Lost Pistol?....

If you lost a pistol in the Goat Rocks I have it. You must be able to identify.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
good on you bud.

i dont even know where the goat-rocks are!!

(enjoy your new handgun bud..i hope it is a nice one :))

OP
G
no rust on this one. it was a fresh shed..

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I found a S&W 629 on a trail in Alaska a few decades ago. Called the state troopers, they ran the serial number, told me to hang onto it for a year, if it wasn't reported lost or stolen, then it would be mine. I would make sure you get law enforcement in on it so you don't get twisted up with a "stolen" pistol.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Good to see things like this. Last year I found a brand new KelTech SU-16 as I drove by a popular shooting area. I called the sherrifs department. Someone called in a lost gun just like it and we matched up.

mproberts

WKR
I found a S&W 629 on a trail in Alaska a few decades ago. Called the state troopers, they ran the serial number, told me to hang onto it for a year, if it wasn't reported lost or stolen, then it would be mine. I would make sure you get law enforcement in on it so you don't get twisted up with a "stolen" pistol.

That might be the way they did things a few decades ago, but I would be surprised if they allowed you to maintain custody of the weapon today. I would be willing to say most departments now would take the gun from you if you reported it as found and then if it wasn't claimed in the required timeframe they would destroy it. That seems to be the way things have gone, not sure if that has been dictated by changes in gun laws or just department policies.

sndmn11

WKR
That might be the way they did things a few decades ago, but I would be surprised if they allowed you to maintain custody of the weapon today. I would be willing to say most departments now would take the gun from you if you reported it as found and then if it wasn't claimed in the required timeframe they would destroy it. That seems to be the way things have gone, not sure if that has been dictated by changes in gun laws or just department policies.

100% certain that a policy like that would be illegal to FORCE one to relinquish found property....of any kind that is legal to possess.

mproberts

WKR
100% certain that a policy like that would be illegal to FORCE one to relinquish found property....of any kind that is legal to possess.

I would look into your specific state laws, but most states have statues in place that require found property be turned over... some will allow the finder to claim it after a set period, but many with dispose of it themselves through destruction or auction. Just look into it, it's legal.

mproberts

WKR
Here's an example from a state with probably the strongest pro-gun ownership laws. [video=youtube;qs9uqGPco8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9uqGPco8w[/video]

sndmn11

WKR
Here's an example from a state with probably the strongest pro-gun ownership laws. [video=youtube;qs9uqGPco8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9uqGPco8w[/video]

"I don't know how that works", is a key part in your video from the Law Enforcement Officer towards the end....The young man was voluntarily turning the firearm over. If he had said he wanted to keep it, he absolutely could have and there is nothing that could have legally been done provided he could legally possess it. The firearm is exactly like the money, bag, knife, etc., that he found in that it is is simply abandoned property.

With a several years in past law enforcement, adverse possession (the laws you requested I "look into") are very familiar and found property doesn't take J.D. to figure out.

Fatcamp

WKR
Found a shotgun in a parking lot a couple years ago. Wife had to insist the sherrifs office take it. They said 90 days and you can come get it. Day 87 dumbass called looking for his gun. Too bad, it was pretty nice.

RAPTOR

WKR
theft of property lost, mislaid, or delivered by mistake. Lots of states have these laws. I'd check.

NCIC, National Crime Information Center has a gun file,guns that go in this file are; Felony Guns, Stolen Guns, Seized /recovered guns and LOST GUNS. Guns reported as lost are mandated to be entered into that file, the retention time is indefinite. There are many cases of guns taken in burglaries or used in crimes that are discarded and at the time of inquiry are not in NCIC as stolen but later are determined to be evidence hence the mandate. If they are in police custody when they are determined to be "evidence" of some sort then they are available for ballistics etc, if the finder keeps it and give it to his cousin, well you can see where that leads. I have no problem believing law enforcement might tell you it's not stolen so you can keep it but that's not what i would consider a "good practice". I would insist they take it, that guy who said it's OK might be the agency half wit or retired/ dead when someone stops you and runs the serial number sometime down the road. Just my .02 cents, maybe all its worth.

KSP277

WKR
NCIC, National Crime Information Center has a gun file,guns that go in this file are; Felony Guns, Stolen Guns, Seized /recovered guns and LOST GUNS. Guns reported as lost are mandated to be entered into that file, the retention time is indefinite. There are many cases of guns taken in burglaries or used in crimes that are discarded and at the time of inquiry are not in NCIC as stolen but later are determined to be evidence hence the mandate. If they are in police custody when they are determined to be "evidence" of some sort then they are available for ballistics etc, if the finder keeps it and give it to his cousin, well you can see where that leads. I have no problem believing law enforcement might tell you it's not stolen so you can keep it but that's not what i would consider a "good practice". I would insist they take it, that guy who said it's OK might be the agency half wit or retired/ dead when someone stops you and runs the serial number sometime down the road. Just my .02 cents, maybe all its worth.

First correct statement pertaining to the legal aspect of it. Any “time frame” an agency determines “sufficient amount of time to hold it” is directly corospondent to whatever agency your dealing with, has nothing to do with state to state. Different agencies in a single county may have totally different policies. it’s a policy, not the law. Due dillegence is the key. If you find a gun and 20 years from now it’s reported stolen, well guess what, it’s gonna pop off in NCIC. Which brings up a good point. MAKE A COPY OF YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS!!!!

Best case scenario, write down your serial numbers and take a pic of the gun. Stop it away somewhere safe. It would blow your mind how many gun owners have no record of their serial numbers. Law enforcement run accross guns everyday that they know damn well are stolen but when you run the numbers through NCIC, they come back clean. All because the poor guy that had it stolen didn’t have the serial number recorded and all he can say is it’s a black 9mm or my great grand daddy’s 30/30. Write em down! Takes 5 min of your time and can pay off huge if they happen to walk off!