Nevada new game camera ban.

Owenst7

WKR
As a Las Vegas resident and hunter I'm totally opposed to this. To those who say "boots on the ground or nothing", I live 350 - 550 miles away from the units that I hunt, thats 700-1100 mile round trip and the cost of gas alone makes it unaffordable to take many scouting trips. I put in for the same area/units every year and the past 5 hunts I have drawn 5 different ones. I wish I could hunt the same one every year but the Nevada lottery system makes that impossible. I rely on cameras to assist me in finding a good starting point and once set, they are non-intrusive and don't disturb anything or anyone. If water holes are the problem, then ban them from there not public lands entirely. Second, This is a huge government overreach. I hear words like "fair chase" and "not sporting" being tossed around by fellow hunters in support of the ban. I know lots of hunters that feel shooting an animal at 1160 yards with the latest, greatest, 6.5 caliber, isn't fair chase or sporting. Would you like to see that banned? Also, is tearing up the landscape on your 4 wheelers sporting? lets ban those. The truth is we all have different definitions of fair chase and we as hunters should respect other hunters needs, even if you don't agree. Lets stop being our own worst enemies.

I hunt an area 400 miles from Reno. Drawn four tags there in the last two years, all on 0 points. Did three scouting trips last year. I drive a 22 year old truck (v8) with 270k miles if that tells you anything about gas money and my finances.

Nevada is renowned as one of the fairest systems in the US. It's a huge part of why I moved here from Alaska. How does making NDOW a whipping boy every time you don't get what you want play in with the idea that hunters should work together?

Last edited:

mproberts

WKR
I think his point was that "hunters should respect other hunters needs".. he said the cost of making numerous scouting trips is untenable to him, that is his need. It's great others are able to make it work, he's just saying he can't. I tend to agree that hunters should respect other hunters needs or hunting choices as long as it isn't detrimental to the larger hunting community (ie. hunting's public image), and I honestly am having a hard time seeing how trail cams are really something that is a threat to the larger hunting community. I choose to hunt the way I choose to hunt, but I wouldn't force someone else to hunt my way if they wanted to hunt another way. NDOW likely passed this law after receiving input from other hunters who were supportive of it, so I'm not sure he was making the NDOW a whipping boy for all this.

I have read of some outfitters having 800+ cams. To say a water hole will get more traffic now without cams is wrong. People only have so much time. Its a lot faster for me to swing in, swap out cards, and hit the next water hole then sit there for 3 hours glassing to see whats coming in. Also cams scout 24/7. Hunters are lucky to be able to scout 12 hours a week. Lets say a hunter can scout one full day a week. How many water holes can he legitimately scout in a 12 hour period? 3? How many water holes can that same hunter scout with 5 game cams? But with 5 cams he is getting data 24/7 compared to getting data for 4 hours out of every 168 hours.

There is no doubt that cams are a huge advantage since they record data 24/7.

Maybe a compromise would be one cam for every tag a hunter has in that unit. It would cut down on cams, and most people that have a tag aren't going to sell the location of a big animal to someone else.

I hunt an area 400 miles from Reno. Drawn four tags there in the last two years, all on 0 points. Did three scouting trips last year. I drive a 22 year old truck (v8) with 270k miles if that tells you anything about gas money and my finances.

Nevada is renowned as one of the fairest systems in the US. It's a huge part of why I moved here from Alaska. How does making NDOW a whipping boy every time you don't get what you want play in with the idea that hunters should work together?

I'm not making NDOW a whipping boy. I'm actually grateful that I have been able to draw 5 tags in 5 years. I simply said that the lottery system makes it difficult to draw the same area year after year. As far as you being able to make the scouting trips, good on you. I wish I had the money and time to do it. My point about hunters being their own worst enemy is that NDOW banned the cameras because hunters complained about them, not because NDOW wanted them banned. Once again, I hear hunters bitching about all of the trails cut with 4 wheelers, long range hunters wounding animals, only for them to die untagged. I have no need for either one but I don't cry for them to be banned. That is what I mean by working together and
respecting other hunters needs.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm not making NDOW a whipping boy. I'm actually grateful that I have been able to draw 5 tags in 5 years. I simply said that the lottery system makes it difficult to draw the same area year after year. As far as you being able to make the scouting trips, good on you. I wish I had the money and time to do it. My point about hunters being their own worst enemy is that NDOW banned the cameras because hunters complained about them, not because NDOW wanted them banned. Once again, I hear hunters bitching about all of the trails cut with 4 wheelers, long range hunters wounding animals, only for them to die untagged. I have no need for either one but I don't cry for them to be banned. That is what I mean by working together and
respecting other hunters needs.

To be fair, you don't "need" the use of game cameras, you "want" the use of them. I think you should recognize the difference. I'm hoping all western states follow suit on public lands.

lks2

FNG
As a Las Vegas resident and hunter I'm totally opposed to this. To those who say "boots on the ground or nothing", I live 350 - 550 miles away from the units that I hunt, thats 700-1100 mile round trip and the cost of gas alone makes it unaffordable to take many scouting trips. I put in for the same area/units every year and the past 5 hunts I have drawn 5 different ones. I wish I could hunt the same one every year but the Nevada lottery system makes that impossible. I rely on cameras to assist me in finding a good starting point and once set, they are non-intrusive and don't disturb anything or anyone. If water holes are the problem, then ban them from there not public lands entirely. Second, This is a huge government overreach. I hear words like "fair chase" and "not sporting" being tossed around by fellow hunters in support of the ban. I know lots of hunters that feel shooting an animal at 1160 yards with the latest, greatest, 6.5 caliber, isn't fair chase or sporting. Would you like to see that banned? Also, is tearing up the landscape on your 4 wheelers sporting? lets ban those. The truth is we all have different definitions of fair chase and we as hunters should respect other hunters needs, even if you don't agree. Lets stop being our own worst enemies.

As a Las Vegas resident and hunter I support the regulation, However I feel it could have been written better. You say the cameras are non-intrusive? How do they get there? How are they checked? Those aren't intrusive activities? There are water sources with 50 cameras on them. There are outfitters running hundreds of cameras that get checked weekly before the season. Sounds pretty intrusive to me. As for government overreach, that's debatable. Is them setting regulations on drones, muzzloader optics, draw weights for bows overreach? Ndow's purpose is the manage our state for wildlife, not for you. Not trying to start a pissing match just providing food for thought.