Brother moving to St. Louis.........

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Found out last week my little brother is moving to St louis, this opens up free housing, and easy logistics for me to get out that way and have new adventures.Tell me about the hunting/fishing opportunities around that area that i might look into?

CX5Ranch

WKR
World class catfishing on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Top notch deer hunting on some excellent public lands. Start applying for and gaining preferences points for special draw only areas like August A Busch and others in the area. That area is super close to pike county Illinois. You hopefully know what that means. I would check out the MDC areas around there. There are some big islands on the Mississippi that have excellent deer and Turkey hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
World class catfishing on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Top notch deer hunting on some excellent public lands. Start applying for and gaining preferences points for special draw only areas like August A Busch and others in the area. That area is super close to pike county Illinois. You hopefully know what that means. I would check out the MDC areas around there. There are some big islands on the Mississippi that have excellent deer and Turkey hunting.

I do know what Pike County is or was supposed to be!!

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I am originally from the Pike county area. Hunting isnt what it used to be. All the outfitters took care of that.

I live in the saint louis area now. As others said, fishing on the river is ok. If you are looking for bass/crappie and have a boat check out mark twain lake. Great fishing

Southern MO has 2M acres of public land within 1.5-3 hours of stl. Decent deer and turkey hunting. There are some hogs down there too (although the state doesn't want you shooting them)

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I dont have a boat, and really wouldn't go all the way there to catfish specifically anyway, especially when we got the James River here in Virginia churning out 100 pound blue cats. I would surely do some whitetail hunting rounds there though and anything different that we may not have in virginia. Or use his place to drive out to nearby other states n see what i can get into

CX5Ranch

WKR
You and you're bro come over and bust a couple gobblers this spring....me and my buddy will head for the James.....we have wanted to do that forever.

River Rat

WKR
I’m a hour west of St. Louis, I’ve hunted on a lot of the public land around here and fish the mo.river for big catfish. Pm.any questions I’ll try to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say the number one thing you have going for you is that now you have a place to rest your head half way to the real hunting. MO does make it easy to buy a tag and there is plenty of public land. Not great hunting but there will be deer around. Turkey is pretty good in the spring. Some upland game. There is some pretty good duck hunting on the Mississippi fly way but not sure if that is your thing. Not hunting related but if you get out in the summer, take in a Cardinals game and three hours the southwest is Bass Pro Shops Wildlife museum. I have not personally seen it but my good hunting buddy said it is a marvel.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
You and you're bro come over and bust a couple gobblers this spring....me and my buddy will head for the James.....we have wanted to do that forever.

I know a great boat ramp to put in at, we went on a guided trip there one time, View attachment 75966

I have a camper u can stay in, we are about 2 hours from the part of the James with the big cats

CX5Ranch

WKR
When is fishing good? I have no idea about tidal waters

Cgeb

WKR
I live outside the Lou consider all these generalities. You can deer hunt all over the state and do well, big deer are generally Northern half of the State. I assume like anywhere if you put in the time you can find a trophy anywhere just less likely in the southern part of the State. I turkey hunt on public ground an hour west of St. Louis and do pretty well there. Ducks are all over, duck clubs can be expensive. If you like waterfowl hook up with a Snow Goose guide during conservation season, it will cost a few bucks but its a blast literally. Small game pretty much everywhere. The Upland population kind of comes and go's. Not much Pheasant but Iowa and SD are close/fairly close. They did an Elk restoration project in the Southern part of the state, don't expect a full blown season, but there has been talk of a management season (draw) in a few years. That's all I got right now.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I live outside the Lou consider all these generalities. You can deer hunt all over the state and do well, big deer are generally Northern half of the State. I assume like anywhere if you put in the time you can find a trophy anywhere just less likely in the southern part of the State. I turkey hunt on public ground an hour west of St. Louis and do pretty well there. Ducks are all over, duck clubs can be expensive. If you like waterfowl hook up with a Snow Goose guide during conservation season, it will cost a few bucks but its a blast literally. Small game pretty much everywhere. The Upland population kind of comes and go's. Not much Pheasant but Iowa and SD are close/fairly close. They did an Elk restoration project in the Southern part of the state, don't expect a full blown season, but there has been talk of a management season (draw) in a few years. That's all I got right now.

hey thats more than i knew before

sneaky

"DADDY"
There are some absolute monster whitetails inside the city limits lol. Do a google search for some of them that have gotten ran over. North of I70 for big deer, south for sheer numbers. Lots of public land opportunity in the state and licenses are not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk