Pop Up Campers

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes,lots of campers for sale,it's amazing the deals out there,just trying to find the right one,I'm not in a hurry.

We anticipate that late October will be a sweet spot here. Thinking that people will be freaking out to get rid of campers. Thoughts?

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I now own my second Popup. Its a rockwood premier pop up. This thing is great. I pull it behind a v6 tacoma with no issues. 2600lbs fully loaded. The setup isnt bad at all. Takes about 10 mins alone. I use a drill adapter for the stabilizers. I bought this pop up because it has a small shower and toliet for the wife and kids to use at night. It also also an outdoor shower that ive used a few times, when 5 days in on a hunt. I went with the pop up because it tows so easy and i can tow it just about any where and find a spot to pop it up. It sits lower then the cab so i dont have to worry about low hanging junk when towing down a tight 2 track. I can see over it and around it when towing. If i got in a bind and hit a dead end, i could unhook and spin around. although fully loaded id need a hand. I get that people dont want to mess with popping it up and down, but the way i see it is i just clean everything up before i leave camp for home that way theirs no need to pop back up at home just to get your stuff out and clean up. You still have access with the door when its down and you can easily store your bags or whatever without the need to open it up. You can store quite a bit in the door access. If you do buy used, which is what i did you want to make sure the roof is straight, no humps or dips. Preferably a 1 piece roof. 2 piece roofs tends to leak at the seems. Most are all 1 piece now. Check under the underneath wood for rot, specifically the corners. You could pick a good used one up for 3 to 6k depending on accessories and how big you want.

muddydogs

WKR
I hear what you're saying but I'm going to trailer this with a 4runner and don't want something too heavy also this will be for 2-3 days max so I don't need a lot of room.
Thanks

Buddy pulls his with an old Toyota V6 pickup just fine. It's your choice but look for used as there's always lots of used pop ups. When talking to anyone that has ever had one most say the same thing, there a pain to deal with and cold to use in the fall and winter. Personally I prefer my 32 foot toy hauler but if I was looking at a popup I'd go hybrid instead.
I've heard the were only using it for a couple days at a time so we don't need a lot of room deal before, well 2 to 3 people in a 10 foot box with all there gear doesn't leave a lot of room and considering a pop up has very little storage and a small fridge you'll be glad its only a day or two by the second day. Heck my trailer has a 14x8 open box in the back but with a couch, chairs, table and 3 guys in it there's not a lot of room.
Guess I'm saying it pays to have an open mind and do some research as these things aren't cheap, have you thought about renting a popup for a weekend to see if it's what you really want? I know to many people that thought they wanted a popup until they got one.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
The advantages of a pop up is the room and the weight. You get a lot of room for minimal weight. You can pick up a really nice pop-up on craigslist for well under 10K. You don't need anything fancy. In my opinion they're all pieces of garbage. I just sold my 2012 and replaced it with a Four Wheel Camper. I lost a lot of space but I no longer have to pull a trailer and the pop ups always terrified me in the wind.

The FWC are superior in quality, ride low in the truck and are lightweight. They also hold their value remarkably well compared to other campers.

I know small Fiberglass bumper pulls are also pretty desirable. Campers such as a Casita.

Decide if ur on road or off road camping..

On road A frame pop up.. hard to find in ur budget tho

Off road some sort of four wheel camper.. there's a few other brands that are similar.

Regular pop up suck balls, outside of real 4wd campers, slide in campers are junk..

cgcox90

FNG
Just found this thread and had a question for group. I have a 08 Tacoma (V6) w/ tow package and just bought a used SunLite Skyhawk pop up camper. Goal is to be able to take back forest roads, but not necessarily any serious off roading. What truck attachments do folks recommend? Bolting to truck bed? (Heard this is a good option but have to keep in mind that bed is composite and not steel) Or turn buckle tie downs?

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpeg
    IMG_3395.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

CX5Ranch

WKR
The key to any camper is having a dry place to store it when you're home. And I would never buy one that has set outside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just found this thread and had a question for group. I have a 08 Tacoma (V6) w/ tow package and just bought a used SunLite Skyhawk pop up camper. Goal is to be able to take back forest roads, but not necessarily any serious off roading. What truck attachments do folks recommend? Bolting to truck bed? (Heard this is a good option but have to keep in mind that bed is composite and not steel) Or turn buckle tie downs?

You want bars to mount to the bed bolts and hook tie downs into those.

cgcox90

FNG

You want bars to mount to the bed bolts and hook tie downs into those.

Hadn't heard of these before. Thanks for the recommendation.