Sat Phone or No Sat Phone

IdahoElk

WKR
I have access to a sat phone and have used a Inreach instead for the last three years,works great!

Beendare

WKR
I've rented them a lot....a necessity sometimes to run my company, calling a pilot, etc.

If its just for emergency, I think there are better options like PLB, inReach,etc.

If you go the Sat phone rental route, get the upgraded version...some of those bottom of the barrel phones have been beat up and the antenna connection is bad.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into it and ended up going with InReach instead. Two way messaging and SOS capability. Plans are cheap too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becca's broken leg story steered me to the Sat phone. I do believe the in-reach is superior if you only want text capabilities though. Texting on the Sat phone is a pain.

I highly recommend having one or the other.

EastMT

WKR
I just got my inreach explorer, I really like the map and plb feature together. The fact that you can create a route on your computer, transfer to the gps, and text from it is nice all in one device

TEmbry

WKR
I own both. Have the new inreach mini and an iridium 9575.

They each have their uses, although I believe I'll be parting ways with the sat phone after this fall. I just don't use it enough to justify the $480 in minutes annually.

The need to communicate accurately and quickly with my pilot is what brings me back to the sat phone every year. Pilots often want real-time info on weather conditions at the pickup point. Texting works but is slower and less convenient than a 3 minute call. Then there is the advantage of talking with my wife and both of us hearing the other's voice. I always carry a PLB. For the foreseeable future, I think I'll be staying with a sat phone.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yup I'm with you Kevin being in the backcountry solo for a week it's nice to hear the wife and kids voices helps me sleep
I'm actually just the opposite. For me I prefer the simple text message from my wife (via InReach) that the house hasn't burned down and the kiddo is just fine. That's all I need, then I can stay focused on the task at hand. I don't want to hear about the neighbor's dog or what my son's teacher did today or what her mom posted on Facebook. HaHa. But seriously, I honestly prefer to stay completely disconnected from the outside world as much as possible for the entire time I'm out there, it keeps my head in the game. Just knowing she is safe puts that worry out of my mind and then I'm back to figuring out my next move. Actually Talking to my wife via satphone every day would probably just get in my head and give the "Go Home Fairy" a foothold. Once she gets in there its a daily dog fight.

(Edit) I don't hunt in AK nor do I ever have the need to contact a pilot. That might change my answer, but that's not in my foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I would be interested to hear from the InReach guys whether its 100% or not? Has anyone heard of a story where the text didn't go through ?

I know spot tells you right up front its only 96% or something....about the same as a Sat phone.

Gobbler36

WKR
I'm actually just the opposite. For me I prefer the simple text message from my wife (via InReach) that the house hasn't burned down and the kiddo is just fine. That's all I need, then I can stay focused on the task at hand. I don't want to hear about the neighbor's dog or what my son's teacher did today or what her mom posted on Facebook. HaHa. But seriously, I honestly prefer to stay completely disconnected from the outside world as much as possible for the entire time I'm out there, it keeps my head in the game. Just knowing she is safe puts that worry out of my mind and then I'm back to figuring out my next move. Actually Talking to my wife via satphone every day would probably just get in my head and give the "Go Home Fairy" a foothold. Once she gets in there its a daily dog fight.

(Edit) I don't hunt in AK nor do I ever have the need to contact a pilot. That might change my answer, but that's not in my foreseeable future.

This is me too especially with 3 under 4. If I’m on my hunt then we both agreed it was ok and committed so I just need a text that everyone is safe and sound
That being said I carry an inreach se

Gobbler36

WKR
I would be interested to hear from the InReach guys whether its 100% or not? Has anyone heard of a story where the text didn't go through ?

I know spot tells you right up front its only 96% or something....about the same as a Sat phone.
I used it a ton last year, I had some texts that didn’t go through stood up on a rock or moved about 50 yards and tried again went right through

FlyGuy

WKR

If you are down in a deep hole then the message might be delayed on the send or receive end. Hasn't been an issue for me though.

No disagreement at all. I think it really boils down to the individuals and how they best communicate. Some prefer texting vs calling. My wife is a lot happier hearing my voice and I'm pretty sure that aspect makes it easier for her when I'm on extended wilderness hunts. We keep the conversation simple and pleasant. She's my best friend (but not a hunter) so it's great to share hunt details, which she always wants to know about. BUT, from a practical-need standpoint...my main reason for a sat phone is to communicate with my pilot or possibly other entities with which texting doesn't work as well. I once had to call the (Alaska) troopers to discuss a particularly bad situation developing with a grizzly. There was also a time when I was sick enough (ehrlichiosis) to almost require evacuation for treatment.

On the flip side, I have great friends who prefer minimal or no outside contact while hunting. I respect their desires and understand why it's so. It's just a matter of what works best for you and the people you need to communicate with. I'd personally love to ditch the PLB and sat phone; going with one combo unit for convenience. I just wouldn't give up voice comms to do it.