Nevada new game camera ban.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else see the email tonight about Nevada ban on cameras from 1 August to 31 Dec? Also if your camera can transmit images it's banned from use starting 1 July. Technology is always a slippery slope. What's everyone's thoughts on this new regulation?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the summary they sent me.
20e11f772a9852e636e7bc73dd452e82.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been following this for awhile. If the people of NV felt it was a big enough issue to put a season on them, then I’m good with it.

Many things aren’t a problem until everyone starts doing it and sounds like this was the perception.

Talking to a very high profile guide down there last week, he was ok with it too. Just have to adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Never been a fan of game cameras, the obsession with them and the misapplication of them. When I lived in TN, I hunted some places that had game cams behind every tree. I’d have to believe that all of that intrusion has a negative effect on hunting. The “TV style” of using live streaming game cams to determine where to hunt that day is just asinine. Sure, cams can tell you what’s out there in the woods, but people just get too obsessed with them as the principal factor in hunting and while I would never ever steal someone’s camera, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if someone stole an IPhone I left strapped to a tree and I darn sure wouldn’t be crying like a little bitch on social media about it.

I don’t concern myself too much about the methodology other’s use so I’m not going to go so far as to say I “support” this move across the board, but I certainly have no problem with it either.

AT Hiker

FNG
Many public land users use cameras, like Eastern hunters use tree stands, to stake claim to a spot. Controversy sometimes arises, this will help with that.

I read this for the first time when my big game booklet arrived... I don’t recall being given the chance to speak for or against this... it really does seem to me like overreach by a localish govt...

In other news... anyone want a screaming seal on 10 stealthcam cameras?

5f66e7fb0bcf692159e5e947679afe55.jpg

I call bullshit.
If this was true, they wouldn’t sell you a map to all of them for $50

I have no issues with the new regulation. But I take that this is a state department of wildlife regulation, i.e., hunting regulation. So if a non-hunter uses one or more, does the regulation apply? I mean, isn't it a hunting reg and therefore only applies to hunters? If so, I see some enforcement issues.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Did you read the entire notice? That's exactly why they're getting banned. Guys are running cams, finding animals, then selling their location. I have no problem with it. I remember when people hunted the real way, not pulled cams 19 times before season and named animals. Heck, I know guys in Utah (surprise surprise) that are running cams for cash. It's stupid. I like knowing there's animals in the area, but I like glassing them up, and finding new ones in real time. I'm glad Nevada did it, sounds like animals are getting stressed from all the traffic.
5f66e7fb0bcf692159e5e947679afe55.jpg

I call bullshit.
If this was true, they wouldn’t sell you a map to all of them for $50

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Did you read the entire notice? That's exactly why they're getting banned. Guys are running cams, finding animals, then selling their location. I have no problem with it. I remember when people hunted the real way, not pulled cams 19 times before season and named animals. Heck, I know guys in Utah (surprise surprise) that are running cams for cash. It's stupid. I like knowing there's animals in the area, but I like glassing them up, and finding new ones in real time. I'm glad Nevada did it, sounds like animals are getting stressed from all the traffic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I kinda see his point too though. Most of the underlined portion could easily be applied to scoped rifles.

100% in favor of it. Especially in the desert country. It's depressing to drive up to a spring in the middle of nowhere and have it surrounded by t posts with cameras on them. Time to get back to hunting and not just killing stuff.

jmcd22

WKR
I agree with their ruling...at what point does it no longer become fair chase? I can see some of the issues being unique to a state like Nevada (water issues), but I wouldn't be surprised to see other states follow their path and I hope they do. Cam use before hunting seasons open in August is one thing, but to have them active during a season? Doesn't seem right....and don't even get me started on the sale of an animals location...that is a joke.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Happy to see this got passed. Now it will be necessary to actually put boots on the ground in areas that might hold the kind of animal you are looking for. In today's instant gratification world where only the biggest trophy will do, so many guys take the easiest route to finding a big buck. They either don't have the time to invest in scouting out an area or simply don't want to because there is an easier way for them to get it done fast.
If you don't have the time, tough ****. You'll just have to be happy with whatever buck you can find during your hunt.
People targeting and taking specific big trophy animals I believe is reducing the number such animals.

In regards to itsTrytruion contention that the same info comes from water development maps, preposterous. The maps show you where animals may be watering . Not how many or what size antlers or horns they are sporting. So you'll have to go there and find out yourself.

It's gotten to the point that you can't even take a dump in the hills anymore without fear of being on someones camera. :mad:

With my limited experience, I have to ask, are game cameras really that helpful? I mean, I can find the water and can track the animals with ground sign. So why would I use a game camera?

When I got this notice, I just chuckled, because in my mind it makes no difference to my style of hunting. I want to get out there and enjoy the outdoors. Hunting is a bonus, why ruin it??

weaver

WKR
With my limited experience, I have to ask, are game cameras really that helpful? I mean, I can find the water and can track the animals with ground sign. So why would I use a game camera?

When I got this notice, I just chuckled, because in my mind it makes no difference to my style of hunting. I want to get out there and enjoy the outdoors. Hunting is a bonus, why ruin it??
Imo there are very few hunters that truly gain a big advantage by using trail cameras.
I'm sure there are some guiding outfits and diy guys that gain a big advantage but the idea that anyone can just set up a trail camera then go kill an animal there is absurd imo.
With that said, I don't have a problem with the new rule.

CorbLand

WKR

Its not so much that it will help you directly kill the animal but you can track its movements. So now elusive animals cant really get away from detection. I personally have 3 trail cams. I can now "scout" three different areas all at the same time.

Just because you have cameras out doesnt mean your going to kill something, you still have to know how to hunt. But its much easier to kill big deer if you know where they are at and you are able to do that while typing a response to this thread.