Critique my CO Elk Gear List

I am heading to CO next year for the first or second week of archery season. It will be my first backcountry hunt, but I'll be with a couple other guys who have several years of experience camping and hunting in CO, MT, etc. We will be hiking in and making camp, then spiking out during the day. We will most likely head back to the truck to resupply after 3-4 days. Note that my current plan is to eat primarily pemmican due to the fact I feel much better on a keto diet, but this WILL BE TESTED BEFORE THE HUNT and I will make adjustments to the food as necessary. Anyway, based on this plan, the stove is strictly for heating water to make coffee. I will probably make some camp shoes out of foam and duct tape, but am going to try it out and see if I like them before adding to the list.

I am a cheap bastard, so if you see any cheap bastard ways to improve on this I'm going to be all over that shit.

Here's the list:
https://lighterpack.com/r/e0an2g

I would definitely bring a good topo map and compass, and/or GPS with private land boundaries. If you are going for elk, you might want at least one more pillow case game bag.

Cool list but a few things immediately jump out.

1) Your bag really weighs around 4lbs depending on size (not 6+). You could easily drop 2lbs with a quilt.

2) Is your stove just to heat water? Your stove+fuel+cup is almost a pound. Why not use a cheap amazon canister stove or splurge and get a MSR PR2? Probably the same (or less weight) than the stove/alcohol and less mess. You just need a light cup that can be heated.

3) I second the map/compass/GPS

sneaky

"DADDY"
No way would I deal with the mess of an alcohol stove compared to much more convenient alternatives. Does your empty pack seriously weigh 10lbs? Have at it with pemmican for a week. The lack of variety in your meal plan is going to make for a long week on the hill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tag_Soup

WKR
Overall your list looks really good. A few things jump out though.
1) with a sawyer mini you need either 2 bladders or a bladder and bottle setup.
2) Your pad really weighs 2 lbs? I have a ultra-luxurious pad to use with my quilt and it comes in at 14 oz. The quilt saved me over 2 lbs. I like it through mid October.
3) I only bring 1 contractor bag. 4 seems excessive. You can get a whole deboned elk in one if you need to cool it off, assuming you are using the large sized ones. I also bring a small (3'x4') piece of PolyCro for a drop cloth while field dressing. If you are packing camp up every day, you could just use your ground sheet for this.
4) Ditch the alcohol stove and go with a cheapo like the pocket rocket or amazon knock off. Use a lightweight single wall cup. You will just be making coffee so all the fuss seems hardly worth it and there is not a need to pack anything big for dehydrated meals.
5) Ditch the multitool - I did mine 3 years ago and have never missed it a bit. If you need pliers that bad, a lightweight set or some hemostats weight 1/20th of the multitool.
6) Nice work on the first aide. Mine is nearly identical. Some sting-eze or anti itch wipes can be a nice addition if the mosquitos/no seeums get bad.
7) I would add some emergency fire starter and a ferro rod or water proof matches. Hypothermia is no joke and getting a fire started without it could be next to impossible if you can't feel your fingers. It snowed on us nearly 2 feet during a September elk hunt last year and having a quick fire kept us from getting into trouble when we got wet.
8) I will be doing keto this year as well on my september hunts. We will see how energy levels hold up. I managed it for a couple days on a spring bear hunt and things went surprisingly well. That said, you could consider adding the following:
- Tinned meats. I like trader joes smoked oysters in olive oil, but any will be a good source of fat and protein
- Nut butters. I will be trying F-bomb, but for now justins plain almond butter is awesome
- Salami & hard cheese. Cheddar is OK for about 3-4 days, else bring something harder like Parm
- MCT oil and Protein Powder. Bring a shaker and this if you want something quick.
- Ghee/Coconut oil in a squeeze pouch. I add this to my morning coffee. Shaker works well, but I have an MSR cup with a lid that is OK if you hold the lid tight while you shake it up.
- Macadamia nuts & cocoa nibs in a ziplock for a quick hit of fat/energy/flavor while on the hill.
- Homemade "packaroons". This is my current experiment. I use flaked unsweetened coconut, almond flower, raw cashews, and Vitafiber syrup. 4:2:1:1 ratio is where I am at right now. Still trying to get things right with these, but getting close. I think dehydrating them will be the ticket. The flavor is awesome and having some semblance of sweetness is really nice. I may do salt roasted pecans instead of cashews in the next batch.

Good luck out there!

OP
Boxerboxer
I would definitely bring a good topo map and compass, and/or GPS with private land boundaries. If you are going for elk, you might want at least one more pillow case game bag.

