Fishing around Challis?

Headed to Challis in a couple of weeks and wondering what I should expect for fishing on the Salmon around there? Info on flies to use and hatches seems to be pretty scarce and I'm hoping to narrow things down some or at least bring the essentials. Any info on the trout fishing would be greatly appreciated.

ID_Matt

WKR
Fish aren't picky on the salmon. Stimulators and attractor patterns work fine. Silver creek outfitters posts weekly fishing reports that are worth looking in to, they post reports on the salmon occasionally. There is also a good fly/tackle shop in town that usually has some good advice. Also some lakes in the area that are worth considering.

IdahoElk

WKR
Stop in the "Bent Rod" in Challis,the owners are a wealth of information and will put you on the fish,good luck!

OP
T
Stop in the "Bent Rod" in Challis,the owners are a wealth of information and will put you on the fish,good luck!

Will do, thanks! Going for the music festival so fishing will be something for me to do in the mornings till the beer drinking begins. It's my first time finally being able to use the 3 day fishing license Idaho tacks on to my hunting license. Hopefully it's not as uppity as I remember Silver Creek being when I was younger.

OP
T
Fish aren't picky on the salmon. Stimulators and attractor patterns work fine. Silver creek outfitters posts weekly fishing reports that are worth looking in to, they post reports on the salmon occasionally. There is also a good fly/tackle shop in town that usually has some good advice. Also some lakes in the area that are worth considering.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering how educated they were, but sounds like most of my old standbys will work just fine then.

IDLassie

FNG
Better bring your own patch of road to drive on.
Really stacked and packed with tourist this season.
Have to work that weekend thank goodness. Will miss the BBR again.

OP
T
You goin to BBR....? Lucky duck!

Yeah, We've had a standing invite to go along with my sister but my wife has always said no. Surprisingly her attitude changed when her favorite guy was added to the lineup. I'd rather go there than the festivals around me that are big name pop country.

OP
T
Better bring your own patch of road to drive on.
Really stacked and packed with tourist this season.
Have to work that weekend thank goodness. Will miss the BBR again.

That's what I've been told, but at least I won't be towing a horse trailer like 90% of my Idaho trips these days.

Yeah, We've had a standing invite to go along with my sister but my wife has always said no. Surprisingly her attitude changed when her favorite guy was added to the lineup. I'd rather go there than the festivals around me that are big name pop country.

don't have any info on the fishing, but I've wanted to go to the braun brothers reunion for years. the lineup is always awesome! should be a blast

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Braun Brothers is an awesome time, wish I could make it this year. Cheap camping on the golf course if you don't have a place to stay.

Braun Brothers is an awesome time, wish I could make it this year. Cheap camping on the golf course if you don't have a place to stay.

Not anymore!

I go every year, usually making reservations sometime in late winter/early spring. This year the golf course was sold out by the time we called, so we had to find an alternate place to camp. That festival is getting very popular.

OP
T
Not anymore!

I go every year, usually making reservations sometime in late winter/early spring. This year the golf course was sold out by the time we called, so we had to find an alternate place to camp. That festival is getting very popular.

My brother in law calls the golf course at midnight every year to make sure he gets his spot reserved for an RV and a tent. He made the mistake of being a week late one year and they were full up. With what passes for music festivals these days it's no wonder why BBR is popular.