What's in your emergency first aid kit

KSP277

WKR
As a side note, that A and D ointment is freaking amazing for burns. Cant count the number of burns ive put that on. Absolutely amazing stuff and the old tube ive been using forever doesnt even list burns as one of its uses.

A&D is like fine wine, find a old crusty tube that was at your parebts house back in the 80s and it’ll cure anything but a hole in the sky or a broken heart.

KSP277

WKR
Speaking of tourniquets though, do any of y'all run the RATS tourniquet?

There’s so many now I don’t know all the acronyms. Pretty sure what I have is the CAT1, I like it bc as long as you still have working teeth and 2 good fingers you can self apply

Same for me any where I hunt. Gauze, clotting powder, medical tape, sutures tweezers, small scissors, ibuprofen, and benadryl. Anything more then that is just a mental feel good. Cause of that won't fix me until I can get real help, I'm going to die anyway

Savage99

WKR
What width leukotape are y’all carrying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
You all really have me thinking of adding some things to my kit. Tweezers, benadryl, leukotape, and I thought I was going in heavy.

Watched a few videos of people pulling zip locks from there pack and it seemed like they didn't carry anything. I Carry a small save a dive kit while scuba diving and I was thinking of this kit the same way. Something to save a hunt.

Thanks everyone

A&D is like fine wine, find a old crusty tube that was at your parebts house back in the 80s and it’ll cure anything but a hole in the sky or a broken heart.
Best reply in a long while! You win the internet for the day!
Laughed my ass off!!

ColeyG

WKR
The RAT tq’s are a great product and definitely have a loyal following in the combat EMS world. I like the Swat-T quite a bit as well because it can serve several functions. The standard CAT design is actually one of the least functional in a number of ways. Not all that easy to put on and the webbing/strap gets quite small under pressure. They are super painful to wear and can do additional tissue damage if left in place for a while. Look for models with wider strap material or consider padding underneath the CAT for better results.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all listen to ColeyG, I cary a modified IFAK that is tailored to the hunt and location. My hunting partners and myself are all FD and medics, between us there is about 100 years of heavy field experience. You can have all the supplies in the world, but they won't do you any good if you don't know how to use them. I'm not talking about just reading the directions the week before the trip, but actual hands on practice. Be intamately familiar with your gear and how to use it and also improvise it. Packing a bullet hole or stabilizing an open fracture on your buddy will tax anyone's nerves. My point is, carry what you know you can use and what you are trained to do. Recognize the situation and injury before you get in over your head. Maintaining calm and control is half of the battle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Also the R.A.T.S. TQ is way more versitle and doesn't limit the size of the limb that you can use it on, think about a small female or child. if you don't have an Israeli bandage, get one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

What are you guys using in your first aid kits in case you cut yourself with one of these Havalon knives? Asking for a friend....

4rcgoat

WKR
I recently added a length of dental floss to my arsenal a few years back after I got some kind of seed or something from one of those damn organic bars jammed down in my rear molars, couldn't find anything to dislodge it in the field so it eventually swelled up and got painful by the next day. Packed backed out to the truck and headed back to town early.......they say it's the little things that kill.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
What are you guys using in your first aid kits in case you cut yourself with one of these Havalon knives? Asking for a friend....

If on a finger Neosporin and some super glue. I use the glue on fabric repairs as well. But I'm looking for other suggestions to lighten my pack

mtholton

FNG
My husband has a little quirk: he always eats food prepared only with special gloves. At first it annoyed me, but then I somehow got used to it. One day I forgot to buy gloves and didn't know what to do. The only thing that saved me was that I ordered an EMERGENCY SURVIVAL KITS FOR YOU emergency kit from this website a couple of years ago, and thank goodness it had nitrile gloves in it. By the way, nitrile gloves are great for cooking, and now I always order only nitrile gloves. They are not very expensive and are more environmentally friendly.

As a full time firefighter/paramedic, if you are only going to pack one thing first aid wise, it needs to be a quality tourniquet.

Keep in mind when you are building your kit… You are either trying to buy time to get to a trauma center before dying, or keep mild symptoms mild enough to save the trip.

Everything else in the middle is just fluff and extra weight.