Think I might have set a record for failed tag attempts in Wy.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I applied 4 times for tags and was unsuccessful on all 4. One I knew was a long-shot but I failed at a doe/fawn antelope also. Perhaps I am purging bad luck all at once here.

Hope you guys got the tags you wanted. Looks like I'll go fishing and perhaps hunt some birds or other small game and deer/elk scout for the future.

I live in Jackson hole and this is the first year I’ve never drawn anything but a doe fawn tag in the 16 years I’ve been hunting..
A lot of people got screwed this year so you’re not the only one.
I think it was just a rough year all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
There’s still leftover tags in Wyoming. Look through the list and buy one.

That is where I failed on 2 tags-drawing was today. Any leftover (after the initial leftover draw) are sold first come in Wy.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in Jackson hole and this is the first year I’ve never drawn anything but a doe fawn tag in the 16 years I’ve been hunting..
A lot of people got screwed this year so you’re not the only one.
I think it was just a rough year all around.

I think you might be right. Given the tag fee increase there are likely some folks that cashed in their points and got tags where they had been waiting causing some abnormal draw odds . Perhaps next year will return to normal-whatever normal is anymore.

Fitzwho

WKR
Yeah. That’s what I’m saying too. You can get online and buy a leftover tag (left after the second draw). The currently viewable leftover list is what is remaining after the Leftover Drawing.

I believe the remaining tags go on sale on Monday. Something to do at least. Even if it wasn’t a unit you were originally thinking.

There’s 1400 leftover Coues tags in AZ.

LostArra

WKR
This was the first year in many I didn’t at least draw a non-res cow tag during first draw.

I was fortunate in leftover draw but the odds have changed dramatically for those tags. Some that used to be guaranteed just two years ago are now 20%

wyosteve

WKR
Just read a note from Wyo. G&F that said there were 80,000 plus folks who applied and didn't draw a tag this year (this is total for all species) I was shocked!!

Just read a note from Wyo. G&F that said there were 80,000 plus folks who applied and didn't draw a tag this year (this is total for all species) I was shocked!!
Is that non resident I wonder? Or did our state gain that man residents haha?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
I saw an email from game and fish this morning saying that applications were up about 6 percent across the board this year. I lucked out and drew a leftover deer tag for November.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like I might have found a way to get a cow elk tag. It is hard to grasp the many sources that tell us hunter numbers are declining when we see these kind of numbers. This year might be an anomaly. So much for the higher costs of tags discouraging folks from applying.

Anyone on here live in Gillette and know what the antelope scene is like down there? I didn’t pull my tag near Jackson but willing to drive 7 hours for a nice buck of the population isn’t dead

What unit?

Something like half the worlds population of antelope live within 100 miles of Gillette. (Bs statistic I know)

Most of its private land and what public exists gets shot out quick.

Plenty of private that you can access if you knock on doors over the course of a weekend.