Flat Tarp for Glassing Protection

ndbuck09

WKR
Hey Guys, I need to be educated on what tarp you're using for glassing in rainy conditions as well as how you set it up? What are some things to watch out for when shopping around for a tarp to use for this purpose? What have you learned in your setups?

Thanks!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
You're probably going to laugh, but I have a silnylon type tarp from Walmart of all places, weighs about 6 or 8 ounces, I'll have to check on my scale and is big enough to stuff two or three guys under comfortably while glassing in bad weather. I use my trekking poles and a couple of knock off groundhog stakes that they sell for 97 cents. The only downfall is that is blue, hasn't been a problem yet, but I may dye or spray paint it. Best of all the tarp and stakes were less than 10 bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ethan

WKR
A buddy of mine got me a silnylon tarp for my birthday. It was only 30 bucks or so and it’s 8 x 10 and weighs nothing. It has sewn in loops on the corners and the centers (lengthways). I have set it up on a straight pitch and also as an a frame. The a frame is a little small, but it’s got plenty of room for two guys on a straight pitch. I think he told me he got it from bushcraft or bushcraft USA or something along those lines???

Used my buddy’s Sheep Tarp during spring bear. Great when snow squalls rolled through. Easy to setup, and plenty of guy outs for setting on uneven ground.

mcseal2

WKR
Its not in the same class of weight as the others mentioned but if you need a little more coverage the Seek Outside DST is worth a look. It's a 10x10 tarp with a re-enforced spot for a trekking pole in the center. It can be set up with a trekking poles, a tree and stick, or sticks in the flying diamond configuration pretty quick and easy. It's big enough to make a roomy 2 person emergency shelter also. Last weekend we put mine up and set 2 lawn chairs under it and watched our catfish rods while it rained for hours. Once my buddy retreated to his tent I slept under it for the rest of the night. It rained from 8pm to 5am with some wind and I stayed dry. It would have been hard to do that under a Sheep Tarp size shelter. I thought it shed the wind and rain pretty well in a pretty roomy configuration. If you hunt with camp on your back it can be a multi-purpose shelter option for glassing and sleeping. If bugs are an issue I called Seek and they said the LBO nest works with it, but I haven't got it in and tried out yet.

mcseal2

WKR
You're probably going to laugh, but I have a silnylon type tarp from Walmart of all places, weighs about 6 or 8 ounces, I'll have to check on my scale and is big enough to stuff two or three guys under comfortably while glassing in bad weather. I use my trekking poles and a couple of knock off groundhog stakes that they sell for 97 cents. The only downfall is that is blue, hasn't been a problem yet, but I may dye or spray paint it. Best of all the tarp and stakes were less than 10 bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I've used a 5x7 Walmart tarp as a ground sheet for quite a while without issue. I don't mind ruining one at that price but it hasn't failed me yet.

FlyGuy

WKR
IMHO, Essentially anything will work, but this is why I chose the sheeptarp from Kifaru:

Glassing points can be extremely windy. A large tarp is going to be difficult to manage in high winds, so a smaller footprint is preferred. Two guys can comfortably glass from behind/beneath it, but there isn't a bunch of other material out there to catch wind. I also find that more "economic" tarps do not have tie out points that are sufficient for high winds. I have 2 or 3 of them, and they all have torn out loops on them b/c they couldn't stand the tension from the guy out lines. Secondly, in my experience the fabric in those tarps was incredibly loud in the wind. Hard to believe that it material could snap and pop into those decibel ranges. I really don't know what it was made from, some Chinese sillnylon I'm sure.

Lastly, at $108 the sheep tarp is far from expensive. And at 9oz, I keep it with me for riding out afternoon rain squalls. It beats the heck out of walking around in even the very best rain gear known to man. So much nicer to just take a nap and remain completely dry.

My .02, best of luck to you this Fall.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Tried my 8x10 sized tarp one time and realized it was way too big for just quick shade or shower protection. The smaller size of my Sheep Tarp is much easier to control and provides all the area of refuge 2 guys need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk