Google earth feature worth sharing

Dwnorton1

FNG
Open google earth pro go to ruler/ path/ show elevation profile (little checkbox in bottom left corner). You can pick path that looks good then move cursor up it and will show side profile of actual steepness at various points along chosen path.

I use this to try and see if my planned route is actually doable. It allows you to see where steep spots that could be avoided in advance of standing in front of obstacle going damn I cannot go up that. Tells you actual angle along any part of section. Pretty cool tool. Hope it helps.

View shed is pretty sweet too. Pick a potential glassin tit and it’ll shade light green what’s visible from that point.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Coop tip thanks.

One thing I've been looking for, and let me know if this is possible, is to isolate elevations, Eg. >8000 ft which would make everything below that elevation go blank so you can zero in on habitat, etc. Or vice versa, or give a range, so it isolates that elevation band.

Not sure if other paid for programs do this or not.

reelnmn

FNG
Not sure how accurate it is though. Marked a path to one of my trail cams that has a real nasty climb if I take a direct line in. Google didn't depict it like real life. It shows one long drawn out incline. When it's actually two very steep inclines with a bench in between.

@Kootenay Hunter. Shoot me a PM. I may have what you need.

rvanbw00

FNG
One thing worth noting when using the path elevation profile, is that its best to draw your line (path) first, THEN check the box to 'show elevation profile'. If you have that box checked while drawing your path, the program starts to change perspective and move away from your current view. It can be frustrating trying to follow a trail or outline around obstructions while the screen is moving.

Fryers

FNG
One thing worth noting when using the path elevation profile, is that its best to draw your line (path) first, THEN check the box to 'show elevation profile'. If you have that box checked while drawing your path, the program starts to change perspective and move away from your current view. It can be frustrating trying to follow a trail or outline around obstructions while the screen is moving.

I do the same.

Last edited:
I prefer to be surprised by how bad the terrain sucks in my hunting areas...Thanks for the tip. Pretty cool feature.