Pop Up Campers

IdahoElk

WKR
Thinking about getting a Pop Up Camper for upland bird hunting and short weekend camping trips with the family,don't know much about them,any info or opinions welcomed.

This is what I was thinking about.

[video=youtube;yH6XlY46p84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH6XlY46p84&t=42s[/video]

Trial153

WKR
Yes the rockwood esp looks good. I keep looking at it and comparing it to the likes of opus and its ilk for half the cost.
Another in the running summerset E3

They are all pretty much constructed the same so once you decide you can live with the setup/takedown your deciding factors are amenities and styles.
We service all brands at our store, and when comparing like models can't really say one brand is worked on more than others.

Esse quam videri

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Look into a used (or new, if that's your budget) Four Wheel Camper. I'm in the process of rebuilding one right now (new is NOT my budget) and it's a great brand to work with.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
Look into a used (or new, if that's your budget) Four Wheel Camper. I'm in the process of rebuilding one right now (new is NOT my budget) and it's a great brand to work with.

I'm looking used also but would like to get something small as it will be used on long weekends for two.The tow vehicle is a V8 4runner so that is a factor for size.

skifunk2

FNG
We have a rockwood camper that we bought used. If you do your homework, you can find some really nice used ones around. We have the version that had the front rack (open)for storage and that is awesome. Can’t stress that enough, bikes, firewood, cooler it all can go there saving room in the car and the camper too. Also helps weight distribution. Canvas on the rockwood seems alittle heavier duty too. Layout inside is basically the same, but I like the darker colors, doesn’t show dirt as much. :)

KBC

WKR
We had an older one and I hated it. I'm sure the newer ones are nicer but ours was nothing but trouble. The second trip one cable snapped so I replaced it. The fourth trip another snapped so I replaced all of them. If you don't have the front basket to load stuff they are a pain to pack up before you leave, and then you have to unload almost everything just to set it up. The amount of time packing and setting up/tearing down is the same as tenting. Maybe if we had a full size pickup the packing up part wouldn't have been so bad (we have an Xterra) but if you have a full size pick up you can pull something with hard walls.

If it rains you need a dry spot to set it up to dry out when you get back as well.

We went back to tenting even before I sold it last year and are now saving for a bigger truck and trailer.

The pro was the forced air furnace after I upgraded to two 6V batteries. Nice and warm with the furnace running.

LostArra

WKR
My deer hunting buddy has an Aliner. It's nice and no canvas. If I was going to "pop up" that's what I would get.

OKhunter

FNG
Growing up we had a camper for all our weekend trips. I am from a family of 6 and we would all be able to sleep in the camper together and would often have a few friends included in the trip. Setting up and taking down was a pain but once you know what you are doing you can do it pretty quickly. I would recommend a camper for what it sounds like you are doing.

Fatcamp

WKR
We looked at popups but figured out we can't tow a boat behind a bumper pull trailer so decided to start working towards a fifth wheel camper.

The one you listed first really had our attention. We also looked at the No Boundaries line for a solid bumper pull. Lots of cool options out there, but I ain't camping without a boat. We currently have a really nice tent setup, but my wife wants to cut down on packing and setup time. She is usually right.

FreeRange

WKR
A couple years ago we rented a "hybrid trailer" where it's a full hard sided trailer with pop outs (not up, if you can picture that) on the front and back for large beds. I think for a family trailer it was really nice because we weren't always popping up and down and any time we stopped it was an easy thing to jump in the trailer and grab something or use the bathroom. If you're going to be somewhere for just a short time and what a place to get out of the weather and have lunch it's already ready. Pop up trailers just make me nervous in nasty weather (wind especially) and this one was a nice compromise between still being light and gaining extra space with some pop outs. This isn't the brand I used pretty sure but if you go down this page there's and example of a hybrid trailer. Travel Trailers

Just picked up this A frame popup. Love it so far. Sets up in about 2 min and can sleep 4
9313ca3bb2c972c92b253412d0f726fc.jpg

54049b73753a3053365d38def451dfbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Like others have said, a popup is just a pain to set up, have to raise it up every time you want to get in it, generally there light but not very convenient. I would also suggest you look at the Hybrid trailer with pop out beds.

My buddy used a Hybrid and seems to like it a lot, if its just him and the weather is cold or nasty he folds out the couch for a bed and leaves the pop outs folded in. Can't beat a 16 foot trailer with 2 queen beds on each end.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
Like others have said, a popup is just a pain to set up, have to raise it up every time you want to get in it, generally there light but not very convenient. I would also suggest you look at the Hybrid trailer with pop out beds.

My buddy used a Hybrid and seems to like it a lot, if its just him and the weather is cold or nasty he folds out the couch for a bed and leaves the pop outs folded in. Can't beat a 16 foot trailer with 2 queen beds on each end.

I hear what you're saying but I'm going to trailer this with a 4runner and don't want something too heavy also this will be for 2-3 days max so I don't need a lot of room.
Thanks

Buying a new camper is worse than buying a used car when it comes to loosing your value. I bought a small toy hauler July 2016, the average NADA trade-in on it now is less than half of what we paid for it. Buy a good used one and save yourself some heartache.