Truck canopy

sparelink

FNG
Getting a new truck and will be putting a canopy on it. Looking at the mid rise models.

Anyone have any input on the differences between all of them? Any major difference? What recommendations do you all have?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I have no firsthand experience, but am in the same boat myself and have been researching the hell out of it. The consensus is ARE > everyone else. I plan on getting an MX series, outdoorsman windoors, carpeted headliner (and BedRug), rope lights, Cap Pack/Leer Locker, and sliding flipdown front window. I'm forgoing any other accessories from them because I'm confident I can do a better job myself. Eventually, I'll add some 12v accessory plugs, and tie the rear window release into the truck's tailgate release.

PNWGATOR

WKR
ARE makes a solid canopy. I have a snugtop. It’s okay. Bought the rig used and canopy was on. If it were my choice, I’d have chosen an ARE. Quality watertight shell and great hardware.

KJH

WKR
When you say "canopy" do you mean a soft topper/cap or a bed cover?

My last 3 pickups have had a Retrax (hard rollup) on them and I absolutely loved them... Totally bulletproof and secure. The downside is that that you lose 10+/- inches of bed space... and on a short box it is a pain sometimes. The most recent new pickup had a dealer installed soft rollup Truxedo on it. I always thought I'd replace it, but I've grown to absolutely love it because its easy to use and doesn't take up the space at the front. The downside is that they are less secure and you can't put things on or stand on them. I used to think the soft rollup covers were junk but my experience has changed my mind.

I've got an ARE and I really like it. It is very well lit and cozy.

Pu2Yvzxh.jpg

YJjPCvFh.jpg

QQetOlVh.jpg

UGKksZXh.jpg

oAdXCUCh.jpg

Here's how it looks now, leveled and new rubber.

JWP58

WKR
I have an a.r.e. aluminum topper with barn doors (and windows). Love it.

I've had fiberglass, soft toppers, tonneau covers, and this is my favorite.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Getting a new truck and will be putting a canopy on it. Looking at the mid rise models.

Take some measurements to make sure the truck will fit in the garage first. My F-350 has a cab-height topper on it, but the truck is higher in the back so it brushes the garage door going in and out every time. If I had one of the newer trucks with 18" wheels, or a taller topper, I'd need a new garage.

packer58

WKR
How in the hell are you guys keeping the dust out of the camper area, are the newer trucks that much tighter ? My 01 F 250 sucks dust into the camper area like crazy.......

Nickels

FNG
Both my 05 duramax and my dads 2015 Silverado both do the same thing. We are going to try those tailgate seals this year since seems like that’s where the most of it is getting in.
To the OP, my cap is a high rise ARE as I wanted room for my sleeping platform. My dads is a leer and is still “new” and has wiped the seals off the cap where it interfaces to the tailgate (bad design). He has also had some issues with it staying latched. Not saying they are garbage but for for almost 2k I’d expect better. My ARE cap is 15+ years old and I have zero complaints, my two cents.

elkguide

WKR
I'm on my 6th ARE cap over the last 20 years. I have a custom ladder rack on it to carry ladders on. (I'm a house painter.) Absolutely love them and when my accountant tells me that I "need" to buy a new truck (for tax purposes) I will top it with another ARE.

Leer sells a gasket kit. Especially on GMC the wheel well areas allow most of the dust. I added this foam into the underside of the bed rails. Also sealed the rear gate as well.

Here is the pic of rear gate seal as well as foam kit for bed rails

First 3 pics

Then I was told because my truck already had the wheel well kit, I well be good to go
Its dirty under there sorry, just got of mountain
d748a8365d1dfe5d3e53ca667f957d42.jpg
ec8174e9619222359e8e84ceb578f1c6.jpg
1eed1e212db426cf138d36ba75d01f39.jpg
ba3a9bf893613b84f71c20e07368a0e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How in the hell are you guys keeping the dust out of the camper area, are the newer trucks that much tighter ? My 01 F 250 sucks dust into the camper area like crazy.......

Mine is an '01 F-350 and I use some foam cutouts at the base of the tailgate when I close it. That's where most of it comes in. But it doesn't matter that much to me, as all I'm hauling is all my camping gear back there.

RAPTOR

WKR
ARE Z-Series here. I ran a 1.5" strip of foam tape along all the bedrails before putting the cap on. I won't have another truck without one.