2018 cooler showdown!

I appreciate the effort put into this test, as well as the knowledge gained. It's nice (for me) to know I own one of the brands which is still holding ice, as mine has satisfied me for years with its performance. The cream definitely rises to the top.

Trial153

WKR
Great test. Several I think cut the mustard very very well. So much for the Coleman Extreme groupie fan club. I been hearing for years on the Internet guys claiming they hold ice just as well as higher end roto molded versions. I see my doubts were well placed.

I'm tending to think that longer/wider coolers (with more lid area) fare a bit worse than coolers which have a smaller footprint and are more cube shaped. Internal performance may well be affected by shape. No proof.

Trial153

WKR
I'm tending to think that longer/wider coolers (with more lid area) fare a bit worse than coolers which have a smaller footprint and are more cube shaped. Internal performance may well be affected by shape. No proof.

I have a yeti 105 and 110, and often felt the same way. However I feel that foot print of the longer verse the deeper cooler lends its self to more useable space in the same size cooler. If that makes sense. Especially in regards to transporting meat that isn’t processed already.

I have a yeti 105 and 110, and often felt the same way. However I feel that foot print of the longer verse the deeper cooler lends its self to more useable space in the same size cooler. If that makes sense. Especially in regards to transporting meat that isn’t processed already.

I agree with the usability factor. Rectangular shapes are easier to work within for placing groceries, fish, raw meat, etc. When I think about it: A perfect square has the smallest amount of surface area for its given cubic space. As the shape gets elongated or flattened (staying within the same cubic space) exposed surface areas increase in size. In the case of a cooler this would require the ice inside to contend with more surface area exposed to outside temps. I'm no scientist but I'll guess the most efficient cooler shape (for holding ice the longest) would be a perfect square...not that I'd ever own one. It could have a bearing on the simple test of how long a cooler holds ice though.

Good job Travis.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
I'm no scientist but I'll guess the most efficient cooler shape (for holding ice the longest) would be a perfect square...not that I'd ever own one. It could have a bearing on the simple test of how long a cooler holds ice though.

Maybe even a sphere, but that would make for a funky cooler.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Thanks Travis for putting this together.

My Igloo bit the dust last year so it was time to look for an upgrade. Narrowed my search to three brands (all of which competed at high levels in your test) Orion, Yetti, and Canyon. Goal was to find the greatest value, which I defined as the most cubic inches per dollar spent.

Some considerations:
1. Find a cooler system that had the volume to hold a boned out Bull elk.
2. Confidence that I can keep meat cool for multiple days. Need to compensate for difficult solo pack-outs and the drive back.
3. Flexibility...I really don't want just one large cooler. It would be nice to use a series of coolers that can be utilized for different purposes....i.e. Smaller game, general camping, fishing, etc.
4. Don't want to break the bank.

Took the internal dimensions that each brand publishes on website (Note: Orion and Yetti's internal length tapers from top to bottom. I overestimated the volume by using the maximum measurement, at the top.)

Felt that I need anywhere from 9000-12000 cubic inches.....

View attachment 75686

In summary, the Canyon Cooler offered me the best value with two 125's. The highest volume at the lowest cost. Given these test results I am confident that I am in the "ball park" for efficiency as well. I added the Orion 35 for good measure....Local distributor had a sale for discontinued colors year and just couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:

BCsteve

WKR
Nice test. It would have been nice to see how the lower price Walmart Ozark and the Lifetime would have compared.

Forest

WKR
great review, not surprised by the winner. One to consider for future testing would be permafrost coolers. Thanks!

Did I miss the spreadsheet Travis? I bought a Canyon 70 in June after reading your two previous years tests. Just felt like it offered the most performance at a much lower price point than yeti or Orion. If I had the extra money I would have gone with Orion.

Trial153

WKR
I am on the fence. I have a 105, 110 an 45 yeti. I am thinking of selling the 105 and adding a 160. I like the Orion 85 but not really sure where it fits in. If they made a 125 -150 ish model it would be a no brainer for me pick up. I would really like to get it down to one big cooler for a boned out elk and then an 85 ish size for food and drinks. I am not sure the 160 will be big enough

Great test. Several I think cut the mustard very very well. So much for the Coleman Extreme groupie fan club. I been hearing for years on the Internet guys claiming they hold ice just as well as higher end roto molded versions. I see my doubts were well placed.

Not taking anything away from the OP but, that example of the coleman extreme is not a cooler. It is a beach chest with wheels. I'm not sure what he expected to get out of it. The lids do not fit well, the lids are not insulated like the rectangular cooler etc. I have zero dog in the hunt as I've borrowed enough of the top dollar models to know where I'm spending my money. Coleman makes it and sells it so, he bought an "extreme" cooler. He just bought a joke of the example

If he had truly picked a 5 day extreme cooler and, it was new, it would have held ice very well. Put a year in the sun on it and forget about it. I mean no disrespect OP when I say that and, appreciate the test.