Map and GPS (my phone on airplane mode) are on the list. Good note on the game bag. We're splitting meat though no matter who kills so I probably don't even need the 4 except in the unlikely event we all tag out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Boxerboxer
No way would I deal with the mess of an alcohol stove compared to much more convenient alternatives. Does your empty pack seriously weigh 10lbs? Have at it with pemmican for a week. The lack of variety in your meal plan is going to make for a long week on the hill.

You must be misreading the list. It's an older duplex with argali bag at about 5lbs. I like to do shit the hard way but like I said, I will test it before the hunt.

OP
Boxerboxer
Cool list but a few things immediately jump out.

1) Your bag really weighs around 4lbs depending on size (not 6+). You could easily drop 2lbs with a quilt.

2) Is your stove just to heat water? Your stove+fuel+cup is almost a pound. Why not use a cheap amazon canister stove or splurge and get a MSR PR2? Probably the same (or less weight) than the stove/alcohol and less mess. You just need a light cup that can be heated.

3) I second the map/compass/GPS

Thanks!

1. Bag really weighs what I have in there. Actual weight on scale. Quilt is not happening now because I have the bag and budget is LOW. I will make or buy one eventually though.

2. I need to evaluate actual fuel need. I think it's high. In any case, I already have the stove and fuel so I'm not buying anything there. Cheap > light for this trip. Noted for future trips.

3. Compass and map are there already. Using phone on airplane mode for GPS. Standalone unit is on the list for when I have more budget.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You must be misreading the list. It's an older duplex with argali bag at about 5lbs. I like to do shit the hard way but like I said, I will test it before the hunt.

How am I misreading your list? 160oz isn't 5lbs, 160oz is 10lbs. My math may be fuzzy at times, but 16oz is a pound, 160oz is 10 of those pounds.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In your own words lol
cdfd076b4ee91a0c89c5c6dbfdaf871c.jpg

OP
Boxerboxer
Overall your list looks really good. A few things jump out though.
1) with a sawyer mini you need either 2 bladders or a bladder and bottle setup.
2) Your pad really weighs 2 lbs? I have a ultra-luxurious pad to use with my quilt and it comes in at 14 oz. The quilt saved me over 2 lbs. I like it through mid October.
3) I only bring 1 contractor bag. 4 seems excessive. You can get a whole deboned elk in one if you need to cool it off, assuming you are using the large sized ones. I also bring a small (3'x4') piece of PolyCro for a drop cloth while field dressing. If you are packing camp up every day, you could just use your ground sheet for this.
4) Ditch the alcohol stove and go with a cheapo like the pocket rocket or amazon knock off. Use a lightweight single wall cup. You will just be making coffee so all the fuss seems hardly worth it and there is not a need to pack anything big for dehydrated meals.
5) Ditch the multitool - I did mine 3 years ago and have never missed it a bit. If you need pliers that bad, a lightweight set or some hemostats weight 1/20th of the multitool.
6) Nice work on the first aide. Mine is nearly identical. Some sting-eze or anti itch wipes can be a nice addition if the mosquitos/no seeums get bad.
7) I would add some emergency fire starter and a ferro rod or water proof matches. Hypothermia is no joke and getting a fire started without it could be next to impossible if you can't feel your fingers. It snowed on us nearly 2 feet during a September elk hunt last year and having a quick fire kept us from getting into trouble when we got wet.
8) I will be doing keto this year as well on my september hunts. We will see how energy levels hold up. I managed it for a couple days on a spring bear hunt and things went surprisingly well. That said, you could consider adding the following:
- Tinned meats. I like trader joes smoked oysters in olive oil, but any will be a good source of fat and protein
- Nut butters. I will be trying F-bomb, but for now justins plain almond butter is awesome
- Salami & hard cheese. Cheddar is OK for about 3-4 days, else bring something harder like Parm
- MCT oil and Protein Powder. Bring a shaker and this if you want something quick.
- Ghee/Coconut oil in a squeeze pouch. I add this to my morning coffee. Shaker works well, but I have an MSR cup with a lid that is OK if you hold the lid tight while you shake it up.
- Macadamia nuts & cocoa nibs in a ziplock for a quick hit of fat/energy/flavor while on the hill.
- Homemade "packaroons". This is my current experiment. I use flaked unsweetened coconut, almond flower, raw cashews, and Vitafiber syrup. 4:2:1:1 ratio is where I am at right now. Still trying to get things right with these, but getting close. I think dehydrating them will be the ticket. The flavor is awesome and having some semblance of sweetness is really nice. I may do salt roasted pecans instead of cashews in the next batch.

Good luck out there!

1. Can I not run it inline with the bladder as my dirty bag? It will suck to suck, but for cheap bastard reasons I can live with that this time. Future plan is 2 bladder setup.

2. Pad is just a conservative estimate as I don't have one yet. Quilt is something I will make/buy later but for this trip I'm going to use what I have.

