Anybody adjust their Draw Weight on their bow for higher altitudes?

wapitibob

WKR
I remember reading that but forgot his conclusion. Thanks

I think I'm probably in that category.

I suggest you ignore that advise and carry a cosine chart.

A 50 yard shot with 20 deg down and no cut isn't going to end well if the intent is to hit the dot.

amassi

WKR
Your pins will be off, if you're good enough to tell. You can take maybe 1/4 turn out of the btm limb and probably be good. Your biggest hurdle will be dealing with the uphill/downhill/sidehill shots if you haven't had much experience with that stuff.

Make sure all your camo matches and you'll want to wear a full set, gators to the hat.
Laughed so hard tears fell in my coffee

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Probably not as important at maybe 300 fps than at 3000.
The angle (up and down hill) will be considerably more critical.

R

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suggest you ignore that advise and carry a cosine chart.

A 50 yard shot with 20 deg down and no cut isn't going to end well if the intent is to hit the dot.

Cosign has nothing to do with difference of elevation. Co-sign can only calculate the shoot to distance and if your pins or marks are off to start with cosign can not help you.

wapitibob

WKR
Cosine is for his uphill/downhill yardage cuts; for elevation he can make a multitude of adjustments to get him where he needs to be. We're just at the bottom of the field dot at 60 yards going from Bend to Eugene. Eugene to Redding marks are the same. I would not plan on my marks being the same going from Florida to Colorado. Great if they are, but I wouldn't depend on it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You think the foam targets can tell?:)
You'll figure it out once you get there. It's more of a see and be seen shoot than anything else. Nice course, but it'll take a looooong time to get through it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shaverdan

FNG
Report back and let us know how it goes. Back in the 90's I went from NNY about 300ft elevation to Snowshoe WV about 5000 for a tournament and I remember the difference being barely noticeable. This September I'll be going from 20ft at home to 9000 in September, I'm interested in your findings.

Brendan

WKR
I actually feel like humidity can have as big an effect as elevation. Sight in 70-80% humidity at sea level, and then go to 9000' elevation at really low humidity and I've seen a difference, but not a ton. Normally I've just checked my zero at different ranges and have to remember to compensate for it.

Cut charts and high angle shooting is an entirely different subject... Two different things to account for.

Okay, getting some BC for arrows from this link (Drag Coefficients of Bullets, Arrows, and Spears - Technical Archery) we find that a typical BC is about 0.0651.

Plugging this figure into a typical ballistics calculator (JBM - Calculations - Trajectory) gets us a drop of 8.0 inches at 50 yards at sea level. IF we were to keep everything the same and head to 10,000 feet, we get an arrow drop of 7.9 inches at 50 yards. A total of .1 inches at 50 yards? Really?

Note: I had to use a minimum velocity of 500 ft/s since the calculator would not go below this. So the drop might be double at .2 inches at 50 yards.

Am I missing anything here or is this much ado about nothing?

EDIT?: Corrected the arrow drop.

Last edited:
Nevada, you actually have less drop as you go up the mountain not more as you indicate. Something is definitely wrong with your calculations.

Brendan

WKR
Am I missing anything here or is this much ado about nothing?

My opinion: I think there's probably too many assumptions there for it to be of much value. Better to go with real world testing or those that have.

And, Blockcaver said it, something is at the very least reversed in the calculation, or otherwise off....

Nevada, you actually have less drop as you go up the mountain not more as you indicate. Something is definitely wrong with your calculations.

My opinion: I think there's probably too many assumptions there for it to be of much value. Better to go with real world testing or those that have.

And, Blockcaver said it, something is at the very least reversed in the calculation, or otherwise off....

Yes, the numbers have been corrected. My apologies.

So with the comment "better to go with real world testing or those that have." Really? So you can hold a bow to the nearest .1 inch of accuracy at 50 yards? Wow, that is impressive. My point is that it is likely not noticeable given the parameters/math that is straight forward. Anecdotal evidence, while appearing powerful, is not a clear indicator of the facts. Ask all those gluten free folks, they swear by their gluten free lives.