Is it really that hard to draw in Utah?

rcb2000

WKR
So I might have a job opportunity in Utah, and I’m curious about how hard is it to draw tags every year.
Coming from Virginia where I am guaranteed at least the chance to go hunt, and also have an urban archery program, it scares me a little bit to think that I couldn’t hunt every season.
Keep in mind I am totally happy to only have a cow elk or spike tag, like they say, “fajitas don’t have antlers”
Would definitely appreciate any insight from anyone who goes through this every year, thanks so much guys

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Limited Entry Deer & Elk Units are tough to draw.
General Deer tags for rifle sometimes take 1-3 yrs.
General Deer tags for Archery are much easier to draw.
There are generally leftover Archery and muzzle loader deer tags.
There are "Any Bull" & Spike only Elk tags available OTC. Unlimited for archery.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter is twelve this year so her first year to hunt and she drew zero tags. Of course limited entry and once in a lifetime is a swing and a miss but No general deer tag with all five choices, No antlerless tags even applying in every species category.
I know the game and applied her for tags she had odds to draw and no tags. Every fall I say F Utah and travel out of state. I did cash my points in for a few tags to mentor her with. Plus side to living in Utah is Colorado and Idaho are close by.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
I live down south and usually draw a general archery deer tag every year.
The wife draws muzzy deer every other year.
I have friends that draw rifle deer every other year.
I buy an archery spike/cow tag every year without fail, we like to eat the stuff.
Have 10 points for le elk which is sort of no mans land unless you want to settle for a lesser unit.
Coming from Nevada, where nothing is ever guaranteed and can take yrs to draw anything, that yearly spike tag is a blessing!

Realunlucky touched on it, but one of the benefits of living in Utah is that you are centrally located to all of the states that have some of the best hunting in the west. You are literally smack in the middle between ID, NV, AZ, CO, NM and WY. When I lived in UT, I would apply in AZ, NV, and WY every year, and with leftover tags as described, you shouldn't have trouble getting plenty of hunting in every year.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Sounds like it’s not as dismal as some say, thanks for the input guys!
Have a great season, wherever you are.

I would hate living and hunting in Utah. I guess it would be fine if I had the cash and time to plan week long hunts to over states every year to hunt bulls. Still you're losing the benefits of in state residence where you can hunt deer and elk more regularly.

Pick your favorite species--deer or elk--and plan to hunt it for a trophy animal on a limited entry tag 2-3 times in your lifetime. Residents can only apply for limited entry hunts for one species and there's a five year waiting period after drawing, which takes ballpark 15-20 years depending on the unit. That's assuming you're youth and the system doesn't fall apart more with point creep.

General elk is really low quality. See the thread on Rokslide about this. Cow tags aren't guaranteed draw if that's your cup of tea.

You can't hunt most decent general deer areas every year because you won't draw. I think their general deer hunts are pretty solid compared to other states general hunts though.

It's not horrible but the state is poorly managed and have too few animals for the population. I hated going out in the field on general units and seeing an incredible orange pumpkin patch. I also don't like the inch counting fascination in Utah. But, I personally am not a hard core trophy guy like many in Utah are.

Last edited:

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I moved from the NOVA area to SLC, just over two years ago going on the third I have hunted every year here, this will be my third year. Its difficult giving up the urban hunting and tree stand life. Sounds like we are similar, in that a cow or spike is fine, if thats the case you will have no issues.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
UPDATE:
I drew a tag for the North Slope this season as a non resident, my first choice!
Only a 9.9% success rate, but honestly I just want to be up in the mountains that time of year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter is twelve this year so her first year to hunt and she drew zero tags. Of course limited entry and once in a lifetime is a swing and a miss but No general deer tag with all five choices, No antlerless tags even applying in every species category.
I know the game and applied her for tags she had odds to draw and no tags. Every fall I say F Utah and travel out of state. I did cash my points in for a few tags to mentor her with. Plus side to living in Utah is Colorado and Idaho are close by.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Just to recap this I applied my daughter in a unit she should have had 100% with her general deer point and she still didn't draw. Zero tags for the first two years she was old enough to hunt hate hate hate Utah and by default SFW

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE:
I drew a tag for the North Slope this season as a non resident, my first choice!
Only a 9.9% success rate, but honestly I just want to be up in the mountains that time of year.
That's one of the few units that has left over tags every year. Tough hunt for sure lots of private land

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Just to recap this I applied my daughter in a unit she should have had 100% with her general deer point and she still didn't draw. Zero tags for the first two years she was old enough to hunt hate hate hate Utah and by default SFW

That really sucks, kids should be all but guaranteed tags IMO, are you putting in for archery?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That really sucks, kids should be all but guaranteed tags IMO, are you putting in for archery?
No she doesn't do it. Sure she get one of those left over but that's extra pressure for a brand new hunter would hate for a first experience to leave a bad taste of hunting.

No she doesn't do it. Sure she get one of those left over but that's extra pressure for a brand new hunter would hate for a first experience to leave a bad taste of hunting.

Damn! She must take after her dad? 😬👉🏻"LittleMissRealunlucky"

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah you can hunt elk every year. By going archery, you're opportunities are increased. No, the OTC tags aren't that great, and its tough to get really awesome Instagram photo animals. But having lived out east, the south, and the midwest, I'd rather live out here and hunt the mountains of Utah taking 1 spike every ten years, than kill 10 deer a year living and hunting any of those regions.