3. Good note about the drop cloth for dressing. Regarding the contractor bags, one or two will line my pack bag to keep moisture away from stuff in case of rain or packing meat. Once I have all my stuff I'll play with it and maybe eliminate some.

4. Will eventually ditch the alcohol stove but not for this trip as budget is tight.

5. I'll think about it. Seems reasonable.

6. The current state of my ankles and neck is as compelling as anything. I'll get something anti itch in there.

7. Yes. I meant to have firestarter on the list, thanks for the reminder! Is there an advantage to matches/rod over the second lighter I have in the list?

8. Love the food ideas. Variety is a good thing.

OP
Boxerboxer
How am I misreading your list? 160oz isn't 5lbs, 160oz is 10lbs. My math may be fuzzy at times, but 16oz is a pound, 160oz is 10 of those pounds.

Oh man, my bad. I don't know where that number came from. Good catch.

Thanks!

1. Bag really weighs what I have in there. Actual weight on scale. Quilt is not happening now because I have the bag and budget is LOW. I will make or buy one eventually though.

2. I need to evaluate actual fuel need. I think it's high. In any case, I already have the stove and fuel so I'm not buying anything there. Cheap > light for this trip. Noted for future trips.

3. Compass and map are there already. Using phone on airplane mode for GPS. Standalone unit is on the list for when I have more budget.

You can get into a stove plus fuel for under $20. Well, worth it, imo.

Your phone is fine, then.

go with non insulated pad. weighs less, cheaper and just fine for early season.

Paper map for when things go wrong. Honestly I use the paper map 10x more than my gps/phone. Way more convenient and easy to read. Of course that could be the Marine coming out in me.

Like your list overall though. Might do a tyvek ground cloth. really like mine. Durable and super light. I am not an ounce counter though. Can't comment on the weights. I buy the best I can afford and go with it. Would hate to know what it all weighs.

for instance, My bag is an $89 cabelas 30 Degree bag. Weighs next to nothing. I use a liner and sleep in my clothes. Never had a prob in sept. However we have a tipi and a woodburner if we need it. I bought it because it was cheap but haven't felt the need to replace it.

OP
Boxerboxer
go with non insulated pad. weighs less, cheaper and just fine for early season.

Paper map for when things go wrong. Honestly I use the paper map 10x more than my gps/phone. Way more convenient and easy to read. Of course that could be the Marine coming out in me.

Like your list overall though. Might do a tyvek ground cloth. really like mine. Durable and super light. I am not an ounce counter though. Can't comment on the weights. I buy the best I can afford and go with it. Would hate to know what it all weighs.

for instance, My bag is an $89 cabelas 30 Degree bag. Weighs next to nothing. I use a liner and sleep in my clothes. Never had a prob in sept. However we have a tipi and a woodburner if we need it. I bought it because it was cheap but haven't felt the need to replace it.

Thanks, I like the suggestions. The paper map is already in the bino harness. Ground cloth is 3 mil plastic drop cloth for now because I had some, but I'm keeping an eye out for some Tyvek. As for the pad, uninsulated probably would work for this hunt, but I prefer to err on the side of versatility. I would rather not have more than one sleeping pad for now, so I'd like one I can use in colder weather. I've also seen plenty of people talk about wanting that 3+ R value even in early season because they sleep cold. If I were buying specifically for this trip and never using again I would probably go the light uninsulated pad route.

OP
Boxerboxer
go on amazon and type backpacking stove.
ton's of knock offs for under 15 dollars will pop up. that style of stove isnt that technical really.. its essentially a blow torch with folding legs to hold a pot.

How reliable are those, though? One of the things I like about the alcohol stove is that it's dead simple. Even if I accidentally crush it I can probably bend it back into shape and use it. I could probably just bring a canister and borrow a stove for that matter but I'd rather be as self sufficient as possible, even at the expense of a little weight.

How reliable are those, though? One of the things I like about the alcohol stove is that it's dead simple. Even if I accidentally crush it I can probably bend it back into shape and use it. I could probably just bring a canister and borrow a stove for that matter but I'd rather be as self sufficient as possible, even at the expense of a little weight.

i couldn't tell you as I run an MSR pocket rocket 2, which can be had for about 40 bucks and i've never run into any issues with it.
im with the majority here and wouldn't want to mess with the alcohol stove..risk spilling your fuel, etc.

I used one that cost me $8 for several years. Never had an issue even at almost 12k feet. That said I spent $40 on a pocket rocket last year, just because. Gave the amazon one to my brother and it was fine. Kept up with the pocket rocket just fine.

On my previous post. Sorry, didn't see the paper map part. One thing about Tyvek, it is rougher than plastic. If you are not perfectly flat, you may find yourself sliding off of your groundcloth..:)