Alaska Fishing Gear

wildcat33

WKR
Im heading up to Alaska for my first time in about two weeks. Ill be working the Kenai road system camping and fishing with my wife. I dont have any big fish gear and was looking at picking up a spinning rod and fly rod on the cheap that would get me by.

For fly rod, Im going to grab a cheapo 8 wt and the redington behemoth reel. Cabelas has a switch rod on sale that I might try. Intermediate sink line for one all around fly line??

Spinning rod: I think an ugly stick and a basic reel will get me by. I might "splurge" on a lamiglass or shimano if its worth it. Any suggestions on a good all around setup?

Additional info: well be there late july to early august. All bank fishing and I have no f-ing clue how to salmon fish other than throw big streamers, big spoons or big spinners and see what happens.

Never been to Alaska, but in past travels anywhere outside my comfort zone local fly shops/ bait shops are my first stop. Have found most will offer good advice on local conditions because they depend on your success. Would imagine larger towns, or maybe a google search could turn up some prospects.Good luck, have fun

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Thanks fox. I will definitely stop into the local shops for flies and rigging. I plan to buy rods/reels before I go, just to save some time and money when i get there.

You can pick up an uglystick rod/reel combo for about $40, add some line, and you are set for a spinning rod. For pinks and silvers, Vibrax and Pixies are the go-to lures. They also work on rainbows and dollies.

You might consider a lighter fly rod, like a 4 wt for trout in lakes with a weight forward floating line and light leader/tippet. I really like a light rod for them, and I usually fish drys.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
Just go to trustworthy hardware in Soldotna. The have the best combo prices.
You’ll hit the red run perfect! Their late this year. You’ll need some good hip or chest waders. I believe our Fred Myers has hip boots for around $36.
Flipping for reds is simple. Look at what the person beside you is doing and copy that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
When I travel I call local taxidermist to find out good info on hunting or fishing. They are one of the few groups of people that want you to kill something and won't withhold local knowledge .

That time of year on the Kenai is the peak of the Sockeye run, locally called Reds. You will want to use a technique called flipping, also called chuck and duck or flossing. I like to use a cheapo fly rod, you have good ods of breaking one, with a decent real. The behemoth is a good choice, good value with a really nice drag. Then I like to wind on a bunch of heavy mono 20-30lb, this will be your running line. Tie on a barrel swivel and then 2-3 ft of 12-15 lb floro for a leader. Put your split shot on up above your swivel so they cant slide down to your leader. For "flies" it doesnt really matter, they are not there to feed and therefore dont "eat" anything. I usually just snell on a large hook (check the regulations for hook size limits) and put a piece of colored yarn (sold in all the fishing stores) between the snelled line and the hook. Everyone will be doing the same thing, so find some folks who look friendly and slide in nice and close. you want to all be in the same rythm of casting so that you dont cross and tangle lines. Once someone hooks up scream "FISH ON" at the top of your lungs and everyone around should pull their lines out of the way. The idea is to use the weight of the splitshot to flip it upstream at about a 45 degree angle, let it sink. Once your rig directly in front of you you should start to tick bottom every now and then. If you feel anything fishy set the hook, hook sets are free. Your trying to get your leader line parallel to the bottom and hopefully "floss" it through a fishes open mouth. You must release foul hooked fish, but dont worry once you get the hang of this most will be hooked in the head. dont worry about casting out too far, sockeyes use the banks to navigate and will be right in front of your feet. I like to find spots above rapids where fish will come to rest after they have exerted a lot of energy to swim up through the rapids. Also a good bonk on the head to "calm" them down once on shore is recommended. Slit their gills, throw em on a stringer and get back at it.

Btaylor

WKR
If you're going to do all that non-sense and call it fishing, why not just throw a fish gig on a good pole and get busy. Creek feuds would be a lot more interesting too if'n er'one had a big ol' gig to work with.

Ray

WKR
Additional info: well be there late july to early august. All bank fishing and I have no f-ing clue how to salmon fish other than throw big streamers, big spoons or big spinners and see what happens.

Rod choices are fine. You want a spinning/casting rod that can handle a 1/2 oz lure. You will be tossing a lot of weight on the main Kenai to get the fly down fast. Fly rod needs a fighting butt, and most 8wt rods have them. Make sure the fly reel has a good drag. Many fly rod flippers do not use fly line, just 25lb mono and a 15lb leader.

The one issue with bank fishing on the kenai and Russian is the overhead and behind you brush. Too long a rod and you will be having issues. Most my rods are around 8ft. Can you use a bait caster? Level wind reels are a lot more useful to pull fish in and to flip. Whippy tips and stiff butts work well for me. Lots of side arm half casts in the thick stuff if I can't flip.
BTW: flipping is basically roll casting. Real easy once you get the swing down.

One of the things to do on the first days is to take a raft float down out of Cooper Landing for a half day and get knowed up by a local guide. You will get away from the boatless horde.

Reds eat krill and shrimp, so anything "big" is not going to work. Pinks also like smaller flashy stuff. Silvers like flashy pink and purple stuff.

Fishing on the Kenai and its tributaries is heavily regulated as to the type of lure system you can use and where you can use it. You really need to download the kenai specific regulations, or wait until here and get a paper copy.

Most Kenai fishing is with flies. And not some super fancy royal coachman stuff. tie a two inch piece of glo-bug yarn to a circle hook of the right regulated size for what area you are in, and you have a fly. yarn has to be tied to the hook, and not the line above the hook. It is best if it is snelled on as some fish cops frown on the egg loop method of making a "fly". This only applies to fly fishing only sections, which is the Russian and the short area down below its confluence with the Kenai.

For first timers to flossing/flipping, I recommend buying some orange "comet" flies. They have chain bed eyes when give you a little weight to the fly and help it sink at a rate that gets it into the fish's face. That way you don't need as much split shot on the line above the fly to get it down. Easier to flip or cast if you know how to cast weighted flies.

Also find some flash flies in purple, orange, and pink.

You will need wading boots with studded sticky rubber soles. By the time you are here the rocks will be slimed up and hard to walk on. Felt soles are illegal.

I recommend heading up into the Russian River canyon and skipping all that shoulder to shoulder crap on the lower river and the confluence. Take your bear mace and some mental fortitude. The bears up there are eating and you are not on the menu, but you may upset one or two. Not that big a deal till you start doing stupid stuff.

If you want to try to catch some 'bows they can be maddening on the Russian. Way too much food and people. Tight lipped. However, they tend to like to pick up bead headed nymphs to eat something different that salmon awful. Highly restrictive size limits on 'bows and dollies. I always toss mine back no matter what size they are.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Much thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely do some extploring to get away from the shoulder to shoulder scene.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
For those throwing streamers. Whats a good all around fly line? Intermediate sink?

Beendare

WKR
My buddy just got spooled with a bigger fly rod [kings] 5 days straight last week. He did land a few over 20#.

We lost a bunch of lures last year...had a few 50 fish days though so its relative.

Light cheap tackle is a mistake IMO.

Know the regs.......

Just give me a shout when you get in town and I'll show you the ropes. 918-645-2729. Reds better be here by then and might even be able to catch 'and release' a king.

ridgefire

WKR
We are on the Russian river right now and I would suggest bringing some bear mace if you are nervous of bears at all. I had a grizzly at 25 yards and a black bear at 10 yards. They have not been a problem but they are definitely around. The Russian has been great for us for second run fish but the Kenai has been really tough. I would just buy a fly rod, it is a lot easier to do the flip with. You should have a blast.