Animal Breakdown Kit

+1 for the rokslide kit. They were out of stock when I wanted one so I built my own.

Tag bags are great.
I added an extra set of gloves
Added a havalon and a few blades
Zip ties for tags
Some single wet wipes for clean up

muddydogs

WKR
I carry

Outdoor Edge EDC replacable knife and 5 blades. Amazon.com: Outdoor Edge RazorLite EDC Blue, RLU-40C, Replaceable Razor Blade Folding Pocket Knife with Pocket Clip and 6 3.5 Inch Replacement Blades: Sports & Outdoors

6 pair surgical gloves so I have extra in case I rip one, need to take one off or have multiple tags.

100 foot of 1.9mm Tech line because its as strong a chute cord but way lighter and a lot less bulk. Tech Line – DIY Gear Supply

One cut glove to protect my left hand, I'm messing with razor sharp knives in the middle of no where so it just seems like a good idea. Cut Resistant Gloves by Stark Safe (1 Pair) Food Grade Level 5 Protection, Safety Kitchen Cut Gloves for Fish Fillet, Oyster Shucking, Mandolin Slicing, Meat Cutting and Wood Carving - Large - - Amazon.com

All the above is in one of these Granite Gear pullouts. Amazon.com: Granite Gear Air Zipditty Zippered Pouch Set - 4 - One of each size: Sports & Outdoors

Blackovis large game bags which are on sale often. I food saver the bags to save space and keep dry should I happen to take a swim. Ovis Sacks | Reusable Game Bag | Synthetic Game Bags

Sil tarp to lay quarters on and keep meat clean as well as a quick shelter if needed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014U7JVZI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Dry sil bag 70L to help contain the blood while packing quarters. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CVYA78/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Granite Gear pullout loaded weights 10 oz, with the dry bag, game bags and sil tarp I'm at 45.60 oz or 2.85 LBS. The game bags weight 1.39 LBS themselves.

Last edited:
I typically carry the following. I used to have a "kill kit", and a survival kit. I realized there was a lot of duplication (tarp, bags, rope, etc) and was able to simplify. All of the following except the game bags fits easily into an ultralight pullout, or a gallon freezer bag.
Havalon with a few spare blades, some of the #70, #60, and #22
Fixed blade knife, usually on my belt
2 large contractor's trash bags
Black Ovis game bags
wad of paracord (this starts as a coil, but by the end of a season is a wad)
biodegradable surveyor's tape
tag, license, hunter's ed card
mini sharpie for signing tag
sometimes a bone saw
I also carry a space blanket/tarp in my day pack. This is a dry spot to sit and glass, an emergency shelter, a blanket, and a tarp for laying meat and stuff on. Amazon.com : Grabber All Weather Blanket, Blue 5' x 7' : Emergency Camping Blankets : Sports & Outdoors

The Rokslide kit is a great piece of gear, and there is room in that pullout for your knife and additional stuff.

Brendan

WKR
Rokslide Kill Kit - Support the forum (And TAG / Larry B.) !

I add in a Tyto with Havalon Blades, and a couple Contractor Bags.

I've cut myself enough times, I think it's time to start wearing gloves when I break down animals - I'll probably pack a couple pairs of the heavier duty ones from Harbor Freight.

fishslap

WKR
Most of what others said, here's mine that I've used for several elk and mule deer:
-Two fixed blade knives. One for skinning, one for boning. I have a new folder havalon with a traditional blade and a replaceable blade all on one knife that I might try this year. I carry a small pull through sharpener but rarely use it since I have two knives.
-Tag Bag set sized for elk. I also have a set of boned out bags, so I replace the fifth loose meat bag with two smaller bomb (boned out meat bag) bags to separate the neck and backstraps (and loins). I have a set of older tag bags that have been shortened due to repair that I take for mule deer.
-Two pair of nitrile gloves
-A small baggie of rope. 7 pieces, about 5' each I believe. I use four for hanging quarters, two more if I need to rig a meat pole but I normally use a leaning tree. One extra to tie up the head on a limb or hang some of the loose meat if I don't take it all on the first trip, or extra cordage to better secure a head on the pack. I use these pieces first to tie of a leg or two when butchering then reuse for hanging.
-Tag. I keep a few small zip ties in my other emergency kit but I normally just tie the tag on with a small piece of rope cut from my baggie o rope. I sign with my knife then with a pen again when I get to the truck. Never an issue.
-I normally don't use anything to lay the meat on since I take it right off the animal and into game bags but I did use my mylar emergency blanket last year on a muzzy bull as I was rolling it over during butchering due to how it was laying and I wasn't able to keep the inside of the hide clean to lay the quarter over on when I was taking it off. Worked great.
-I keep a few extra wipes in my bathroom kit so I just use those. Always need them.
-I keep a small bone saw with me but don't use it anymore so I might start leaving it. Only need it if I'm taking the skull cap of a bull vs. the whole top of the head. Plenty of arguments on having one or not.
-I always have a small amount of orange flagging tape in my kit and might use it to mark a spot as backup to GPS if it's not an easy spot to remember. Better safe than sorry. Always take it down on the last trip out.
-Last year I took a large outdoor research dry bag for my pack to keep it cleaner. Kind of optional in my opinion depending on how you plan to haul out.

