Salmon fishing

brocksw

WKR
Anyone have any insight for good salmon fishing and charters. Not after any species in particular, I would just like to come home with about a hundred lbs of salmon meat. I presume Alaska would be the state. Something fairly cheap would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alaska Kenai sockeye trip

Be warned that this is not exactly "fishing." The sockeyes eat plankton, and are in the river to spawn. 1000s of fisherman are there to "floss" them. They very rairly bight the fly or lure. As the fish travel up the river banks, fisherman attempt to get their line in the fishes mouth, when the line stops or bumps anything you set the hook, hoping to legally get it in the mouth. It takes a bit of practice, its pretty fun, but its not traditional "fishing" thats for sure.

You know what is crazy, dont dismiss northern California. Our salmon season is going great, We are having a great king salmon season up and down the north coast. it is cheap to get here, trips are not that expensive, (about $200 a day) and you are allowed two kings salmon each day. The boats are slaying them right now so I will probably go out for a couple this weekend. Obviously Alaska offers more species and well...its Alaska... It offers more of everything. But if all you want is a meat run fishing trip California or Oregon could be pretty good. I have gotten pretty spoiled being able to fill my freezer every year with good ocean caught salmon and tuna. One of the few benefits left of living in California.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, FWIW, they are killing the Salmon just outside the gate right now...and Halibut in the SF bay too.

The Halibut aren't as good as the Alaskan ones for some reason....Salmon are excellent bright fish

Btaylor

WKR
Well there goes those good fishin spots. Dang people will be lined up like free sock day at the goodwill. Thought there was some unwritten rules about that nonsense. :rolleyes:

LOL
bfcf0d9ed63745b6368eae49fd58b292.png

Kenai zipperlip socks :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
The Great Lakes are another great place for king and silvers plus lake trout. This year has been real good and charters run about 150 a head or you can get a boat fee if over 4 people.

I live on the west side of Michigan and there many great charters which I would help network. Or you can come fish on my boat and take me hunting sometime in your neck of the woods!

Wisconsin should be a shorter trip and equally good - better there in t he summer when water is real warm here, then it flips.

No way would you would see the volume of fish here compared to Alaska but it's shorter trip. 5 fish limit per day, good captins are near there limit twice a day since early spring.

I fished with shelter cove in Craig AK the last week of July / First week in August last year. We came back with a ton of fish. King/Silver Salmon, Halibut, Ling Cod, Black Bass. Definitely a great time

Btaylor

WKR
My boat aint cut out for a pond that size. But I sure wouldnt mind another duck hunt up there in the northern part of your pic.

a fiew years ago we went to willow ak up near talkitna "im sure im spelling that wrong" but anyways we just went diy and bought like a 10 day license got a renta car and went for it. it was the first two weeks in august we fished sheep creek and montana creek i think google earth it. nothing like the crouds in the pictures and caught silvers, humpies and chums all day every day till our hands bled no experience required you cant mess it up. and ps just for a change up there are several close by lakes FULL of pike and that was a kick in the pants to say the least fish them just like largemouth and thats another one you simply cant mess up they are a pest up there. great people great area and i highly recommend it

I google imaged Kenai fishing sockeye and that was near top. But I’m pretty sure your right that the pic is not the Kenai but a trib.

The point stands that ther are no secret spots on that fishery.

NoWiser

WKR
Lake Michigan is super fun and they are getting some very big fish this year. I'm leaving Sunday for 4 days of fishing and can't wait. Last year 3 of us ended up with 116 pounds of salmon fillets in 2.5 days, and we just have a small boat and don't hardly know what we are doing. But, the quality of the salmon is nowhere near the ocean caught fish I've eaten. It's more of a mushy-pink than the firm orange/red. I'd have traded all of my fillets from that trip for just a couple Alaska coho fillets. Good luck if you go. It's a bucket-list trip for me.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I head up to Tofino, B.C. (backside of Vancouver Island) every year to fill my freezer with a few family members.........for the past 5 years, two - three of us have always brought back full limits of Salmon (80% Kings) and Lingcod (my favorite fish in the sea to eat), plus some Halibut and other rock fish....easily over 100lbs each. The Spring Kings are very thick.....nothing huge, but lots of fish in the low 20s, and the LingCod fishing is also superb. I go again on July 27 - 31....so a few more weeks away.

Ray

WKR
I don't think that is the Kenai. Maybe the Russian, which is a tributary of the Kenai. But no where on the Kenai is the river that narrow.

It is an older photo of the confluence of the Kenai and the Russian rivers. The mouth of the Russian is just to the right in the image where the people are standing well out into the water. The mouth of the Russian enters the Kenai where there is a channel around an island. Now days this is regulated as the "sanctuary" area of the confluence.