Backcountry hunting equipment?

I am going on a 2019 backcountry elk hunt. I am trying to get all my geared lined up to go on a few hiking trips this fall and spring to “practice” because I’ve never been on a back country overnight trip before. As of right now I have the essential gear I guess you could say. This is what I have so far :

Exo mountain gear 3500 pack
Crispi Nevada boots
Seek outside cimmaron shelter
Jet boil sol

This is all I have so far. I know I need a sleep system but don’t know where to even start with that because there are so many. Any suggestions? Also what other gear do I need? I’ve tried finding a good backcountry gear checklist online but can’t seem to find one. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t forget to consider location and time off year, that can change things. For example having a stove or not in your shelter. Nasty brush = more durable clothing.

One thing for a sleep system is an insulated pad. “R value” the higher the number the better. When researching a bag search for posts about it from people with a similar build, a quality bag that is too snug will annoy you causing poor sleep.

You have the right idea to practice with what you have.

There is sticky in the gear section about the Rokslide kill kit. It’s a great kit to buy or least compare with what you already have.

oldgoat

WKR
Unless you're going with somebody that's experienced at backpack hunting, limit how far you go in. I'm using a Kifaru Center Zip and Sol Lite pad, it's cheap and actually comfortable, Big Agnes is another good choice but isn't very light at all. Season and location you're hunting makes a big difference too!