I've added a couple bandaids and a pack of woundseal to mine. I have this stuff in my possibles, but it's nice to already have it out when you'll most likely need it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gallon ziplock bag (I use for putting bloody knives/gloves into when done):
*Game bags (quantity/size depends on the hunt)
*A garbage bag (just in case, lay meat on it, line a pack, etc.)
*Optional extra cordage depending on the hunt

Zipper case that always is with me:
*Small trowel & TP
*Wet wipes (bathroom clean up and also cleaning bloody hands after butchering)
*Small baggie with some first aid (a few band aids, some gauze pads, pain killers) and a separate roll of sticky medical tape.
*A bit of flagging tape
*15-20' of paracord
*A couple zip ties
*A single AAA mini flashlight
*A pen and tiny note pad
*Spare contact lens
*Lighter
*A set of spare batteries in whatever sizes I need for the trip
*Usually an extra ziplock or two
*An emergency blanket (can use to lay meat on to debone if needed but mainly its an emergency item)
*A few pairs of nitrile gloves
*Knives (personally I have a 1.6oz skeleton skinning blade, a folding boning knife, and a 2.8oz reverse blade for quickly making hide cuts. This is just preference I can do it all with a single folder if needed. I sometimes carry a small folding saw.)

muddydogs

WKR
I carry flagging as well but its not in my kill kit. My flagging is in a pouch on my pack waist belt were it can be gotten to quickly if I need to mark the spot where I am standing. When things are happening quick the last thing I want to do is take off my pack a route around for the flagging. To save bulk I just strip some flagging off the roll and stuff it into a convenient spot, a roll is way more then I would ever need in 10 hunts and I probably carry to much as it is now.

My main use for flagging is after the shot to mark where I was standing, once I get to where the animal was standing if I have to track from there I start a GPS log. My other use is to mark any meat left hanging while I'm packing out.

muddydogs

WKR
Another thing that's not in my kill kit but resides in an outside pocket where it's easy to get to is a headlamp. There's nothing better to shed a little light on a messy situation where you need both hands then a good headlamp with a low energy usage flood setting and a good spot setting.

Knives are a personal deal but I never thought I would go with a replacement blade rig until I had 2 elk down a couple years ago. I can sharpen a knife to razor sharp with the sandpaper method and carried a Esee 3" and an Esee 4" which took care of all my knife needs up to having 2 elk down. Some of my problem is I like sharp and when a knife isn't razor sharp I'm ready to dump it and grab another. When deciding if I wanted to carry another knife or some kind of sharpener I got to researching replaceable blade knives and came to the conclusion that I can carry the knife and a whole mess of blades for the weight of one of my Esee's. I found the Outdoor Edge knife as good as any and it was sure nice not dealing with a bunch of knives or sharpening knives last year on a Wy antelope hunt where we had 6 antelope down in 2 days. I did have to put a light weight Mora knife in my pack as I just can't go hunting without a fixed blade knife.

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry a kit I built that’s is very similar to the one for sale on the site. I like the replaceable blade knife, saves time. I also carry a bone saw type “do anything” saw in my pack that I designed and made.

The gear you will have is also dependent on how you quarter and where you hunt. I hunt steep areas where we often have to tie the animal in place to either a stake or a tree if one is nearby. And if you do a gutless quarter a saw is nice to cut a few ribs out to get to the tenderloins easier.

The Kill Kits are great, were out of stock when I was looking to order another so I ended up making my own:

-Outdoor Edge Razor lite w/ blades
-Black Ovis game bags(XL)
-4 pairs nitrile gloves
-100ft 550 cord
-4 carabiners
-4 zip ties
-backup headlamp w/batteries
-1 storage dry bag for kit