I HATE Mosquitos

treillw

WKR
I spent the last few days out running around the woods and I'm sitting here scratching myself again, despite wearing long sleeves and bug spray most of the time. I need to start doing something different. What works for you guys?

I hate smelling like a chemical bomb and having stuff on my skin. I would love to be able wear short sleeves and just have mosquitos leave me alone.

I'm wondering how thermacells and insect repellant clothing work? I might just have to soak an old shirt in deet. I'm also considering just letting them eat me until I become immune to them. :D

Something that doesn't stink would also be great for hunting. I used permethrin last year for ticks on my hunting close and I didn't have a single one. Not sure how it will hold up to multiple washings throughout the summer for various activities though. Is it strong enough to stop a swarm from following you?

Thanks for suggestions!

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't wear anything for the mosquitoes. The sweat due to the heat and humidity keeps them at bay for me. Chiggers are worst than mosquitoes, but they don't get on me that bad either.

Thermacells work if your sitting in a particular spot. I hunt a swamp in FL and can tell you when it runs out of butane because you’ll start getting torn up by mosquitoes. I’ve treated my hunting clothes with permethrin, primarily for ticks. It might keep mosquitos from biting you, but they'll still drone around your face, which is just as annoying.

Last edited:

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Picaridin has very little to no scent. Try that in combo with a permethrin treatment on clothes.

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
I use Permethrin and Repel Tick spray. The Repel tick spray doesn't give the same feel as regular bug spray, at least to me anyway. It doesn't have much of a smell either. If I'm sitting still, I do use thermacells.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thermacell works in a limited area as Gatorgrixx stated-but it does work very well, for me any way. I will not go in the woods when temps are above 55 or so without Thermacell.

I used to spray myself but I dislike the smell/feel of most of the repellents. I do not worry about any scent from the Thermacell as I pay attention to the wind currents to avoid detection

I have become a big fan of thermacells. I own two and will look into another of their bigger models for the back yard.

Read the directions on permethrin. Preapply and then let it dry. Don’t use it like a spray on. It is a fairly potent insecticide and it can cause some people to get sick.

KSP277

WKR
I know a guy that fishes at night a lot, swears by garlic pills. But he smells like a bag of ass. Undetermined whether that’s from the garlic pills or a hygiene issue. Could be both.

Thermacell with Earth Scent pads is what I use here in La. The Earth Scent doesn't smell bad at all. The regular scent pads seem to have a chemical smell. I was concerned the deer would smell them.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Thermacell with Earth Scent pads is what I use here in La. The Earth Scent doesn't smell bad at all. The regular scent pads seem to have a chemical smell. I was concerned the deer would smell them.

This. I use the earth scented ones. Do they smell like earth? Not at all. They just doesn't smell as bad. I hunt in swampy FL, and if you fail to bring a Thermacell you'll come out of the woods about 8 lbs lighter.

lostinsd

FNG
I have had good luck with both the thermacell when sitting and permethrin. I buy the permethrin on amazon in bulk and wash it into clothes or mix in a spray bottle. Also use permethrin to spray around the house inside and out to keep bugs out, seems to work great especially if it is relatively dry it will last weeks.

Murdy

WKR
Permethrin works for mosquitos, but you still have to use something else for areas of bare skin. For those, I think DEET works better than Picaridin, but it smells more too, so if the Picardin works for you, might be a better choice.
As others have said, thermacells work; I use one for early season bow hunting (tree stand here), but they are only good if you are still, and they can be a little pricey to run.

xcutter

WKR
Thermacell's work great. I pack one when I'm squirrel hunting here in Indiana. Only time I use bug spray is to spray around my ankles before heading into the woods to keep the chiggers away.

I highly recommend the Thermacell.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I still want someone to try some transdermal stuff like I put on my shepherd. K9 Advantix is the brand he uses. Who wants to be a guinea pig?

Oregon

WKR
Permethrin works for mosquitos, but you still have to use something else for areas of bare skin. For those, I think DEET works better than Picaridin, but it smells more too, so if the Picardin works for you, might be a better choice.
As others have said, thermacells work; I use one for early season bow hunting (tree stand here), but they are only good if you are still, and they can be a little pricey to run.

Good advice. Thermacells when sitting still. Deep woods off all other times.
If there is 100 people around me, and one skeeter, I’m getting bit.