Jimmy Tarp Hudson experience??

Anyone have extensive experience with this shelter? I’ve been on the fence buying one for some time. Please share your thoughts. Likes/dislikes.

09774a04e83914f647818b8d5192dd2f.jpg

Any other recommendations are welcome. My preference is shelters under 2lbs and must fit my tall lanky frame at 6’6” and be less than $500. Shelter will be used for backpacking spring bear/archery season and some early season rifle hunts.
Thanks in advance.

053a062388020dded7b2cf1883cb2e19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tick

WKR
Spent 7 nights in one last year and stayed dry during a few light rain showers. I am 6'4 and had plenty of room along the side. I wouldn't want more than two people in it with the stove. I liked the price with the stove jack, how small it packs, and Jimmy was easy to deal with.

It was my first floorless so I don't have a lot to compare too. But no complaints.

OP
danmayland
Spent 7 nights in one last year and stayed dry during a few light rain showers. I am 6'4 and had plenty of room along the side. I wouldn't want more than two people in it with the stove. I liked the price with the stove jack, how small it packs, and Jimmy was easy to deal with.

It was my first floorless so I don't have a lot to compare too. But no complaints.

Yes he’s great. I’ve purchased other shelters from him in the past.

How well do you think it will hold up in wind?

Is there anything you don’t like about it?

Tick

WKR
I didn't experience any high winds but would not expect problems with <40mph. It would not be my first choice if I knew I was going to be in an unprotected area with really high winds for several days.

I picked it up to try the floorless option and with just 7 nights in it I can't think of a reason to try something else. It will be going with me again this season.

I am 6’3” and it works great for me. Been in some rain and some tough winds and never had an issue. Will second that my interactions with Jimmy have been top notch. They made and upgrade with some additional guy lines this year so I sent it back and it was back to me within the week. The new guy outs helped tremendously in with a couple areas that were tough to control the amount of slack in the material.

speaking as someone who had one for a short time Either the Seekoutside Silvertip for a little less # or a cimarron would be a much more durable choice.Way better in windy conditions

I used mine 4 times. It did fine and, will do you fine. If someone has wind troubles in a Hudson, they likely set it up out of square. I sold it for not needing a stove option. I went to a luxe gear tent. It works well also. However, with your height, I'd definitely go with a Hudson

OP
danmayland
speaking as someone who had one for a short time Either the Seekoutside Silvertip for a little less # or a cimarron would be a much more durable choice.Way better in windy conditions

What makes the seekoutside shelters more durable? Aren’t they the same material? Also it doesn’t appear that the silvertip has guy-outs to keep the sides taught so what makes it a better option in windy conditions? What features of the silvertip do you like more? It appears the silver tip weighs 28oz whereas the Hudson weighs 24oz. Is this your experience?

Silvertip is syl nylon and has 2 guy outs.It easily pitches tight and the wind doesn't move the fabric much at all.The Hudson is sil poly and is less resistant to abrasion in my opinion

OP
danmayland
Silvertip is syl nylon and has 2 guy outs.It easily pitches tight and the wind doesn't move the fabric much at all.The Hudson is sil poly and is less resistant to abrasion in my opinion

Thanks for the input Tim!

OP
danmayland
I used mine 4 times. It did fine and, will do you fine. If someone has wind troubles in a Hudson, they likely set it up out of square. I sold it for not needing a stove option. I went to a luxe gear tent. It works well also. However, with your height, I'd definitely go with a Hudson

Thanks for the input. What luxe did you end up going with? Those are some nice shelters. A little on the heavy side but a good price!!

I went with the Mini pyramid. It does weigh more then the Hudson by a bit. And, not as big. But, the weight comes from being a heavier polyester. In equal weights, I cannot say how anyone could suggest one is more abrasion resistance. If your tent is rubbing something that this will matter with either material, it isn't going to last long regardless. Neither of these materials are designed for that. So, Here is where my advice will differ from Tim's. Silnylon can be pitched tighter in theory. It does stretch which will make it more forgiving to wind. But, it sags when moisture is introduced to it. It also requires a catenary cut along the edges of the tent or tarp in order to pitch taunt. Therefore, it requires a self tension material on each guy line in order to keep it taunt tight through the night and during any wet condition. That isn't practical with tents. Enter silpoly. It does not stretch like silnylon. It does not require a catenary cut along edges to stay taunt once pitched that way. In theory, it may rip quicker but, in my experience, that is what it is. Theory. Besides, If I'm in a place that is possible then I won't be staying in a single wall backpacking tent anyways. Choose wisely. God Bless

OP
danmayland
I went with the Mini pyramid. It does weigh more then the Hudson by a bit. And, not as big. But, the weight comes from being a heavier polyester. In equal weights, I cannot say how anyone could suggest one is more abrasion resistance. If your tent is rubbing something that this will matter with either material, it isn't going to last long regardless. Neither of these materials are designed for that. So, Here is where my advice will differ from Tim's. Silnylon can be pitched tighter in theory. It does stretch which will make it more forgiving to wind. But, it sags when moisture is introduced to it. It also requires a catenary cut along the edges of the tent or tarp in order to pitch taunt. Therefore, it requires a self tension material on each guy line in order to keep it taunt tight through the night and during any wet condition. That isn't practical with tents. Enter silpoly. It does not stretch like silnylon. It does not require a catenary cut along edges to stay taunt once pitched that way. In theory, it may rip quicker but, in my experience, that is what it is. Theory. Besides, If I'm in a place that is possible then I won't be staying in a single wall backpacking tent anyways. Choose wisely. God Bless

Why did you chose the mini pyramid over the hexpeak?

I don't need a stove option in a backpacking tent. If I was going to use it as a base camp, that would be different. Originally that was my plan with the Hudson. However, it was a no brainer after buying a true base camp tent that I was never going to use the Hudson for such use

For my use, a backpacking tent needs to be small enough that it doesn't take a bunch of ground to setup, is big enough for two if needed, would work as a castle for one, and be the perfect size for heating with a single mantle backing lantern. Enter the mini peak. Considering all this with my belief that using a teepee design for a backpacking tent option makes zero sense to me. Simply, there is so much wasted space in a teepee in comparison to a pyramid hybrid design. Over all weight is weight and, while there are light teepee's, the pyramid design is even lighter. Once again there are far better designs for wind then the teepee too. So, the slight advantage they offer over a pyramid does not equate to me.