Nevada new game camera ban.

Elite7

FNG
I’m glad to see it happen. I hope to see this happen in many other states as well.

Citation for this claim?

99% of hunters I run into in the field don't even have those books, so that argument is quite the red herring.

I’m not going to go through years of NDOW emails to find it, but I’m sure it was one of the Nevada wild shows they did several years ago where they explained how the book cost $50 and they provided onX the data and that saved them $25 for printing costs per book so they kept their net revenue the same.

I know 3 people that have the actual book, I also know several people that copied specific pages from it and have ran into people that had guzzler locations marked on gps.
Pot farmers have found the info useful as well. And on more than 1 occasion I’ve ran into undercover NDI in the field.

Please don’t confuse my comments as being against the trail cam regulations. I’m ok with them in the long run. But I think the statement is a lie and I don’t remember hearing about one of these many open forum meetings they had prior to the decision.

I work nights, and I go to these events, and I’m usually disappointed at the turnout. 17 people were at the nugget last week to discuss the sage grouse plan. And I’m pretty sure at least 10 were feral horse supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
I'm for it, although not a resident I do hunt Nevada every couple years and have seen some of this water guzzler nonsense
For what it's worth, In California we use trail cameras to figure out when "they" have found your back country hidey hole.
Once someone steals your game cams, time to find a new area haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
As a late camera adopter, I just started using them last year, Im happy to see this. Honestly if Montana did something similar Id walk away from them with out a second thought.

I certainly had a internal struggle to make the decision to start using them in the first place.

I'm a little bias on this being it was that "line in the sand" I chose not to cross.
I hope this becomes more wide sweeping. At least with public lands.

As a late camera adopter, I just started using them last year, Im happy to see this. Honestly if Montana did something similar Id walk away from them with out a second thought.

I certainly had a internal struggle to make the decision to start using them in the first place.

Montana does have regulations on game cams

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought Montana already banned game camera use while hunting seasons are open. Must have changed it in last couple years

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I thought Montana already banned game camera use while hunting seasons are open. Must have changed it in last couple years

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just changed either late last year or early this year I believe. They are now allowed to be used year round.

mtnkid85

WKR
It was altered for 2017. Opening them up for year around use but specifying that you can't use cameras that transmit photos during an open season.

As a Las Vegas resident and hunter I'm totally opposed to this. To those who say "boots on the ground or nothing", I live 350 - 550 miles away from the units that I hunt, thats 700-1100 mile round trip and the cost of gas alone makes it unaffordable to take many scouting trips. I put in for the same area/units every year and the past 5 hunts I have drawn 5 different ones. I wish I could hunt the same one every year but the Nevada lottery system makes that impossible. I rely on cameras to assist me in finding a good starting point and once set, they are non-intrusive and don't disturb anything or anyone. If water holes are the problem, then ban them from there not public lands entirely. Second, This is a huge government overreach. I hear words like "fair chase" and "not sporting" being tossed around by fellow hunters in support of the ban. I know lots of hunters that feel shooting an animal at 1160 yards with the latest, greatest, 6.5 caliber, isn't fair chase or sporting. Would you like to see that banned? Also, is tearing up the landscape on your 4 wheelers sporting? lets ban those. The truth is we all have different definitions of fair chase and we as hunters should respect other hunters needs, even if you don't agree. Lets stop being our own worst enemies.

Bulldawg

WKR
There's a lot that goes into this, but I think that the number 1 reason that folks are glad that all this is banned is because of the stigma that cameras have gotten because they are being abused in my opinion. When you hear about water holes that have 20-30 cameras set up by that many different guys and outfitters you can't tell me that isn't intrusive.

IMO the big thing that people don't really think about, this law applies to everyone, so you aren't being singled out, nobody will be allowed to have them up, so all that is gonna happen is people are going to have to go back to hunting the way they were 10-20 years ago before cameras were popular. In reality, it puts everyone on a more level playing field, being able to shoot far is because that person practiced a lot to be good, being able to call elk really good is because they practiced at it. but getting a lot of pictures of animals just means you spent a lot of money on cameras and were able to go out and put the work in for one day, then go and check that camera another day, so not a ton of work put into that.

