IMO the best coffee system ever

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to share one of the greatest discoveries in gear that I have ever stumbled across. This coffee filter is the bomb. Stopped by an outfitter that I knew carried them today and bought a backup so that I could always keep my primary where it belongs. I can carry as much ground coffee as I think I'll need and then some backup coffee in case something catastrophic happens to my main supply. I know that at least a few people take their coffee as seriously as I do. GSI claims it to weigh 11 grams. I have been using this thing for several years and untold cups of coffee and it never fails to satisfy.
29e828befe342eb15c535032e2516829.jpg
1c7f5ceb55a654573022c0ea9926784e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This man coffees.

The amazon reviews say that you should use a filter to slow the flow and create a strong enough brew. Have you found that to be true? I’m into this but don’t want to add filters to my kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Carter

WKR
Completely agree, this thing makes a mean cup and weighs nothing. The weight can be a bit deceptive though because you do have to bring a separate cup to drip into, but I’ve used Starbucks to go cups which also weigh basically nothing.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
No extra filter needed as far as I can tell. I add a little more ground than what the instructions call for. Seems that I can make a cup that is undrinkable for all those but the diehard. I have always carried a coffee cup along with my pot. This cup is primarily for my coffee but is also graduated to the ounce for many other cooking measurements. Can be used for some other chores like evening drinks.

OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a sea to summit Delta mug that fits in my toaks pot with the pocket rocket. I believe the delta mug is vintage now.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
A huge +1 on the GSI. For those usin it and grinding yournown, make your grind for the GSI pour over a touch finer than what you would use in a paper filter. I own 4 of these bastards and have them stashed everywhere. I even carry one on my airline trips to ensure I can have an appropriately caffeinatjng cup of coffee all over the world. Cleanup in the field is kind of a pain so I just toss the grounds as best I can and wait till I hit a flowing stream or head back home before a thorough cleanout of the mesh.

Coffee On!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And ordered on amazon for 10 bucks. Has to beat instant coffee.

I guess that depends on the instant you're using. I've tried all those screens/mesh and filter systems and Via's still blow them away. Those are a pain even in base camp, let alone packing in. On top of that carrying several pounds of ground coffee goes against the whole lightweight movement, creates a mess to clean up, and leaves coffee grounds in the woods. Via's are still the best option out there by a LONG ways IMO. And if one Via isn't strong enough, then use two.

Beendare

WKR
If you are serious about your coffee, a mini French press is the bomb

I have a few different sizes.....the big insulated version is bad ass on a camping trip......nothing better than a good cup of coffee on a cold morning in the woods

FURMAN

WKR
Easier to cleanup than the jetboil press. You may have to play around with the amount of grounds you use but this is a great coffee maker for the back country.

Does anyone know if the GSI would mount onto the plastic jetboil measuring cup? It’s wider than the cup shown in the picture above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
OP
Whitetoptom

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I would think that it would fit on about any size cup. The legs are flexible and spread out pretty wide.

valtteri

FNG
I’m a caffeine junkie and tried about everything when it comes to coffee in the woods. The setup I’ve now settled into consists of the following:
-Hario V60 size 1 plastic drip (Amazon.com: Hario V60 Plastic Coffee Dripper, Size 01, Clear: Kitchen & Dining), 2.65oz
-Hario paper filters, 0.04oz per filter
-Kupilka 21 plastic kuksa (Kupilka 21 | Kupilka), 3.15oz

I pour it directly onto the Kupilka, which is this cool eco/composite kuksa that is far lighter than my real wooden kuksa. This is basically the setup I use at home too. The only thing I haven’t cracked is how to pour water from my Ti cup like a gooseneck kettle which I think is essential to a good cup. But everything tastes better outdoors anyway so it’s really a non-issue.

If someone only made moka pots in titanium...