Tips for shooting at angles?

Kilboars

WKR
Another question for shooting the Total Archery Challenge. I don't shoot much at angles in S. FL so all I know is draw back straight and bend at the waist to line up target. Any other points I should ponder while trying to save arrows?

bsnedeker

WKR
Do you have an angle compensating range finder? If not be aware that shooting at angles your arrows will hit higher than the line of sight distance would indicate.

Can you practice shooting from a deck or anything like that?

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
Do you have an angle compensating range finder? If not be aware that shooting at angles your arrows will hit higher than the line of sight distance would indicate.

Can you practice shooting from a deck or anything like that?

Yes, I have the Nikon Archer which compensates for angles.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best tool I have found...

Brunton Clino Master

61c0241052ed4c29d6080adda6bd01ae.jpg

And on the back I have the cosines out to a 45 degree angle.

80ad134ed0248d75af9abc40ccbf77e5.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Angle compensating rangefinders will only get you close. Better than nothing though.
This happened to me last year on an avalanche chute I could barely stand in. Told myself to bend at waist and focus. Ranged drew and shot straight over the bucks back. WTF neither me or the buck knew what happened, so I drew back and let another fly right over his back again. A moment where I learned a valuable lesson- At extreme angles you better cut more yardage than your range finder tells you to

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Might be a good idea to shorten your d loop by an 1/8 inch. Draw length should feel a touch short on flat ground. Stand 20' away from your house and aim at the top of the roof. If your draw is too long you'll see it in your sight picture and your bow arm will start dancing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another question for shooting the Total Archery Challenge. I don't shoot much at angles in S. FL so all I know is draw back straight and bend at the waist to line up target. Any other points I should ponder while trying to save arrows?
Here's a point to ponder. If you feel like you'll break or lose an arrow, you don't have to shoot. It's only foam. Some arrow eating shots on that course for sure. You getting into SLC early enough to acclimate a bit? Hope you're pounding water already, it's gonna be a scorcher out here all week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Oh, bring chapstick. Dry air will have you wishing you did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This happened to me last year on an avalanche chute I could barely stand in. Told myself to bend at waist and focus. Ranged drew and shot straight over the bucks back. WTF neither me or the buck knew what happened, so I drew back and let another fly right over his back again. A moment where I learned a valuable lesson- At extreme angles you better cut more yardage than your range finder tells you to

What range finder were you using?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Generally the algorithm that most rangefinders use, cut to much on the uphill shots and cut to little on the downhill shots. For hunting conditions, a good rangefinder that has an angle compensating feature should get you in the vitals. But uphill and downhill shots will mess with your posture which also cause you to miss high and low. So you should get at a place that can let you practice those shots.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a Leica r1000. I mean it's got to be an equipment issue right?? Ok It's possible that my anchor changed because the shoot was almost straight down and 73 yards but I was conscious of the fact that my form was going to need to be perfect and tried to go down the check list and cross every t and dot every i before I let the second one fly since he was focused down hill where the first arrow hit. It was a confidence killer for sure either way.
What range finder were you using?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With some of those extreme angles it's impossible to draw straight and bend at the waist, unless you're a contortionist with great balance. So the only way to know for sure how you shoot in those conditions, is to shoot them. I know that I will shoot a little high on uphill shots at longer ranges so I account for that. Downhill doesn't bother me as much, but I'm not sure I've taken a downhill 70 degree shot before even for practice. Not many places to practice those.

+1 on first making sure that your 3rd axis is adjusted properly. Then use your rangefinder the best you can. Remember that you can move in on shots and you don't have to heman anything. It is hard if you shoot with a group of guys and they take the chance. My take is that if you can lose a couple on the super steep shots you can adjust for the others and have fun. Take a few more seconds to get good anchor and level your body as much as possible. There was a good video sometime ago featuring Randy Ulmer about shot angle that helped me a lot just in the basics of form. Have fun!!!

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
The Total Archery Challenge or (TAC) was a blast and will definitely go next year again. I got a prescription for the altitude so that didn't bother me but I brought the wrong boots and so my feet and knees were shot by the end of the day. If anyone saw me I was the walking backwards down the steep last mile down to the lodge because my knees just could not take the jarring of walking down straight anymore. Luckily the guys at the Chrispi booth had pity and sold me a pair of new boots at a great price. The altitude was the least of my worries on the effect on my arrows but I did leave quite a few on the mountain.

All in all great event. Thanks again all for the tips and pointers.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 19