Advice for First-Time MT Hunter

GAHunter

FNG
Classified Approved
A friend and me are doing our first public land hunt in MT. We have general big game combo tags, rife hunting, and will be backpacking in/out. We have been working to narrow the list down between a few options. We are on the fence as to whether we should focus on 391 or 392. Both seem like great options. Below are some potential pros and cons. Local and working knowledge would really be appreciated.

391: Easy access. Healthy game population, likely not going to pull a trophy, but good chance of harvesting something.
392: Easy access. Better chance for a trophy but still a sizable population. More secluded with less crowding, but a harder go physically. Great areas for glassing.

It seems like 392 might be a slightly better option to us at this point.

Is there something glaring we are missing about these areas?

Thanks to all!

If this is your first time elk hunting, I would opt for the unit with more animals and greater chance at success rather than trophy potential. The learning curve will already be steep, so don't make success any more difficult than it needs to be. Whether it happens in the first year or several years later, shoot the first legal elk that gives you an opportunity. Then you can come back and worry about holding out for a big one.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
392 is a better choice, less private property and more security/water/food. It has more rough mountainous terrain but that's a good thing.

OP
G

GAHunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks to all. The transition from treestand hunting in South Georgia swamps to 9000’ frozen public land requires a lot of research and change.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted both regions pretty extensively. During rifle in 391, all the hunters with broken legs come out and you can watch them drive the roads in circles all day long. All it takes is minimal effort to get away from them though. Down low, this region is alfalfa fields and that's where the elk are overnight. There are plenty of roads that provide the easy, road-hunting access. I was driving down one day, after a morning hunt up high, and passed an FWP officer issuing citations amongst a large group of these guys. Funny. That being said, if you get higher and are willing to walk just a teeny-tiny amount, you can leave all that nonsense behind and be virtually by yourself.

For 392, it is more rugged and fewer people but, comes with another challenge. Most of the elk come out of those mountains down the the alfalfa fields again. Save for the bigger bulls who seem to seek out their sanctuary areas in the deepest, darkest corners. The opportunities will be less but, still fun. For 392, I suggest looking at the eastern side of the mountains. Requires more hiking but, will likely yield a better experience.

Just my opinions and worth exactly what you paid for them.

OP
G

GAHunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks! Looks like our willingness to walk in deep will pay dividends either way.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
If your planning on hunting mule deer with your combo license, I'm pretty sure 391 & 392 are not general areas for mule deer. They are unlimited permit draw, which you would have had to apply by March 15th. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:

JD619er

WKR
One thing to think about is how close those units are to Helena. Rifle season draws a lot of locals to the areas around the bigger cities.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks! Looks like our willingness to walk in deep will pay dividends either way.
Walking in deep by which measure? S GA standards or western standards? Two completely different things. Shoot elk where you find elk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Krm140

FNG
Walking in deep by which measure? S GA standards or western standards? Two completely different things. Shoot elk where you find elk.

If never walked with a georgian how you know to what standards the classify as deep. Sounds like alot of the guys with western standards don't walk past the dirt road. Just saying

Marble

WKR
A friend and me are doing our first public land hunt in MT. We have general big game combo tags, rife hunting, and will be backpacking in/out. We have been working to narrow the list down between a few options. We are on the fence as to whether we should focus on 391 or 392. Both seem like great options. Below are some potential pros and cons. Local and working knowledge would really be appreciated.

391: Easy access. Healthy game population, likely not going to pull a trophy, but good chance of harvesting something.
392: Easy access. Better chance for a trophy but still a sizable population. More secluded with less crowding, but a harder go physically. Great areas for glassing.

It seems like 392 might be a slightly better option to us at this point.

Is there something glaring we are missing about these areas?

Thanks to all!
Hard work and opportunity will create success. You have some control on opportunities, but total control on the hard work. Hunt hard, hunt smart, time in the woods will put you in the position to have success.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If never walked with a georgian how you know to what standards the classify as deep. Sounds like alot of the guys with western standards don't walk past the dirt road. Just saying
Ok, genius. I was born and raised 9 miles from GA in SE Tenn and I've hunted the mountains of NE GA all the way down to central GA with a lot of Georgians. So, yes, I have walked with a lot of Georgians. One thing they are great at is writing checks with their mouths that their asses can't cash. Just like UGA football. Must be something in the water down there.

Krm140

FNG
Ok, genius. I was born and raised 9 miles from GA in SE Tenn and I've hunted the mountains of NE GA all the way down to central GA with a lot of Georgians. So, yes, I have walked with a lot of Georgians. One thing they are great at is writing checks with their mouths that their asses can't cash. Just like UGA football. Must be something in the water down there.

Great outlook on the world, you must drive the ladies wild with all that positivity your oozing!! Genius!!