As a Las Vegas resident and hunter I'm totally opposed to this. To those who say "boots on the ground or nothing", I live 350 - 550 miles away from the units that I hunt, thats 700-1100 mile round trip and the cost of gas alone makes it unaffordable to take many scouting trips. I put in for the same area/units every year and the past 5 hunts I have drawn 5 different ones. I wish I could hunt the same one every year but the Nevada lottery system makes that impossible. I rely on cameras to assist me in finding a good starting point and once set, they are non-intrusive and don't disturb anything or anyone. If water holes are the problem, then ban them from there not public lands entirely. Second, This is a huge government overreach. I hear words like "fair chase" and "not sporting" being tossed around by fellow hunters in support of the ban. I know lots of hunters that feel shooting an animal at 1160 yards with the latest, greatest, 6.5 caliber, isn't fair chase or sporting. Would you like to see that banned? Also, is tearing up the landscape on your 4 wheelers sporting? lets ban those. The truth is we all have different definitions of fair chase and we as hunters should respect other hunters needs, even if you don't agree. Lets stop being our own worst enemies.

Gr8bawana

WKR

That is a great idea. I for one would be ecstatic if atv's were banned because they are tearing up the country by those who ignore the rules. Most likely the ones who think rules about where you can ride an atv is a "huge government overreach".

When you hear about water holes that have 20-30 cameras set up by that many different guys and outfitters you can't tell me that isn't intrusive.

Those same 20-30 guys will now be forced to stop by those water holes to check for tracks, several times a day. Is that less intrusive? I don't think so. Also, I have friends that bowhunt which starts in August here. Is it fair to them that muzzle loader and general season hunters will now be forced to spend more time in the field scouting while they're trying to hunt? Once again, I dont' think so. Cameras, as unsightly or as unsporting as they might be to some, means less congestion in the field while others are trying to hunt.
Tom

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
When you hear about water holes that have 20-30 cameras set up by that many different guys and outfitters you can't tell me that isn't intrusive.[/QUOTE=Bulldawg;974373]

Those same 20-30 guys will now be forced to stop by those water holes to check for tracks, several times a day. Is that less intrusive? I don't think so. Also, I have friends that bowhunt which starts in August here. Is it fair to them that muzzle loader and general season hunters will now be forced to spend more time in the field scouting while they're trying to hunt? Once again, I dont' think so. Cameras, as unsightly or as unsporting as they might be to some, means less congestion in the field while others are trying to hunt.
Tom

But the core of the problem seems to be the dipshit douchebags selling locations of animals their cams took pics of. And let’s not forget the dipshits actually buying these coordinates.

I’m not sure the assumption that there will be more foot traffic is true. I suspect hunters will invariably focus in their scouting resources more since they won’t have cams out doing the work for them at multiple locations. It’s not like people suddenly have more spare time, they are just going to largely settle for more less-trailcam-informed hunting than in the past.

ckleeves

WKR
Tom

I really don’t think many guys are going to hike in and look for tracks. Quite a few of these people/outfitters are looking for a specific animal or size class. So unless you can score an animal from it’s tracks your not really learning anything. Not only that but who has time to check water holes every day looking at tracks.

The congestion thing may be a legitimate concern but most guys don’t really scout like they hunt so I don’t really see bumping into that many guys in the field while hunting.

I think you all have missed the point. The trail cam ban is so the government can keep people from getting pictures of the Big Foot (Big Feet?) that have been recently released in NV to help re-populate the indigenous population.

-dan

Gr8bawana

WKR
Tom

Those 20-30 guys will not be checking those waterholes. There might be a few who actually put in the time to do some scouting. I suspect the majority will not have the time or most likely the ambition to do the work. If they can't do it the easy way, they aren't going to do it.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I love hunting with cameras. I have put them up in multiple states for years . Do I have any plans for hunting those areas with anything other than a camera ? Nope ! That is my version of catch and release hunting. I don't set them on water because I would rather not get any stolen. I hang them high enough you are not going to see them. I am like everyone else that thinks its ridiculous to see 30 cameras on one water source.