like to shoot at stumps and critters.

OP
Boxerboxer
Not that your sleep system is too heavy, more that if you don’t have $5/week you need to be working rather than hunting. JMHO.

I have zero interest in your opinion on what I should do with my time or my money. Could I work more than my usual ~50/wk? Sure. Would I be willing to sacrifice daily family time for a little extra gear money? Absolutely not. Miss me with that "work more" nonsense.

Not that your sleep system is too heavy, more that if you don’t have an extra $5/week you need to be working rather than hunting. Hope a week’s pay is more than $300 or you need a new job. JMHO.

I think you have exhausted your input on OP’s gear list, as was the focus of this thread, and should see yourself out. Your on-topic contributions have been noted and appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand the priorities of budgeting life and gear. With that I say research the items you still need to purchase. Run with what you have and then consider changes.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
not to hi jack the thread, but how many times do you think you can use an 8 oz can of gas to cook with. Im sure it is dependent on altitude etc, but I like to use mountain house or oatmeal and usually only need to boil a cup of water at a time, but ive never kept track of how many time I can boil a cup of water out of 1 can..

OP
Boxerboxer
not to hi jack the thread, but how many times do you think you can use an 8 oz can of gas to cook with. Im sure it is dependent on altitude etc, but I like to use mountain house or oatmeal and usually only need to boil a cup of water at a time, but ive never kept track of how many time I can boil a cup of water out of 1 can..

It's a valid point, but in this case I'm using it to heat 8oz water for coffee once a day for 7 days. Doesn't need to boil and isn't much water to begin with.

LOL dude you have no right to give this guy any advise on how he spends his money or does with his time. You’re telling this guy he shouldn’t go hunting?.. who are you to say? Unreal, the internet these days...

I get people asking advise on their gear lists and most people are very helpful but there will always be those people saying you can’t hunt the backcountry if you don’t have this or if you don’t buy that. Just go hunting with what you have and make it happen.

Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk